Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken that cooks in a crockpot will look like this?

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 9:55 am
Really? Chicken that cooks in a crockpot will look like this? This looks like Baked Chicken (maybe even a little grilled looking) with crispy skin.

Softest Chicken Ever
This recipe starts by marinating the chicken overnight to infuse it with awesome taste in every bite. Cooking it in a Crock-Pot results in chicken that literally falls off the bone. You’re going to love it!

SERVES 4–6

1 whole chicken
olive oil, for drizzling
1 large onion
3 small-medium sweet potatoes (approx. 1 lb/450 g)
MARINADE

3 Tbsp olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
5 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1⁄2 tsp oregano
3⁄4 tsp thyme
1⁄2–1 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper, to taste
3 Tbsp honey
Whisk marinade ingredients together. Trim excess fat from the chicken. Smear marinade all over chicken, inside and outside. Place skin side down in a pan, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of a 6–8-quart Crock-Pot. Slice onion thickly into half-circles and place in pot.

Carefully place chicken, skin side down, on onions. Scrub sweet potatoes and cut in half lengthwise. Place on and around the chicken. Pour marinade over all. Turn on high and cook for 5 hours, or until ready.

(Originally featured in Family Table, Issue 716)

https://mishpacha.com/softest-chicken-ever/

crust

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 10:02 am
No.

Looks like a good recipe btw

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 10:19 am
I’ve seen a recipe for crockpot chicken and it says that after cooking you can put in it in the oven (not in the crockpot insert) to broil so that is crisps the skin.

Maryann

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 10:24 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I’ve seen a recipe for crockpot chicken and it says that after cooking you can put in it in the oven (not in the crockpot insert) to broil so that is crisps the skin.

what a pain. once I transfer the food, the food will fall apart and not looks so appetizing

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 10:38 am
Chicken in the crockpot needs a really generous dusting of paprika, more on the skin once it's nestled in the pot. It comes out beautiful that way.

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 10:41 am
ra_mom wrote:
Chicken in the crockpot needs a really generous dusting of paprika, more on the skin once it's nestled in the pot. It comes out beautiful that way.

With the very appetizing charred look, like in the photo?

The recipe says "Carefully place chicken, skin side down, ..."

I doubt it. I think with the skin side down it will look more like chicken cooked in chicken soup.

Maybe after 5 hours it will be browned, but no crispiness, unless I deliberately burn the chicken.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 11:52 am
it sounds like a fantastic recipe though--with oil on the bottom and no added liquid, I think the part touching the bottom could get a bit brown. but what does skin side down mean with a whole chicken? do think it was supposed to say breast side down?

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 12:09 pm
Odelyah wrote:
it sounds like a fantastic recipe though--with oil on the bottom and no added liquid, I think the part touching the bottom could get a bit brown. but what does skin side down mean with a whole chicken? do think it was supposed to say breast side down?

Youre right! I didnt think of that.

Theres skin on the top and bottom, and cant all lay on the bottom of the crockpot at the same time.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 12:32 pm
highly unlikely. they have food stylists who do for food photo shoots what fashion stylists do for models in fashion photo shoots. these have no connection to real life.

IME, sweet potatoes put in a crockpot the same time as the chicken and doused with a marinade will fall apart long before the chicken is ready to serve. YMMV.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 1:43 pm
Mevater wrote:
With the very appetizing charred look, like in the photo?

The recipe says "Carefully place chicken, skin side down, ..."

I doubt it. I think with the skin side down it will look more like chicken cooked in chicken soup.

Maybe after 5 hours it will be browned, but no crispiness, unless I deliberately burn the chicken.

Not a charred look- unless you're using a pasty mix and really rubbing it into the skin, like with chili powder, coriander, etc.

Whatever you put on stays. (Don't pour liquid over or it will wash away.) The skin doesn't crisp or char. But after experimenting a couple of times, you learn how to use the crockpot in a way that gets you tasty and appetizing results.

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 2:05 pm
There is no way that recipe will get you those visual results. I agree op. And then you wonder where you went wrong with your recipe🙄

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 2:41 pm
mizle10 wrote:
There is no way that recipe will get you those visual results. I agree op. And then you wonder where you went wrong with your recipe🙄

You can tell the chicken & veggies were cooked in the crockpot, but a kitchen blow torch seems to have been used to make the skin more visually appealing.

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 2:44 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can tell the chicken & veggies were cooked in the crockpot, but a kitchen blow torch seems to have been used to make the skin more visually appealing.

No where in the recipe does it mention a blow torch LOL LOL LOL

Odelyah

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 9:39 pm
no but I noticed that in the intro to the section on crockpot recipes she does mention broiling chicken afterwards for color..

Amarante

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 9:52 pm
I've made chicken in the crockpot a number of times. It is sometimes called Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken.

Not only does it not look like this but it literally collapses because the collagen in the bones has essentially disintegrated during the long slow braise.

Don't get me wrong - it's very easy and very delicious - the meat is savory and succulent but it in no way resembles any roast chicken anyone has ever seen. I wouldn't serve it for a company dinner because it tastes good but looks awful and nothing to be done about that. I generally take off the skin anyway because it just creates a lot of fat and turns into a slimy mess anyway.

avrahamama

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 10:34 pm
I have one Crock-Pot that really does get the chicken to look like that. But not and overnight recipe. It's usually something I can put in at noon and it's ready for dinner. And yes the skin gets crispy. But I have 3 croclk pots and only one of them gets that results.

And no charred look but yes to a nice color and crisp

sky

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 10:44 pm
Someone on insta once wrote how a lady called her all upset that a cake she baked looked nothing like the picture.
The author said of course not. To photograph so nicely you have to double or triple layers. The photos aren’t real life.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 8:38 am
Ooh, OP, planning your own cookbook? With or without (I presume she's) cousin Kim?

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 1:25 pm
When I've cooked the Crockpot Rotisserie chicken I just use four wadded balls of tin foil to elevate the chicken above all the fatty liquid that winds up at the bottom. I wouldn't particularly want to eat anything that was cooked in that liquid anyway so putting food at the bottom - IMO - is a waste.

You can cook with any spices or herbs you like. As I recall the original recipes use some form of McCormack's spice blend to give it the rotisserie chicken spice flavor.

You do cook with the breast side up because otherwise the breast and the legs just become unpalatable from steaming in the liquid at the bottom which accumulates. As I posted, I generally take off all of the skin and fat from the bottom of the chicken and just leave some skin on the breast on top so it doesn't dry out completely. The skin isn't that good (at least IMO) cooked in a crockpot so I discard it before serving anyway,

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 1:35 pm
For a pretty, delicious, roasted chicken texture cook a full bird breast side down on low for 6 hours. The breast gets the little bit of juices that release while cooking and comes out great. Nothing underneath as root vegetables need longer and then you'll end up with mush chicken. Leave the skin on which helps keep the chicken juicy and not dry. Use extra seasoning as the crockpot can dilute flavor. Make sure lots of the seasoning ends up under the skin, then pull the skin back on and coat it well with paprika for color.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey