Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
5 week baby
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:31 am
hi can anyone help me please. My 5 week baby is up every night until 3 am. Is there a way to get her to go to sleep earlier?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:35 am
Are u nursing? Is baby crying all night? Do you think baby is hungry, gassy, or has a stomachache? What is going on?

smilemore

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:41 am
Yes I'm nursing. She keeps on falling asleep and as soon as I put her down she wakes up. Once she finally falls asleep she can sleep for 6 hours.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:42 am
This may not be the popular opinion, but consider co-sleeping.

smilemore

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:45 am
I'd rather not co sleep

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:46 am
Keep her up more during the day.

smilemore

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:54 am
She is sometimes up from 8 pm

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:11 am
Good luck OP.
Being up with a newborn night after night is HARD.
(Mom of a 2 week old newborn)

clowny

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:15 am
Exactly what one of my babies did. Here’s what I tried and it helped sometimes. It is very common that nursing does not always satisfy baby’s hunger. For her last feeding, say 11 or 12 try giving her a formula bottle and see what happens.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:16 am
What? A newborn shouldn’t have more than 1-1.5 hours of wake time, Round the clock. All babies do that age is sleep and eat. What does it mean that baby is up till 3am. Mine is up at 3am, but it’s because he woke from sleep and will be put right Back down. If he doesn’t fall asleep on his own you need to help him. White noise, swaddle, rocking, shushing, bedtime routine are all things that can help baby fall asleep

smilemore

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:21 am
That's why I at a lost what to do! She is great by day sleeps is up but comes to at night she just doesn't settle! She falls asleep and is up 5 minutes later. It can go on for hours. Then at 2:30 or 3 she sleeps for the night

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:27 am
Have you tried swaddling? It keeps them from waking themselves up.

smilemore

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:33 am
Yes I tried she kicks herself out of the swaddle

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:33 am
Unfortunately this stage isn't so uncommon. I've had it with a number of my kids. But it's HARD! I'm sorry. All I can say is that their bedtime slowly crept up until it was a more normal time. There was no real reason for it as far as I know, just their brand new selves adjusting to the world and its clock.

smilemore

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:37 am
Thank you. If I know its normal and will pass then it's more bearable. At what age did your kids adjust?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:40 am
smilemore wrote:
Thank you. If I know its normal and will pass then it's more bearable. At what age did your kids adjust?

I can't remember what age it was but the stage itself wasn't longer than a few weeks TMI I don't know if that's reassuring or not.. I remember holding my baby with tears running down my face from exhaustion and wishing she would just go to sleep already..

blessedflower

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:41 am
I learned that my baby has a better shedule if I make sure, that by day the lights are open, even if he is sleeping and at night I keep all the lights closed, even for nursing and changing diapers. With other words, I make it clear when it's night and when it's day

smilemore

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:46 am
I'll try that thanks

oneofakind

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:27 am
If you do a really good swaddle with a thin blanket, most infants can't kick out of it and it really settles them. Make sure baby is warm enough- socks really help too. Burp and burp and burp them in the evening so hopefully no gas disturbs them later.
Good luck. It's a hard time and feels like forever but it doesn't.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:31 am
Do you give him bottles? Sometimes just the nursing is not enough and usually they cry out since they're hungry. I find after I nurse if my baby crys I add 1 oz of formula and that really helps.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics