Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
NJ Learners permit

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:47 am
Hi all, dd, 17, wants to get her permit. From what I see online, first u need a permit which is just paying money and passing a vision test, and then you go onlnie to schedule a knowledge test. Can anyone confirm this? I thought you do it all at one visit? Or was that pre-corona?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 1:21 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Hi all, dd, 17, wants to get her permit. From what I see online, first u need a permit which is just paying money and passing a vision test, and then you go onlnie to schedule a knowledge test. Can anyone confirm this? I thought you do it all at one visit? Or was that pre-corona?

BUMP... does anyone know about this?

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 1:34 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
BUMP... does anyone know about this?

As Im the OP I can update it. You do need to do it in two stages. 16 year olds have their own rules but DD is 17. You need to go to the DMV in Toms River (at least for lakewood people). You cant make an appointment for this. You go to the front door and somebody is inside asking what you want. You are there for the permit. THeyll give you the application or you can get it online. Youll also need to fill out another form for parents to give permission. They check your childs vision and it costs $10. You wont be allowed to wait inside. Once theyre done, theyll give you the permit with a nuber on it. Thats the number you need to schedule what they call the knowledge test online

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 2:10 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
As Im the OP I can update it. You do need to do it in two stages. 16 year olds have their own rules but DD is 17. You need to go to the DMV in Toms River (at least for lakewood people). You cant make an appointment for this. You go to the front door and somebody is inside asking what you want. You are there for the permit. THeyll give you the application or you can get it online. Youll also need to fill out another form for parents to give permission. They check your childs vision and it costs $10. You wont be allowed to wait inside. Once theyre done, theyll give you the permit with a nuber on it. Thats the number you need to schedule what they call the knowledge test online

Thanks! About how long does the whole thing take? (assuming we go at 8 when they open)

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 2:13 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Thanks! About how long does the whole thing take? (assuming we go at 8 when they open)

I came at 10 with DD and the only ait we had was for the lady who was sitting at the front door to come back to her seat after walking away. At this point I dont think there are long waits as most things can be done online now or by appointment.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 2:20 pm
One thing to know is that you cant go inside with your child. So make sure you have all your documents and ID ready together. I put it all in a ziplock bag. But I forgot to give her $10 so she had to come back out.

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 2:39 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
One thing to know is that you cant go inside with your child. So make sure you have all your documents and ID ready together. I put it all in a ziplock bag. But I forgot to give her $10 so she had to come back out.

Right- I ran back in to give her the money

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 3:50 pm
When I went in September there was a huge wait.
Not sure what's it like now!
Schedule the driver's license trst about 3 months before you want to go. You need at least 6 months from permit till license test !

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 4:27 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
When I went in September there was a huge wait.
Not sure what's it like now!
Schedule the driver's license trst about 3 months before you want to go. You need at least 6 months from permit till license test !

Like I said, 2 weeks ago there was no wait.
U cant schedule the road test until u pass the knowledge test but thanks for the info

climbing613

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 9:59 am
Bump .
Anyone with updated info?
It shows that you need an appointment to buy a permit, but it shows no appointments available. Can we go to the DMV to buy a permit without an appointment?

Cmon be nice

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 10:35 am
climbing613 wrote:
Bump .
It shows that you need an appointment to buy a permit, but it shows no appointments available. Can we go to the DMV to buy a permit without an appointment?

When you go for a permit you cant make an appointment. Just make sure you go to the right DMV office as some of them dont do permits, for example if you live in Lakewood you need to go to Toms River, not the Lakewood DMV. Hopefully at this point u wont have a wait (when I took DD in November there was no wait). Only then, once you have the permit, can you go online and schedule whats called the knowledge test now. HOpe this answers your question

notna

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 10:53 am
Cmon be nice wrote:
When you go for a permit

They changed the way it works since you went. You need to make an appointment to buy the permit and then you make another appointment for the knowledge test.
There often are no appointments available, but they book them up to 30 days out, so try right after midnight or first thing in the morning to get sn appointment on the 30th dsy that just opened up.

Cmon be nice

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 10:56 am
notna wrote:
They changed the way it works since you went. You need to make an appointment to buy the permit and then you make another appointment for the knowledge test.
There often are no appointments available, but they book them up to 30 days out, so try right after midnight or first thing in the morning to get sn appointment on the 30th dsy that just opened up.

Wow,. guess a lot has changed since November!

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jul 16 2021, 10:57 am
climbing613 wrote:
Bump .

Yes, you need an appointment to get PERMISSION to take the knowledge test for the permit. AFAIK you can't just walk in. It's totally crazy.

My advice - take off some time and keep refreshing the page. People cancel all the time and then a spot opens up, but you need to grab it before someone else does. (That's what I did and I grabbed a spot for the next day and I drove over an hour).

And then you need to do it AGAIN to schedule the knowledge test.

Good luck!

ETA: I see we cross posted!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics