Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/o - do you swear
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 5:27 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Is freakin considered a bad word? Like I hate this freakin weather. Or it's taking so freakin slow.
My 12yr old uses it sometimes (picked it up from classmates) and it sounds bad but I don't know if it's considered an official curse word.
Dh and I can sometimes use the word f×ck but never around kids (ours or anyone else).
Is cr+p such a bad word? It doesn't have such a terrible ring to it I find myself using it sometimes.

No. Freakin is not a bad word. I use it, my kids use it, my extended family uses it, my friends use it...maybe it at one point was meant yo replace another word, I dont know, but at this point its become adapted into regular vocabulary.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 5:30 pm
At this point, I'm able to hold back in front of my kids and around other frum people and other settings where it would definitely be unacceptable, but I find myself slipping into old habits when I'm with my side of family. As you can guess by now, that's how I picked it up. My parents are quite foul mouthed and didn't watch their language around us as kids, nor cared that we picked it up. It's something I'm working on, because I know it's bad. So, like I said, I do have control over it to the extent that I only do it in select company, so that's something. But really hard to avoid when I'm back in an environment where I'm surrounded by it.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 5:31 pm
All the time Hiding

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:03 pm
Mostly just S*@% when things don't go well but I really try to refrain.
In the bedroom on the other hand, anything goes!

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:12 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
No. Freakin is not a bad word. I use it, my kids use it, my extended family uses it, my friends use it...maybe it at one point was meant yo replace another word, I dont know, but at this point its become adapted into regular vocabulary.

It's meant to replace the f-bomb. So it's not a word that would get your mouth washed out with soap, but neither is it a term that a "refined" person would use. If you can't imagine a BY principal using it, that's a pretty good clue that you should watch how and where you use it. You should watch how you use it around your kids. One fine day they'll be having lunch with the rabbi's kids or something and innocently make the entire company very uncomfortable.

When used in the expression 'freaking out' it's innocuous. Slangy, but innocuous.

May I point out that just because you guys use it doesn't mean it's fine. The natives where I live think the f-bomb is innocuous, and think s#$@ is a word like telephone. They use it, their parents use, their kids use it, their extended families use it...At this point it's become adopted into their regular vocabulary.

Last edited by zaq on Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

tigerwife

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:13 pm
No, and it’s a pet peeve of mine.
Nu, how can you pray with a mouth so befouled? Wink

Like many posters, I became desensitized to many words after exposure at work and I hope an oopsie never slips out accidentally.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:16 pm
tigerwife wrote:
No, and it’s a pet peeve of mine.
Nu, how can you pray with a mouth so befouled? Wink

Like many posters, I became desensitized to many words after exposure at work and I hope an oopsie never slips out accidentally.

One of my coworkers would approach tough youths who were turning the air blue and ask them "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?"

He could do that--he was an ex-marine.

Last edited by zaq on Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Snickers18

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:23 pm
No. Never have and don't ever plan to. That includes words that sound similar (I wouldn't want to hear my kids say "That freakin'...") and spelling it out like *** (what's even the point?). I also don't like hearing it and will avoid clips that I know will contain profanity.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 6:52 pm
I’m on TikTok a lot and feel like it desensitized me greatly. Literally every video is full of songs with vulgar language

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:21 pm
Does kutcha feia neki count Wink

(Don’t use it, but that was said in my house a lot growing up)

Any other Hungarian descendants?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:45 pm
Also cringe from people who don’t curse but do use acronyms like WT* or LMAO. Darling, what are you SAYING?

Oh well.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:46 pm
My husband does. And now my kid does too Mad it’s NOT funny.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:06 pm
I grew up in Australia and swearing was not a big deal. ****, freaking, bloody - they weren’t even considered swear words. Teachers swore sometimes, students swore - sometimes at teachers.
When I moved to the US I was honestly taken aback by how rarely I heard any form of swear word and if I swore it elicited a somewhat shocked reaction.
I do not consider someone to be unrefined because they swear in a heated moment, sometimes it expresses an emotion perfectly.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:57 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Everyone in my family says "Oh shnitzel" when something happens, they are upset, etc. Don't know how that became the "swear" word, but it works for us!

Lol, that's what DH and I say!

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 5:38 am
Op I’m exactly in your shoes. I’m used to swearing a lot and I’m trying very hard to stop

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 6:22 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Op I’m exactly in your shoes. I’m used to swearing a lot and I’m trying very hard to stop

Let's become buddies. We'll do the book-old trick, every time we slip we pay the other $1 ( or maybe it should be $10 by now).

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 7:50 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
No. I've conditioned myself, in a moment of overwhelming stress or anger, when a word will inevitably slip out- to twist the word. So "shoot". , "fuch", whatever...

It helps take the edge off

I say shoot a lot.
My MIL who is not English speaking always thinks I’m saying sh*t
I tried explaining to her but she will always see the negative in me.
Oh well, her problem
I try not to say it in front of her
We don’t see her often, B”H

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:03 am
I've been known to swear when under sudden, extreme pain.

Once though, I broke my toe while babysitting my rabbi's kids. I was extremely proud of myself that I was hopping around, and the only 4 letter word that came out of my mouth was "OWIE!"

I do like coming up with "kosher swears" though. "What the Flying Ferrets?" seems to have become quite a popular one of mine. LOL I also like to spell out OMGoodness or OMGosh, just to be very clear.

A friend of mine's mom says "Cheese n'rice!" The absolute worst thing I have ever heard my dad call someone is "turkey butt", and that's only if he is absolutely furious with someone. A regular jerk is just a "turkey".

A friend of mine has a wonderful habit. If she wants to curse someone, especially someone who has really done her wrong, she will stop and take a deep breath. Then she will say "They should live and be well." She turns all of her curses into a blessing, and won't utter a bad word against anyone. (She blesses her ex husband a LOT!)

If anyone has ever watched "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt", you know that the charm of Kimmy is that she has no idea how to say bad words. She says things like "Shut the back door!" and "What the waffles?" It's really adorable.

singleagain

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:32 am

singleagain

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:32 am
Also there have been studies that prove that cursing when you stub your toe or otherwise have physical pain can actually reduce the physical pain.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette