Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Computer programmers of Imamother
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:51 am
Hi fellow computer nerds!!
Just for fun...
What kind of company do you work at?
How long have you been there?
What languages/techs do you use on a daily basis?
Do you hate/like/love your job? Why?

I'll start, I work for a defense contractor in NJ, been there about 8 months. It's a massive company with close to 50,000 employees.
I mostly use C++ in visual studio
So far I love it BH!

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:29 pm
Work from home for 15 yrs same small company. Mainly window apps, web services,installers. Develop solutions for large factories and supply chain.
Before that worked 2 yrs doing embedded programming.
Right Now mainly c#, .net, some sql. Used to do c++ - still do but I’m too lazy a programmer now. Getting into some java cloud and mysql work now.
My problem is a lot of my knowledge is very out dated and I’m not motivated - nor do I have the time - to update my skills.
And I like working from home. The only way up now is to go into management and that would mean returning to the office which I don’t want.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:45 pm
I have been working in FinTech for 15+ year. I switched from a start up to a large corporation a couple of years ago. I work with .NET/C#, SQL Server and REST APIs. We used to work from the office, but the office is closed because of COVID-19, so I am working from home now. It makes short Fridays much easier!

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:52 pm
OK this may surprise you.
I work for a company that outsources products that are used by most major insurance companies in the US. I've been on a project for a major insurance company in the NY area for most of my working years. Been with them for over 20 years.
And I'm still maintaining/enhancing their backend systems.
I work in COBOL and ASM.
I also know alot about life insurance and annuity products.
The claim system I wrote years ago is used by most insurance companies today.
Yep, there are still some dinosaurs out there.
I love my job.
I work from home and know all my coworkers by voice and skype.
And boy is my knowledge outdated, which does scare me a little.

hodeez

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:53 pm
I work at a leading credit card company. I've been here for a little over a year and I love it. Daily I use javascript, nodejs, html, jQuery.
I'll say it again-- I love my job Smile

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:54 pm
5+ years, financial services. python, javascript, some java as needed

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 1:58 pm
Do unofficial programmers count?

I'm self-employed, but use bits of programming all the time.

I primarily use PHP, some MySQL, a bit of shell scripting, Adobe ExtendScript (basically Javascript), some Applescript. I automate pretty much anything repetitive I can.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:20 pm
Hi! Study
Why is there no geek emoji? Have to use the book one instead...
Fellow software developer here, I use c# and AngularJS for my current job as a web dev. I have a love/hate relationship with my job... I work for a really small company with bh really nice coworkers and very relaxed environment, but this place feels like a dead end job as there's no room to grow. Not actively looking but would consider a new job if it came up.

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:24 pm
I worked for a real estate consultant, developing software to review clients' portfolios for variations in expenses, taxes with an eye to cost reduction.

I developed software to run a yeshiva office, including tuition and billing, donations, and academic recordkeeping.

I mostly work in Access.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:27 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I work for a company that outsources products that are used by most major insurance companies in the US. I've been on a project for a major insurance company in the NY area for most of my working years. Been with them for over 20 years.
I work in COBOL and ASM.
I love my job.

COBOL??? Wow you're dating yourself!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:28 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I have been working in FinTech for 15+ year. I switched from a start up to a large corporation a couple of years ago. I work with .NET/C#, SQL Server and REST APIs. We used to work from the office, but the office is closed because of COVID-19, so I am working from home now. It makes short Fridays much easier!

How did you find the transition? I went straight from college to corporate and so far I like it but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be happier in a startup... sometimes I just feel like a tiny cog in the wheel IYKWIM

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:30 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I work in COBOL and ASM.
I love my job.

You'd be surprised at how in-demand it still is! Someone needs to keep the lights on in the systems you built! (I'm the amother who works in financial services...)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How did you find the transition? I went straight from college to corporate and so far I like it but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be happier in a startup... sometimes I just feel like a tiny cog in the wheel IYKWIM

There are pros and contras. The corporate job has better benefits, longer vacation and everything is cloud based or in the process of migrating to the cloud. The start up had camaraderie, less formalized processes and more direct contact with the end users and devops.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:14 pm
Does anyone here have internship openings in their company? My dd is looking.

I am actually also a programmer although now I mainly do business analysis and write specs for the programmers, I still program - mainly in SQL - and I love it!

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:24 pm
I’ve been a programmer for almost 20 years! Been working from home for the last 16.
I work for a frum company that has a brick and mortar store in NY, but a much larger online presence.
Currently, I mainly work in PHP MySQL js jQuery...
I used to work in C# and I miss it soo much!!
When I first started out people tried to dissuade me - telling me I would have to work from 9-5 in the city. BH I went ahead with it - I’m making a nice salary and I’m home when my kids get home.
I think it’s an amazing job for frum women - and I tell it to any young women who will listen 😂!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:08 pm
Very proficient in LAMP but don't do much server admin anymore. Still do web based applications, WordPress config, and started programming in Access and vba now. Still prefer Linux systems over Windows. Used to program in Asterisk as well.

But that's only on the side. I do a lot of non programming stuff these days as my main job.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 11:54 pm
worked in perl a bunch of years. android java 2 years, php 4 years, smattering of js, c++, c#,
been in the field 20 yrs (with a ~3 yr break in the middle)
I work from home part time as an hourly employee now. great for corona and def has its advantages, but I way prefer working in an office.

polished

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 12:10 am
I wish this wasn’t all anonymous.
I am a technical recruiter.
I have a really great work from home position for a New Jersey based firm. They work in security.
So applicant must be resident of US.

Main technologies are python, Java, node amd working with open source.

If anyone is interested to hear more or has someone to recommend. Please reach out to me

Oh and also: great pay

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 5:22 am
My ds is graduating now. What wisdom can you all share before his job hunt about the different industries to work in? He doesnt want financial or health care. Is leaning towards start ups or not giant corps.

e1234

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 5:25 am
I'm a computer programmer for over 20 years.
self employed for 16

I do programming in asp classic , c#, php,mysql,sql server , javascript,jquery and more
All web and database programming
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics