Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Forbidden costumes
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 8:41 am
After repeated "mess ups" in the costumes in dh's community (guys showing up for megilla reading dressed up as Hitler), the rav there has made a lit of forbidden costumes.
Anyone has something similar? what's on "your" list?

From what dh told me, I remember:
anything with a cross on it (monk, priest, pope...)
Arafat
Nazi/Hitler
man in woman / woman in man
suicide bomber/terrorist
women taking the excuse of Purim to show up in outrageously untznius clothes (although I suppose the standards of outrageous are much stricter there LOL)

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:10 am
one of my relatives dressed up as santa claus one year- it was hysterical! that was in a MO community/shul. but that's a different darga than what you listed.

Atali

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:24 am
Can I add another one to the list?

How about:

Anything rooted in avodah zara- witch costumes, devil costumes, etc.

mimivan

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:34 am
Ruchel wrote:
After repeated "mess ups" in the costumes in dh's community (guys showing up for megilla reading dressed up as Hitler), the rav there has made a lit of forbidden costumes.
Anyone has something similar? what's on "your" list?

From what dh told me, I remember:
anything with a cross on it (monk, priest, pope...)
Arafat
Nazi/Hitler
man in woman / woman in man
suicide bomber/terrorist
women taking the excuse of Purim to show up in outrageously untznius clothes (although I suppose the standards of outrageous are much stricter there LOL)

guys showed up at a megillah reading dressed up at Hitler yimach shemo...You've got to be kidding me... shock Mad

actually there are Arab terrorist costumes in Mea Shearim... Exploding anger go figure...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:45 am
some guys have a sick sense of humour around there

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:52 am
Oy! And, to think that my daughter wanting to show up as a pink French Poodle (she's almost 3) was something I shuddered at (being its an unkosher animal) and tried talking her into being a cute little cow...
I guess some folks just "milk" the opportunity to dress decadently for Purim for all its worth!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:57 am
Anylthing too much like Halloween - like ghosts, and the mishloach manos - nothing like Easter !!!!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:04 am
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:

I guess some folks just "milk" the opportunity to dress decadently for Purim for all its worth!

yeah

I have asked dh about unkosher animals, he said it was ok... he remembers the rav's son was a lion, years ago, for Purim.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:29 am
So, do I have to return my 2 year old's Winnie the Pooh costume because it's a bear which is unclean? Gimme a break. Let's dress all our kids up as whitefish. That's kosher. Better yet - gefilte fish. Nice and Jewish LOL

maidale

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:38 am
c'mon, there's no comparison between winnie the pooh, and hitler Yimach Shemo!!! That's absolutely tasteless and disrespectful.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:39 am
I mentioned Winnie the Pooh in response to "He sings to me"'s post about her daughter wanting to be a French Poodle. REad the thread before you accuse me of being disrespectful.

maidale

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:43 am
I didn't accuse YOU of being disrespectful, just the guy who has NO BRAINS and shows up to SHUL in a hitler costume. Seriously, how stupid can people get??? there's absolutely NO HUMOR in that.

tovasmom

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:45 am
DH and I have instituted a policy -- no costumes from movies or TV -- not in the proper spirit of the holidays. We can quibble as to what that means, of course -- are characters from secular books ok, for example? But the kids get it, pretty much.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:46 am
LOL Maidale. I thought you meant me. Couldn't imagine why you thought I was disrespectful LOL

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:47 am
ChossidMom wrote:
So, do I have to return my 2 year old's Winnie the Pooh costume because it's a bear which is unclean? Gimme a break. Let's dress all our kids up as whitefish. That's kosher. Better yet - gefilte fish. Nice and Jewish LOL

OK, we're MO, but one of our rabbis was Winnie the Pooh a few years ago. Hopefully, no one will be tempted to eat any of the kids, so considering the kashrut of the animals seems a little silly.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:52 am
my kids are tigger, pooh, and piglet. they are cute characters. I dont think we have to dress like not good influenced characters but cute little animals is ok, they dont look like the real thing too much anyways

Kmommy18

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:55 am
Here's how I decide if a costume is inappropriate: I think to myself how would I feel if I met my high school principal in the street on Purim and she saw how my kids were dressed? Would I cringe with embarasment? If yes, then the costume is inappropriate.

Obviously some costumes require no brains to know they shouldn't be worn (like hitler Yimach Shimo). But some costumes are in the gray area so this is the formula I use to decide.

AGINY

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 12:07 pm
ChossidMom wrote:

Actually, ChossidMom, we have the minhag not to have kids interact with not kosher animals at all - no books, no stuffed toys, no teady bears on clothing. I am always suprised hwo hard it is to find a treif animal free outfit in boro park.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 12:09 pm
are you lubav? cuz it's the only ppl I know that have this minhag. and no kidding, bp doesn't cater to the lubav crowd really.

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 12:19 pm
AGINY wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

Actually, ChossidMom, we have the minhag not to have kids interact with not kosher animals at all - no books, no stuffed toys, no teady bears on clothing. I am always suprised hwo hard it is to find a treif animal free outfit in boro park.

Really curious about this. So your kids couldn't ride a horse, or even read a book taking place prior to the 20th century in which kids ride horses? No Charlotte's Web? No zoo? No cats or dogs or hamsters?
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics