Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Did you recently renovate/remodel your entire house?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 12:38 pm
Has anyone used an interior designer/decorator for an entire home in Lakewood that is around 10-12 years old? I’ve procrastinated doing anything in my house until my kids were a bit older and now that I’ve reached that point, I’m completely overwhelmed. Anyone else went through this and pulled through successfully (on a normal budget with the right choices they’re happy with)? I’m a little lost with where to begin, what steps to take in which order (doors, moldings, paint, floors, staircase, furniture, lighting, bedrooms, closets, decor, window treatments, kitchen remodel), and how to expedite the process, since it is really long overdue and would like to move things along quickly. All tips, advice, practical suggestions, cost information, referrals, and step by step specifics would be greatly appreciated, but ideally would love to hear from someone who streamlined the process, renovated practically, and ended up with beautiful results on their expected budget, where everything ties together nicely in the end.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 1:33 pm
Hire an interior designer and they’ll walk you through all of it. This will be quickest and most efficient, though not necessarily the cheapest way to do it.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 3:07 pm
1.cheap, good, fast: you can pick two.
2. After you get names from here and from your friends and from Instagram, talk to the local stores: the tile stores, the plumbing stores, the kitchen stores. If you’re nice and they’re in the right mood, they will tell you which decorators are really a good idea and which you should stay away from.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 3:36 pm
I am not in Lakewood but I recently finished a gut remodel.

I hired a designer and one who was also very knowledgeable about construction so it was a combination of aesthetic and very practical advice that she offered. I did hire a GC but my designer also acted as a sort of Project Manager as she was much better at inspecting stuff than I would have been.

I absolutely love the end result and it couldn't have been achieved without her - both aesthetically and functionally.

In my opinion - and experience - a good designer will save you money or at least won't cost extra. My designer knew great sources and her trade discounts - even with the contractual markup were less or about the same as if I had sourced stuff on my own.

The final outcome is a true collaboration as she shaped my aesthetic aspirations and brought them to life in a way I never could have. I didn't blindly accept everything she proposed - if I didn't like something we would discuss. Sometimes I then understood why and sometimes it would be changed to something else. But I was always satisfied that she listened and provided something that was me - only better.

In terms of budget, I think you need to get referrals to several designers - discuss the scope of the job. Decide whether they are someone you want to work with and get a sense of what a realistic budget is.

In my experience, a good designer will provide a preliminary free appointment to view your home and get a sense of what you want. However, a good designer will charge for the design itself because that is a tremendous amount of work. If there is construction, it is what will be used to get real bids from contractors. Part of my design was recoupable from her fees if we moved forward which we did. Part of the design was the very extensive plans which included the elevations for kitchen, bathrooms with all specs. These plans were done for a flat fee and used to obtain permits as well as bids from the contractors.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 8:39 pm
I appreciate all your input. Amarante, does your designer know someone to recommend in the Lakewood area?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 8:42 pm
Amarante, who did you use? Yours sounds great and a lot of designers can work remotely. Thanks!

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 9:51 pm
At least from my experience, having a designer who works with you in your location is critical. My designer knew the best sources at the best prices for much of the work. She was able to supervise to make sure everything was done. She acted as my advocate with various vendors, tradespeople etc. for the inevitable snafus. She really understood the space as well as she walked around in it.

My designer designed my cabinets and knew a custom wood shop that made and installed them for less than it would have cost me for factory and everything is exactly to my specifications including the door. I am short so I had toe kick steps installed below my lower cabinets - where the toe kick is there, I kick them lightly and a step comes out. Some people have toe kick drawers installed but the steps were more what I needed. We had a custom table made up from a wood maker because I had seen a picture of exactly the table I wanted. Similarly all my upholstered furniture was made for me based on her designs - my input. For the arm chair in my bedroom she measured me - literally - so that I fit exactly comfortably in the chair including the height so my legs didn't dangle :-)

Hiring a designer remotely might work if you want someone to draw up a basic floor plan but for the kind of job OP is contemplating, her best bet is to find a great designer in the area - one who has her sources there and probably in the NY wholesale design centers as well. She supervised when they hung the drapes and she supervised when the hung the shades. All of that supervision is part of why you hire and pay a good designer.

For OP just keep asking people whether they know someone who has remodeled and/or had a large design project done in your area. Even if your friends and neighbors haven't done it, they might know someone. My designer was somewhat of a personal reference as she had done work in the building I live in.

I can't overstate how much a good designer helps. My walls are a basic cream color but there are a zillion different cream paints and you could drive yourself crazy. She brought me samples of three colors and asked which one I liked the best - I chose her top choice as well. So nice not to agonize.

She also helped me repurpose a lot of stuff - helped me figure out what would work and what to get rid of. When we decided which artwork we wanted to keep, she took everything to her framer and the results were so much better than I could have imagined. There truly are some things that are best left to experts - like placement of lighting as well.

Other stuff like the sconces for the bathroom and my bedroom were more difficult because I had very specific styles that I wanted and ironically I located them on the internet. I sent her the picture and she loved them. And HER price was about 1/3 of what the retail price of them so even with her markup, they were still cheaper than if I had bought them myself.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 11:13 pm
Amarante wrote:
At least from my experience, having a designer who works with you in your location is critical. My designer knew the best sources at the best prices for much of the work. She was able to supervise to make sure everything was done. She acted as my advocate with various vendors, tradespeople etc. for the inevitable snafus. She really understood the space as well as she walked around in it.

My designer designed my cabinets and knew a custom wood shop that made and installed them for less than it would have cost me for factory and everything is exactly to my specifications including the door. I am short so I had toe kick steps installed below my lower cabinets - where the toe kick is there, I kick them lightly and a step comes out. Some people have toe kick drawers installed but the steps were more what I needed. We had a custom table made up from a wood maker because I had seen a picture of exactly the table I wanted. Similarly all my upholstered furniture was made for me based on her designs - my input. For the arm chair in my bedroom she measured me - literally - so that I fit exactly comfortably in the chair including the height so my legs didn't dangle :-)

Hiring a designer remotely might work if you want someone to draw up a basic floor plan but for the kind of job OP is contemplating, her best bet is to find a great designer in the area - one who has her sources there and probably in the NY wholesale design centers as well. She supervised when they hung the drapes and she supervised when the hung the shades. All of that supervision is part of why you hire and pay a good designer.

For OP just keep asking people whether they know someone who has remodeled and/or had a large design project done in your area. Even if your friends and neighbors haven't done it, they might know someone. My designer was somewhat of a personal reference as she had done work in the building I live in.

I can't overstate how much a good designer helps. My walls are a basic cream color but there are a zillion different cream paints and you could drive yourself crazy. She brought me samples of three colors and asked which one I liked the best - I chose her top choice as well. So nice not to agonize.

She also helped me repurpose a lot of stuff - helped me figure out what would work and what to get rid of. When we decided which artwork we wanted to keep, she took everything to her framer and the results were so much better than I could have imagined. There truly are some things that are best left to experts - like placement of lighting as well.

Other stuff like the sconces for the bathroom and my bedroom were more difficult because I had very specific styles that I wanted and ironically I located them on the internet. I sent her the picture and she loved them. And HER price was about 1/3 of what the retail price of them so even with her markup, they were still cheaper than if I had bought them myself.

Who is this dream designer??

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 11:18 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Who is this dream designer??

And then she and her mother who was a retired designer came and helped me put everything away with the help of my cleaning lady. I mean literally everything. We went through all the stuff I had packed up and they helped me make decisions. It was why I laugh that my cleaning lady knows where everything is because she put it away. My closets were organized perfectly.

And of course they arranged all the tchotchkes and hung all the pictures.

And her husband set up all the electronics. LOL

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 11:19 pm
Amarante wrote:

I'd love to see your home! It sounds beautiful and tasteful

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 11:22 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I'd love to see your home! It sounds beautiful and tasteful

It still isn’t quite finished because of the pandemic. I ordered the tiles for the balcony and the rug but those were delayed by the pandemic and even if the tiles arrived I wouldn't have workmen install them until I am vaccinated safely.

But I laugh that at least I have the wonderful comfortable shower with the bench and a good toilet so that I don’t have to worry about it stopping up.

But I haven’t had my cleaning lady since the pandemic so I don’t know where stuff is literally. Smile

And I got the pictures hung. My mother had embroidered a crewel picture years ago and my designer had it reframed beautifully and it was hung n my bedroom just in time and whenever I am in bed I can look at it and it makes me feel my mother is still around. I never knew there were so many subtle ways to frame a picture to enhance and set it off.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:23 am
Amarante wrote:
And then she and her mother who was a retired designer came and helped me put everything away with the help of my cleaning lady. I mean literally everything. We went through all the stuff I had packed up and they helped me make decisions. It was why I laugh that my cleaning lady knows where everything is because she put it away. My closets were organized perfectly.

And of course they arranged all the tchotchkes and hung all the pictures.

And her husband set up all the electronics. LOL

I’m asking seriously for her name. Do you live in Brooklyn? Can I pm you? I’m also doing a gut job and desperately need someone like that.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:19 am
For those who are asking who my designer is - I live in Los Angeles and she works in Los Angeles.

I don't know any designers elsewhere so finding references from people you know or friends of friends and family in your location is the best method.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:27 am
Just wanted to add that I think my designer was a true shidduch. I had NEVER mentioned that I particularly liked copper and when she visited my home on the initial visit there was nothing that would have suggested I had an affinity or love for copper. When I discussed my style preferences I never mentioned copper and when I sent her pictures of rooms and things I loved after we agreed to work, I didn't mention copper nor did any of my picture contain copper as a design theme.

The initial aesthetic design (which is separate from the plans) contained copper as a major decorative theme - copper farmhouse sink - copper tiled coved ceiling in the kitchen and copper accent tiles in the kitchen with a copper sink in the guest bath.

I had inherited a beautiful small statue of a crane which was probably Art Nouveau which is a design period I love. She loved it too and she designed a copper medallion incorporating the crane which is behind my stove cooktop. I love it because it I beautiful and also because I can see exactly how it was on the small table when I was growing up in the "good" living room and so it brings me warm feelings. The price for the copper medallion was probably less than an off the shelf decorative motif as she knew an inexpensive source for custom work and the charge for her design services was just the customary percentage.

My father's first career path was an apprentice coppersmith. We were both amazed when I told her that because I had never mentioned it but somehow she channeled it.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 10:45 am
I don't want to hijack this thread. I know that Rubber Ducky is a kitchen designer who works in Baltimore. You might contact her and see if she has contacts where you live.

When I was in the initial stages, I tried to research designers in my area. Houzz.com is a good starting point if you can't find a personal reference. I started that process as I looked at rooms/homes which designers had posted and if I liked the results and they were in my area, I contacted them to set up an appointment. Ultimately I went with the designer who was personally reviewed but that might be a way to start.

Also there is a website service called sweeten.com which matches contractors with people looking for contractors. You can see what the contractors have done and read reviews. Currently they operate in NY, NJ, Philly, Chicago, Miami and Atlanta. So that might be a start. I went with the GC recommended by my designer as she had worked with him on other projects. I did visit two places he was working on to see the quality of his work as well as the quality of the guy who was doing my cabinets. I don't recommend hiring a GC without a designer since a GC is not a designer so even if their work is great, they won't be giving you the best aesthetic and functionality as a designer would.

I really sympathize because I had NEVER done anything like this before. My home was falling into disrepair because every time I thought about doing a single project I realized that it would steam roll into another and another and I would just avoid it. I couldn't even replace the stove because if I did that I would have to replace the floors and the cabinet above the stove and then repaint and so on LOL LOL

And once you do this kind of remodel it is a blessing and a curse in some ways. In terms of function, you have the opportunity to make it exactly the way it should work for you but then you have to think about stuff that made my brain want to explode - how deep should the drawers be for example. How high should the sides of the rollouts be. I am just pointing out the numerous small decisions one doesn't realize one needs to make. Should the knife drawer be by the sink?

In the bathroom, how high should the shower head be exactly - where should the towel racks go - so many large and small decisions. It was wonderful to be able to have someone who I could ask what the best most functional way to go was for things like this and often I would just tell her to use her judgment. And stuff I would never have thought of like having a second hand held shower right by the bench in my shower so I can use it sitting down if I need to which is really wonderful when I am doing lengthy stuff in the shower and want to relax. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries