Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Insta vent
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 1:49 pm
Can I vent here a little? Specifically about frum instagramming?
From the start I never really followed the 'My life sparkles' kind of accounts and I was always very quick to unfollow anybody that made me feel uneasy or jealous . I followed the more 'keeping it real here' kind of people or the people that were on a specific unique journey.
Recently even the 'keeping it real' kind of accounts started feeling kinda fake and their messages seem repetitive and forced. and some of the people that were journey specific started veering off their specific path and became 'influencers' who are 'just coming on here to say that I think.....' 'I am so excited to be partnering with @otherMajorlyImportantPerson to break the stigma on....' ect.
I guess I need an Insta break, But I also just needed to vent.
Thanks for listening

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can I vent here a little? Specifically about frum instagramming?
From the start I never really followed the 'My life sparkles' kind of accounts and I was always very quick to unfollow anybody that made me feel uneasy or jealous . I followed the more 'keeping it real here' kind of people or the people that were on a specific unique journey.
Recently even the 'keeping it real' kind of accounts started feeling kinda fake and their messages seem repetitive and forced. and some of the people that were journey specific started veering off their specific path and became 'influencers' who are 'just coming on here to say that I think.....' 'I am so excited to be partnering with @otherMajorlyImportantPerson to break the stigma on....' ect.
I guess I need an Insta break, But I also just needed to vent.
Thanks for listening

That's because no one is on insta for the sole purpose of saving the world. They're there to make money or get attention or fit in with the cool crowd. Period.

If you want inspiration for a new recipe or where to get the outfit that's trending, go for it. But people aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 1:58 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
That's because no one is on insta for the sole purpose of saving the world. They're there to make money or get attention or fit in with the cool crowd. Period.

If you want inspiration for a new recipe or where to get the outfit that's trending, go for it. But people aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

This.

Something I learned a while ago - if you are not paying for the product, then YOU are the product. Every person has a reason to be on instagram. If you are following someone you do not know for their content (in other words, not a friend of yours who just posts family pics, etc.), then they are NOT doing it altruistically. Like the person I quoted above said, people are not spending hours of their day uploading content to instagram for the heck of it. As each account gains more followers, the creator will start to find a way to monetize it in some way.

Jewishmom8

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 1:58 pm
I have never seen Instagram nor do I have any interest.
It sounds horrible. me me me look how real, great, interesting I am. Be like me!
It is all fake.
Do what you like. Do what makes you feel good.
Just know there are many people who are not on there.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 2:05 pm
Lol the “being real@ posts are the most fake!!

Look, I’m being so real, I didn’t put on any makeup today, and not even using a filter!!!
Yippee!!
Or, so real, the oil dripped on my counter while I was filming my dinner cooking for you guys, but I didn’t even edit that part!
We are so impressed Smile Smile Smile

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 2:08 pm
I recently took an insta break,uninstalled the app. I feel like I have more brain space really!
I will go on here and there like before Shabbos to check on recipes I saved,but I'm uninstalling right after,that's what works for me

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 9:16 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I recently took an insta break,uninstalled the app. I feel like I have more brain space really!
I will go on here and there like before Shabbos to check on recipes I saved,but I'm uninstalling right after,that's what works for me

Sorry for my ignorance but I don't have instagram.
When I need recipe I google them, what's the difference?
(Seems like a bother to install it and delete just to check recipes,no?)

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 9:20 pm
I feel like I am on another planet. What is there to be jealous of people on Instagram? I actually find people who post all about their lives to be really weird. I have an Instagram account for my business. It’s great for publicity. I follow a few clothing stores or other business I’m interested in, a couple of accounts with funny memes and videos, and an account that posts inspirational quotes. What am I missing?

amother
White

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 9:27 pm
I just find it so untznius honestly. Frum women prancing around with this outfit, that outfit, oh look at me change. Check out my sunglasses. Pout pout. Check out my skinny body. Or the ones who go head to toe in designer that don’t even look good. So off- putting.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 9:27 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I feel like I am on another planet. What is there to be jealous of people on Instagram? I actually find people who post all about their lives to be really weird. I have an Instagram account for my business. It’s great for publicity. I follow a few clothing stores or other business I’m interested in, a couple of accounts with funny memes and videos, and an account that posts inspirational quotes. What am I missing?

I totally agree.
Why are you jealous of insta ppl? Are you jealous of ppl on the street?
I follow tons of people on insta. Why would I be jealous of anyone? I never get these posts.
Someone posting her OOTD and you’re jealous? Or they’re posting their dinners? Or vacations?
Who cares? It’s interesting to watch and then you move on to the next story 🤷🏼‍♀️

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 9:33 pm
I’m not jealous of them in general because b”h I have a good life. But, some of them are very in your face about all their amazing things.
I find them super fake.

essie14

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 10:55 pm
I find Instagram so fake and it was such a time.waster. I hid the app on my phone, if I specifically want to open it I can but I've probably opened it 5 times in the past 2 years.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 1:52 am
I don't follow anyone frum on there for a reason!

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 9:40 am
So get off it.

I for one really appreciate the "breaking the stigma" stories.

It makes people dealing with infertility, pregnancy loss, pcos, anxiety, depression, domestic violence issues not feel like they are the only ones ones dealing with it.
It also spreads awareness.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I just find it so untznius honestly. Frum women prancing around with this outfit, that outfit, oh look at me change. Check out my sunglasses. Pout pout. Check out my skinny body. Or the ones who go head to toe in designer that don’t even look good. So off- putting.

You sound jealous.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 10:27 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

Hi OP. Just saying that I validate you and I am definitely living on the same planet as you. I got married recently and created an account to check out bridal makeup and hair. That place is poisonous. If you are a business owner then I can see why it may be useful, but otherwise, I think the detriments outweigh the benefits. I have a fulfilling life with a solid profession and nice things. I also appreciate finer things such as nice clothing and furniture. At first, I enjoyed admiring what is out there, but all too soon everyone started to seem very fake and obsessed with themselves and their material possessions. So I deleted my account. Sometimes, I really miss the mindless scrolling and glitz and glamour and feel like I am missing out on trending products. But I know for myself it is worth it.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 10:52 am
OP, I am right there with you!!!!

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 11:04 am
OP I hear you.
And when ppl on insta start saying how it has become toxic to their life but they stay for the followers...
I am scarf about the next generation not realizing life should be private.

Recently saw a story by a popular young influencer shopping with her chosson. It was obviously sponsored as she was advertising the store while they shopped. I really felt bad for the chosson. His choices were being questioned to the world. He had to insist he wanted what he chose. It scares me that kids are starting to think this is normal practice. And nothing is private anymore.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 12:12 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Hi OP. Just saying that I validate you and I am definitely living on the same planet as you. I got married recently and created an account to check out bridal makeup and hair. That place is poisonous. If you are a business owner then I can see why it may be useful, but otherwise, I think the detriments outweigh the benefits. I have a fulfilling life with a solid profession and nice things. I also appreciate finer things such as nice clothing and furniture. At first, I enjoyed admiring what is out there, but all too soon everyone started to seem very fake and obsessed with themselves and their material possessions. So I deleted my account. Sometimes, I really miss the mindless scrolling and glitz and glamour and feel like I am missing out on trending products. But I know for myself it is worth it.

can I ask how you deleted your account? like is it completely off insta or you just blocked the app?

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 12:24 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

Yes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media