Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Should I take it home? Time sensitive

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 7:56 pm
I’m at a non Jewish venue and someone left a small bencher here from a bar mitzva. I’m worried if I leave it here it will get thrown out. But then do I have to start worrying about doing hashavas aveda for this small item that I doubt the person even misses? Would you take it?

thanks

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 7:57 pm
Yes, I would take it home. Post a picture of it as your whatsapp status, and see if anyone claims it.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:39 pm
I would probably put it in Shaimes or use it around the house. I don't know that you're obligated to search for the owner if it's just a party favor from some wedding or other simcha.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:10 pm
Do your due diligence and announce the find wherever it makes sense to do so. Maybe there's a bulletin board where you can post "if you lost a bencher from Howie Grafinkle's opshern, call 607-772-7272. "
Questioning whether this is something a person would even bother looking for or would mentally hefkerize anyway. Most people probably would hefkerize it but if it's Howie's grandmother, maybe not. AYLOR.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:58 pm
I would take it as it might go out in the garbage. I would ask my LOR what should be done with it after.

A similar thing happened to me. A hotel was closing down and was selling all it stuff. I went looking to see if there was anything worthwhile and in the janitors closet on the floor with garbage I found a bentcher from a bar mitzvah. I asked them if I have to pay for it but they said its a religious item so I could have have it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions