Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Forbidden costumes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 4:29 am
mimivan wrote:
Kmommy18 wrote:
Ok I know for a fact that Bais Rifka High School teaches "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. Is it ok if it's for educational purposes?

When I taught at Beis Rivka in CH, we read Lord of the Flies and there was a pig head in that book. (and alot of other stuff...)

that book is creepy! the pig head is not the worst thing, although the talking stuff creeped me out big time

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 4:32 am
There is a Jewish firm in France that has a logo with two little pigs, dressed as Alsacians, and dancing.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 7:40 am
Atali wrote:
Besides, they aren't healthy anyway.

They takeh aren't a cucumber, but they don't have trans fat - they are just a sweet carb.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 7:41 am
mimivan wrote:
Zus wrote:
I am with Ruchel. And no I didn't say that CM is off topic just to stir sh*t. I actually meant it.

Hey, nice language... Rolling Eyes

You see why not having her friendship isn't breaking me up.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 9:01 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Atali wrote:
Besides, they aren't healthy anyway.

They takeh aren't a cucumber, but they don't have trans fat - they are just a sweet carb.

They have hydrogenated oils.

Kmommy18

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 10:36 am
mimivan wrote:
Kmommy18 wrote:
Ok I know for a fact that Bais Rifka High School teaches "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. Is it ok if it's for educational purposes?

When I taught at Beis Rivka in CH, we read Lord of the Flies and there was a pig head in that book. (and alot of other stuff...) The principal chose the English curriculum.

As Atali mentioned, going to the zoo, seeing photographs (when older is better) is not a problem.

Some people are strict about pictures in books. We are not so strict on that, (we have a book about the geulah that shows a lion laying down with a lamb. I'm not banning that one!) but are strict about clothing and toys.

I don't feel like my kids are on another planet from other kids. They see dogs and cats outside and I don't freak out or anything. The Rebbe's emphasis (according to my mashpia) is that they should not develop an emotional attachment or identify with (I,e dress up as or imitate) non-kosher animals.

It isn't so forbidding and terrible as many people here seem to think. Wink

Actually, right after I posted and closed the window, I smacked my forehead and remembered The Lord of the Flies which I taught last year at BR (totally giving away my identity here, right?). The girls thought the parts about the pig were disgusting. I actually agree with the principal about why it was a good book to teach. We (the students and I) discussed it in depth and they all agreed that we are grateful to have a Torah and a way of life that keeps us holy and seperate from the savages out there. The didn't really focus so much on the pig and the fact that is was a trief animal...

What I don't understand (and I'm asking seriously - not mocking) is the people who say that it's ok for older kids, teenagers, and adults to read/learn/speak about treif animals, but it's not ok for young children. If the logic behind the rule is that we as Jews don't want to talk about treif/tameh things or have them as a part of our lives, then wouldn't that apply to everybody, not just little kids?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 10:53 am
GAMZu wrote:
They have hydrogenated oils.

Every brand ?

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 11:13 am
Tehilla wrote:

we have our children in Limudei Kodesh/yiddish only programs.

I'm just curious (no animosity meant here) how they will be able to make a living iyh when the time comes without having at least a minor secular education?

Tehilla

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 11:26 am
they do get a very carefully monitored secular education at a much later level than other schools. for the record I am NOT bashing BR in the least bit. when I was in my week of sheva brachas, I happened to help a child in the 2nd grade or so with homework. guess what part of the homework was--a picture of a witch!? I was totally appalled and decided then and there unless circumstances majorly changed I didn't want to send my girls there. there have been other factors that only enforced my personal decision not to send my kids there.

also I believe at my children's school they are taught math skills using a text called "Heilige Numeren" or something like that (listed in another thread).

my husband and I are baalei teshuvah, and have college educations as well. we are fully qualified to teach anything we feel they would need to know. I actually went to college to be a teacher and have credit from elementary until high school level. my husband has a marketing degree, and tutored in statistics--so between the two of us, we can easily supplement anything we find lacking.

the truth is, I don't want my children to go to college. there are plenty of ways to gain skills in the yiddishe setting, enough to make a living with as well. thanks for asking twizzlers. I don't mind answering questions!

GAMZu

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 11:42 am
Quote:
also I believe at my children's school they are taught math skills using a text called "Heilige Numeren" or something like that (listed in another thread).

OMG, that would be my husband's dream come true!!! He can't stand how math is separated from the Yiddishe subjects.
Is there any any way to find out how I can get my hands on such a book???

Atali

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 12:30 pm
Kmommy18 wrote:
mimivan wrote:
Kmommy18 wrote:

When I taught at Beis Rivka in CH, we read Lord of the Flies and there was a pig head in that book. (and alot of other stuff...) The principal chose the English curriculum.

As Atali mentioned, going to the zoo, seeing photographs (when older is better) is not a problem.

Some people are strict about pictures in books. We are not so strict on that, (we have a book about the geulah that shows a lion laying down with a lamb. I'm not banning that one!) but are strict about clothing and toys.

I don't feel like my kids are on another planet from other kids. They see dogs and cats outside and I don't freak out or anything. The Rebbe's emphasis (according to my mashpia) is that they should not develop an emotional attachment or identify with (I,e dress up as or imitate) non-kosher animals.

It isn't so forbidding and terrible as many people here seem to think. Wink

Actually, right after I posted and closed the window, I smacked my forehead and remembered The Lord of the Flies which I taught last year at BR (totally giving away my identity here, right?). The girls thought the parts about the pig were disgusting. I actually agree with the principal about why it was a good book to teach. We (the students and I) discussed it in depth and they all agreed that we are grateful to have a Torah and a way of life that keeps us holy and seperate from the savages out there. The didn't really focus so much on the pig and the fact that is was a trief animal...

What I don't understand (and I'm asking seriously - not mocking) is the people who say that it's ok for older kids, teenagers, and adults to read/learn/speak about treif animals, but it's not ok for young children. If the logic behind the rule is that we as Jews don't want to talk about treif/tameh things or have them as a part of our lives, then wouldn't that apply to everybody, not just little kids?

Small children can learn about non-kosher animals too (in an educational way), just not play with them, dress up as them, or read stories about them (where the story could have just as easily used people or kosher animals instead).

And it applies to adults too, I don't sleep with a teddy bear either Smile

Tehilla

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 12:40 pm
Gamzu, either GR or TzenaRena...I think they knew. I will also bli neder try to ask next week at school.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 12:46 pm
Thank you! I will ask them. Smile
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics