Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tipping store worker that helps load car for appliance

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 11:57 pm
Do I have to tip when a store worker from say target or home depot puts a large item in my car for me. Like a grill...mini fridge...lawn mower etc. I always wonder of im supposed to be tipping them...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:36 am
Anyoneknow??

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:37 am
It's nice to but not a must. Sometimes I don't have cash so I just say a warm thank you.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:39 am
Yes you need to give a few dollars for this. This is not part of any service Home Depot offers. If you do the curb side pick-up and they load it into your car for you, then it is part of the service and you do not need to tip.

Same thing if you go to the grocery store and someone brings your cart to your car, loads your bags in the car for you and returns the cart. You have to tip them. This is also not part of the service, it is the workers trying to make a few extra dollars before or after their shifts.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:46 am
watergirl wrote:
Yes you need to give a few dollars for this. This is not part of any service Home Depot offers. If you do the curb side pick-up and they load it into your car for you, then it is part of the service and you do not need to tip.

Same thing if you go to the grocery store and someone brings your cart to your car, loads your bags in the car for you and returns the cart. You have to tip them. This is also not part of the service, it is the workers trying to make a few extra dollars before or after their shifts.

This is absolutely not true. HD has employees on staff whose sole job is to load, FYI. They are often busy and it's first come first serve but they are there for that. If you ask an associate they will send someone to help you whose job description includes helping customers to load. Besides which, I'm almost positive that the official store policy is to not allow tips. Some stores are more strict about this than others.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
This is absolutely not true. HD has employees on staff whose sole job is to load, FYI. They are often busy and it's first come first serve but they are there for that. If you ask an associate they will send someone to help you whose job description includes helping customers to load. Besides which, I'm almost positive that the official store policy is to not allow tips. Some stores are more strict about this than others.

This is all I found and did not see anything specific to tipping. https://ir.homedepot.com/~/med.....6.pdf

ETA - I am not referring to those people whose job is to load. I am referring to those who are waiting around for the chance to earn a few extra dollars. I recently bought 150 lbs of playground sand and could not find anyone to help me in any way. Not sure where those loaders were.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:05 am
watergirl wrote:
This is all I found and did not see anything specific to tipping. https://ir.homedepot.com/~/med.....6.pdf

Feel free to ask a manager or any associate what the policy is. This is what I've been told by associates.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:07 am
You wrote that loading is not part of the service that the store offers. That is not at all true, it's an everyday part of the job description for many employees there.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:08 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
You wrote that loading is not part of the service that the store offers. That is not at all true, it's an everyday part of the job description for many employees there.

Gotcha. I stand corrected.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:00 pm
Let me clarify..im not talking abt non-store employees that are waiting around outside the store. I'm talking abt store employees that come out of the store to help load the items. So they are on their salary at the time...does one tip for this?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Let me clarify..im not talking abt non-store employees that are waiting around outside the store. I'm talking abt store employees that come out of the store to help load the items. So they are on their salary at the time...does one tip for this?

Many stores, such as home depot and lowe's, expect their employees to do this and not to accept tips. In some store locations the manager is super strict about refusing tips and in others they don't care as much. It's always ok to offer a tip but it's not required by any means. The same way you don't tip the guy who gets a ladder and carries something down from the top shelf for you.

simcha2

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:20 pm
I always offer. I've had employees at certain stores decline because it was against policy to accept.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:13 pm
I always tip when someone performs a service for me like loading something heavy into a car. Similarly if someone at the grocery store helps me load packages in the car. I also tip valet parkers even though I am charged a fee from the facility to park my car.

Sometimes they decline but when I insist they take the money and thank me profusely.

I always think that the few dollars I tip has more of an impact on their economic budget than it does on mine. It is less than a latte at Starbucks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics