Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Where do you cut corners/save money?

Leleh

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 6:03 pm
For someone now frivolous, where does one cut corners? How do you find an extra thousand dollars or so in your budget that previously you didn't have?

Reality

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 6:09 pm
Long term? Very hard

Short term? Food and heat/a/c

Better plan is to take on a small side job.

baby12x

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 6:13 pm
Everywhere but I don't spend an extra $1,000 to be able to save an extra $1,000.

I cut everything. I try to save on everything- food, clothes, utilities etc

https://adimesaved.com/money-s.....-moms

streak

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 6:16 pm
We've cut down on take out big time.
Food boxes help lower food costs like 50$/wk
Less gas, working from home

Recently I went to a clothing gemach for the first time. Prob won't do again for awhile but I saved my self some money on 2 perfectly nice outfits.

Just pushing things off and trying to be happy with what we have for now. Aka not replace broken blinds right now, wash wall instead of paint, wear pajamas until they have holes (non one sees anyway)

Don't have cleaning help. If I know it's a super busy week or season I'll get some help.

If you get magazines and flowers for shabbos that's 55$/month. Maybe get the magazine from someone else if you can?

We save on average 3k a month. It feels great!

emzod42

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 6:18 pm
If you're spending on entertainment, look at that and find free alternatives. Also see if you can switch companies for insurance, cable, etc for a better rate. Or call and see if there are cheaper options or plans.

frieda967

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 8:25 pm
https://I.imgur.com/jgatv7L.jpg

Leleh

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 8:30 pm
frieda967 wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/jgatv7L.jpg

The only one on that list that I'm not already doing or is even possible right now is the Geico discount. I wish I had hidden assets lol

pbandjelly

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 8:57 pm
Haircuts. Get clippers and scissors and give your family haircuts instead of going to the barber.

You can watch a few youtube tutorials to learn how.

shmosmom

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 9:29 pm
Cutting corners means something else for everybody. For one who usually has cleaning help twice a week, having once a week would be cutting corners. For some who don't usually have cleaning help, having once a week would be spending more.
For me, I stopped using as much disposables and replaced plastic containers with Mason jars, and 9x13s with baking dishes. I still use plenty of one time use items, but less. Another good idea is repressing leftovers, like making one less dish for tomorrow's dinner and serving tonight's leftovers with it, or even better, instead of making dinner on Wednesday I'll use tonight's leftovers and tomorrow's leftovers and just make a fresh veggie salad or soup.

Reality

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 9:46 pm
Didn't OP write she is already frugal? Wouldn't she be doing most of these suggestions already?

It's very hard to cut back on an already bare bones budget. That's why I asked if it was for a one time expense or every month you need $1,000 more.

For a one time expense, you can try to cut your basics even more than you usually do but to continuously live like that can be really taxing emotionally. Its constantly living in survival zone.

That's why I suggested trying to increase your income.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains