Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/o - do you swear
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:01 pm
Never have and never could. It would not come out of my mouth. I don’t use the fake words either, that sound similar to the real ones.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:09 pm
Sometimes, but I need to be really really really angry. Confused

I do often have the words floating through my mind, after years of working with people who swore all the time. It's a shame, because before that I had coworkers who actually apologized for cursing in front of me.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:29 pm
Never in public, but occasionally use certain words in the bedroom that are normally considered crass and crude - or worse. Can anyone else relate, or am I the only one with a different persona when it's just me and DH? I sometimes feel guilty afterward and wonder if it's still nivul peh, or if it's okay if it enhances the moment.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:34 pm
I didn't until I got married. DH says, and I picked it up from him. I hate it.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:36 pm
Same op. It's not something I'm proud of and it gets worse when im at work and everyone around me is. Its a middah I hope to work on. I really hate this aspect of myself

turca

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:47 pm
In Spanish.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:00 pm
Is freakin considered a bad word? Like I hate this freakin weather. Or it's taking so freakin slow.
My 12yr old uses it sometimes (picked it up from classmates) and it sounds bad but I don't know if it's considered an official curse word.
Dh and I can sometimes use the word f×ck but never around kids (ours or anyone else).
Is cr+p such a bad word? It doesn't have such a terrible ring to it I find myself using it sometimes.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:04 pm
Everyone in my family says "Oh shnitzel" when something happens, they are upset, etc. Don't know how that became the "swear" word, but it works for us!

amother
Green

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:15 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Never in public, but occasionally use certain words in the bedroom that are normally considered crass and crude - or worse. Can anyone else relate, or am I the only one with a different persona when it's just me and DH? I sometimes feel guilty afterward and wonder if it's still nivul peh, or if it's okay if it enhances the moment.

Omg, yes, me. With the same guilt feelings. Thank you for making me feel I'm not the only one.

Eta, dh and I used to occasionally use words around in the house. Once we realized kids are the age of picking up words an stuff without us realizing, we stopped.

Around friends sometimes I do.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:28 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Is freakin considered a bad word? Like I hate this freakin weather. Or it's taking so freakin slow.
My 12yr old uses it sometimes (picked it up from classmates) and it sounds bad but I don't know if it's considered an official curse word.
Dh and I can sometimes use the word f×ck but never around kids (ours or anyone else).
Is cr+p such a bad word? It doesn't have such a terrible ring to it I find myself using it sometimes.

They aren't precisely cusswords but they are considered vulgar even so. It would be better not to use them around your children or your grandmother or anyone you respect whom you would not want to offend or whose respect you would like to have in return.

And you should really edit the f-bomb out of your vocabulary. Just subbing an X for the U in writing isn't a whole lot better than writing the word out. It still screams what it is. If you must, @#$%!!! is an inoffensive way of showing that cussing is going on without getting into offensive detail.

cfriedman2

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:38 pm
all the f-in time Smile

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:44 pm
No! Very Happy
The most I do is promise. Why would I swear?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:50 pm
In private under my breath. Or when fighting with dh. Otherwise I will use words like shoot or plonk or similar.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:08 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
No! Very Happy
The most I do is promise. Why would I swear?

Cuz it makes it so much more satisfying when broken 😉

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Cuz it makes it so much more satisfying when broken 😉

Ice cream satisfies me enough! Ice cream

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:36 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

My kids say freakin all the time.

While I agree with Zaq that it’s basically just a substitute for the real thing, and it bothers me terribly when my kids speak like this, to THEM it’s just another form of slang, like “yo, dude” or “SICK!”

They have no clue what they are saying, just repeating what they hear. To them it’s just the way kids speak.

I try to educate them, but with an awareness that they’re just trying to fit in and be normal. They’re good kids, BH.

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:52 pm
Grew up not frum in england
parents, gparents, aunts uncles etc all curses. Its part of our english lingo. became very hard to stop when I became frum. I slip up when I get very angry

hodeez

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:55 pm
I swore a lot when I was 13 and not yet frum. I thought it was cool smh. Now I'm repulsed by it and try my hardest to guard my mouth and thoughts.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:00 pm
imanonymous wrote:
No, and I am disgusted by the casual swearing that surrounds me in my workplace. I find it distasteful that it is considered perfectly acceptable in a place of business.

I don’t, and although I work with secular Jews and non-Jews, it is rare that anyone will curse in my presence. If they do - they immediately apologize to me, and I never say “Oh, that’s OK.” Instead I thank them and let them know that “I try to keep my ears clean.”

(My office has a kitty, where people are supposed to put in money, if they curse. Some people deposit money - in advance - and then “feel free” lol, but again - rarely within my hearing.)

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 5:21 pm
I say shucks or shoot. Do those count?

Unfortunately I got pretty desensitized to curse words after being in college with a bunch of potty mouths for a few years. The real curse words sometimes float in my head, but I would never say them in front of anyone.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette