Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Baked Salmon with Honey Sesame Chili Teriyaki Marinade

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:11 pm
This was another winner especially if you enjoy Asian flavors. Very easy to make and easy to scale up for additional servings. It is especially easy since you can prep the fish up to two hours ahead and then pop in the oven. You could even speed up by making the marinade in advance and then putting the fish in before cooking. Don't marinate over two hours because the fish will start to "cook" and develop an unpleasant texture.

It is also much healthier than a commercial Asian teriyaki sauce since the sweetness comes mostly from the orange juice and not from high fructose corn syrup.

Baked Salmon with Honey Sesame Chili Teriyaki Marinade

Excerpt From: The Chew Approved: The Most Popular Recipes from The Chew Viewers.

Serves: 2

½ cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
2 oranges, juiced
2 tablespoons honey
¼ cup scallions, chopped
1 tablespoon red chili pepper, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sriracha
2 6-ounce salmon fillets (skin on)
Nonstick cooking spray

1. For the marinade, mix together all of the ingredients, except the salmon and cooking spray. Place the salmon in the marinade and cover in the fridge for 30 minutes, and up to 2 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 450°F.

3. Lightly grease a baking sheet with nonstick spray.

4. Remove salmon from the fridge while oven is preheating. Transfer salmon to a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes for medium doneness.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:40 pm
This sounds soooo good. If only I had the recipes today! Definitely making for Shabbos Smile thanks!

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:41 pm
icebreaker wrote:
This sounds soooo good. If only I had the recipes today! Definitely making for Shabbos Smile thanks!

Let me know if you like it - it was a hit with my audience. Smile

We are partial to Asian/Chinese flavors.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:03 pm
this sounds fantastic--I love that it's teriyaki without a bottled teriyaki sauce or added sugar. I don't have sriracha though do I need to get it, or is there something else I could sub? I think I have hot sauce (franks?). Also do you think the sesame seeds need to be pre-toasted, or I was thinking of using untoasted ones, but maybe instead of mixing into marinade, I could sprinkle them on top of the salmon towards the end of cooking, thereby adding the toasty sesame factor without the separate step of toasting the seeds first?

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:26 pm
Odelyah wrote:
this sounds fantastic--I love that it's teriyaki without a bottled teriyaki sauce or added sugar. I don't have sriracha though do I need to get it, or is there something else I could sub? I think I have hot sauce (franks?). Also do you think the sesame seeds need to be pre-toasted, or I was thinking of using untoasted ones, but maybe instead of mixing into marinade, I could sprinkle them on top of the salmon towards the end of cooking, thereby adding the toasty sesame factor without the separate step of toasting the seeds first?

You can sub hot sauce for sriracha but a bottle of sriracha is inexpensive and it’s a useful additi9n to your pantry especially if you like Asian flavors.

I think sprinkling the sesame seeds would work. They aren’t a critical component to the flavor of the marinade.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:38 pm
ok sounds good Smile I love Asian flavors so I will take your advice and check out the sriracha sauces next time I'm at the store.

thanks again!! I think I've said this before, but it's worth repeating--every time I see a new recipe post with an especially appealing sounding name, I tell myself this sounds so good it must be from Amarante--and it always is!! Smile

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:40 pm
(for Asian heat sometimes I use hot toasted sesame oil but I'm actually out of it right now)

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 10:25 am
I have to confess that I am not a real hot sauce maven. There are people who are fanatics about the stuff and I once went to a store in Pasadena that sold only different varieties of hot sauce. There are now hot sauce of the month clubs as well.

I have Tabasco Original Hot Sauce for my generic hot sauce needs - Bloody Mary and Gazpacho or whatever. From what I have read, Frank's Hot Sauce is somehow different because it is used for Buffalo Chicken Wings - I wouldn't know except for some reason I got a bottle for a specific recipe once and it just seemed like hot sauce. It might be a bit milder than classic Tabasco which is my go to

I have some of the hot Asian oils for when one of my Asian dishes has it as a specific requirement.

But so many recipes now specify sriracha so I added it to my pantry and use it for Asian dishes. It is supposed to have a distinctive taste but I don't eat the stuff out of a bottle or even as a condiment for eggs or whatever so any distinctive flavor is going to be diluted anyway.

In a recipe like this, I don't think it would make any difference what kind of hot sauce you use for the heat since there are so many other stronger flavors going on. Taste the marinade and if it isn't hot enough add a few dashes.

I did have a cooking disaster when I made Jerk Chicken for the first time and tracked down Scotch Bonnet peppers. I had no idea of how hot they were and just merrily whirred them - seeds, pith and all - in the blender for the Cuisinart. The chicken was way too hot for any normal tongues. LOL LOL

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Nov 04 2020, 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 11:17 am
I just discovered this recipe so I haven't made it yet but it's on top of my to try pile - not literally a pile anymore since my recipes are all digital but I have a digital "pile". LOL

I am adding this because I think it would go really well with this dish - or really any Asian dish. I have a go to Asian Fusion Coleslaw that I make a lot and I will make that in a larger quantity because it's such a good nosh to have around - but I digress. Very Happy This can be made ahead of time since the flavors need to marry anyway. I have seen recipes for Asian style cucumber salads but this one seems exceptionally interesting based on ingredients.

The recipe essentially provides a recipe for making your own chili garlic oil. When I make it I might use peanut oil or a combination of peanut and sesame oi instead of the canola oil for additional flavor. And you could probably make up a bigger batch of the chili garlic oil to have around.

CHILI-GARLIC CUCUMBER SALAD WITH SESAME

Excerpt From: Karen Tedesco - Family Style

Cooling, refreshing cucumbers are so, so good paired with the contrasting flavor-bomb of garlic and spicy chili. It’s almost as though they were born to be together. Briefly heating the garlic and crushed red pepper, or chili flakes, in oil tamps down the pungency of the raw garlic, creating a tasty, infused oil to dress the salad. A full teaspoon of chili flakes makes a spicy oil that I happen to love, but feel free to adjust the amount to suit your taste.

SERVES 4

3 tbsp (45 ml) avocado or canola oil
2 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane or finely chopped
½–1 tsp crushed red pepper, to taste
6 Persian cucumbers (1½ lbs [680 g]), sliced into 1-inch (2.5-cm) half-moons
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp brown sesame seeds
½ cup (15 g) torn fresh mint or (6 g) cilantro leaves (or a combination)
2 tsp (10 ml) rice vinegar
1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh lime juice
3 tbsp (30 g) chopped unsalted roasted peanuts

Place the oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat as soon as the garlic is fragrant and sizzling, about 2 minutes; be sure not to brown the garlic.

Put the cucumbers in a large bowl. Sprinkle them with the salt, sesame seeds and mint leaves, and toss them gently. Pour the garlic oil over the cucumbers, then sprinkle them with the vinegar, lime juice and peanuts. Toss the salad to combine everything and serve.

This cooling salad is the perfect partner with bold, spicy dishes.

icebreaker

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 6:40 pm
Just wanted to come back and say this was a HIT!! My family loved it!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics