Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
5 week baby
Previous  1  2  3  Next

aimhabonim

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:59 am
Been there, done that..... Somehow managed to make it through. Just keep on telling yourself,"Gam zeh yaavor, gam zeh yaavor..." Good luck!

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:08 am
smilemore wrote:
Yes I tried she kicks herself out of the swaddle

Swaddles have to be TIIIIGHT!!! use blanket with streeettcchh.
Watch a video on how to

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Do you give him bottles? Sometimes just the nursing is not enough and usually they cry out since they're hungry. I find after I nurse if my baby crys I add 1 oz of formula and that really helps.

If a baby is perfectly content all the time and is only up that one stretch before sleeping for the night, there's no reason at all to think that nursing isn't enough.

girlishmom

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:36 am
I found my babies sleep better on their tummies

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:38 am
girlishmom wrote:
I found my babies sleep better on their tummies

Yikes. OP please ignore this

anonymrs

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:41 am
My kids were all like this. By 2 months they got over it. I found it helped a bit to make sure they don't go more than 2.5 hours between feedings during the day.

Hugs! Newborns are so delicious but it's also very stressful. Enjoy your baby!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:47 am
OP, my DD was exactly the same. The pediatrician said that some babies have "immature sleep cycles", and it takes their little bodies a while to figure it out. DD was 2 weeks early, and by the time she was a few months old she settled in nicely.

It's so, so hard! All you can do is know that this too shall pass, take a deep breath, and be patient.

If you can afford it, hire a night time baby sitter to help you out. Someone to sit with her while you catch some sleep. The sitter can bring her to you when she's hungry, and then take her back out when you are done nursing. At least then you can grab some sleep between feedings.

If you live near me I'd love the job! I'm a night owl, and I love babies. I've been searching locally for a job like this.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:51 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Swaddles have to be TIIIIGHT!!! use blanket with streeettcchh.
Watch a video on how to

DD could escape any swaddle known to mankind, within the first 24 hours of her life. She drove the hospital staff crazy! She would then kick off her socks and take off her hat, throwing it across the room. Surprised

At first the nurses thought that we were undressing her, until I made them stay in the room after they swaddled her. Sure enough, within 5 minutes she was out and happily kicking in the air.

She'd been cooped up for the last 9 months, and she was DONE with it. She wanted her freedom!

We found that a loose sleep sack worked much better. She'd stay warm, but still have plenty of room to move around. https://www.amazon.com/TEALBEE.....GS127

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:57 am
My baby is 9 weeks old. The orthopedist told me that swaddling the legs is a big no no. It's not recommended anymore.
What I did that really helped my baby sleep a little longer at night is to use a thin swaddle blanket and only swaddle the arms. The legs stay free. It's the arms that wake them when they startle.
I also give a bath at 10pm, feed her and put her into bed at that time.
As a different poster said I make sure that during the day she's in a room with the light on and after her bath the lights are closed (I can leave a nightlight or a closet light on).
B"h she's really gotten into the routine and settles down for the night after her bath.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:58 pm
My oldest was like this. What I learned with other kids was that it's important to make sure the baby isn't awake more than 1 hour at a time during the day, or less if she seems cranky or tired. Do whatever it takes to get her to sleep, even if it means the swing or nursing to sleep. Otherwise, the overtiredness builds up and kicks in at night.

Also, you may be tempted to sleep in and start your day at 11. But baby needs to learn when the day starts in order to learn when the night starts.

smilemore

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:29 pm
Wow thank you all for the ideas means so much to see I'm not the only one . I think she's confused about night and day 😕. I can't wake her in middle of the day because I'm too busy . I guess I should wait it out

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:20 pm
smilemore wrote:
Wow thank you all for the ideas means so much to see I'm not the only one . I think she's confused about night and day 😕. I can't wake her in middle of the day because I'm too busy . I guess I should wait it out

Yup she has her day and night confused. You will have to wake and feed her more by day if you want better night sleep.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:56 pm
It seems like she got her nights and days mixed up. Try to keep the rooms bright during the day, keep the window shades up and make sure the baby gets sunlight. Then as it gets closer to night dim the lights. Bathe her before bedtime, feed her and swaddle her and make the house dark. Eventually she should learn the difference between night and day.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:59 pm
smilemore wrote:

What do you mean by waking her in middle of the day? You should make sure she wakes up for the day by 8 am. That makes a big difference.

lucky14

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:26 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
My baby is 9 weeks old. The orthopedist told me that swaddling the legs is a big no no. It's not recommended anymore.
What I did that really helped my baby sleep a little longer at night is to use a thin swaddle blanket and only swaddle the arms. The legs stay free. It's the arms that wake them when they startle.
I also give a bath at 10pm, feed her and put her into bed at that time.
As a different poster said I make sure that during the day she's in a room with the light on and after her bath the lights are closed (I can leave a nightlight or a closet light on).
B"h she's really gotten into the routine and settles down for the night after her bath.

Most swaddles are loose at the legs.

lucky14

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:29 pm
I recommend the miracle blanket if your baby is getting out of a swaddle.
Also you can't be too busy to make sure baby isn't having enough awake time during the day. You are paying for that in the night time. Try whatever you can to make sure baby knows its day with lots of light and enough noise (normal noise- not like loud noise that can damage hearing). This age is very hard in this regard. Good luck.

tichellady

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:43 pm
A six hour stretch at that age is amazing. Is the doctor ok with her going that long without eating? I don’t have any advice about getting the stretch to be earlier. My baby really didn’t sleep longer than two hours until 6 months so I’m not very helpful. Good luck! Newborns are so tiring

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:57 pm
Let her fall asleep in a swing🤩

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:01 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Most swaddles are loose at the legs.

Ok my other kids I used to swaddle like a taco, the sides and the bottom held the baby's legs together. Now I don't.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 1:39 am
My baby is the same age now, and I agree she hates swaddling. I was busy doing it in the beginning, but she fussed so much. And when I unwrapped, she was happier..

Yes, she sleeps on stomach much much better. If I put her on back, ill be up every 20 min..
Forget what the dr says, it changes every few years. I do what works for me and baby.

Some of my babies had a hard time falling asleep initially. I had no choice but put them down, let them cry for a good 3-5 minutes. By then they scream and I pick them up to soothe, and they drift off exhaustedly.

It sounds cruel, but I read in baby book there's a certain normal amount of crying every baby does on average day. And if they're sleeping or held, they don't. I have to function as a mother to my other children. I find it mostly first 2 months - when baby sleeps most of the day. (Waking them doesnt work, undressing, noise, etc...)

After they get used to sleeping this time, they get into some sort of a pattern.

Edited: I put on a noise machine or music as the noise puts them to sleep.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics