Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Appropriate Secular Book Recommendations PLZ
Previous  1  2  3  Next

monseymom25

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 8:59 am
Have you read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?

simcha2

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:08 am
Giver of Stars
Where the crawdads sing

monseymom25

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:13 am
Where the Crawdads Sing is an incredible book.
It does include some s-xual content, though.
Another fascinating book with some s-xual content (violence actually) just in the beginning is The book woman of troublesome creek

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:21 am
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Allegra Goodman's books
Do you like food memoirs?

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:21 am
Dancing on broken glass
Before we were yours
The help
A man called ove
Truly madly guilty
Books by Nelson demille
Books by Henry denker
Books by jeffry archer

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:45 am
try books by Tracie Peterson. they are historical fiction and clean, aside for content about Yoshke which I personally just skipped over. many of her books come in a series so that's a nice bonus. I just finished the song of Alaska series and I loved it.

really entertaining and satisfying reads.

samantha87

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 10:56 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:

Books by Nelson demille

Some of Nelson Demille's books are built around relations-ual content. Like the General's Daughter. They're also not great quality, IMHO.

I'm reading Michael Ruhlman's making of a chef about his time in cooking school, which is really interesting.

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 11:01 am
I absolutely hated where the crawdads sing. Despised it!

I think the entire premise is so warped and disturbing. And it topped all the bestseller charts, and had, like 100,000 reviews on Amazon... so it must be something with me.

I don't have time to formulate my thoughts now, to post a coherent review. But if you are a sensitive reader, and of a more conservative mindset, you may not enjoy it.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 11:14 am
Cheshire cat wrote:

I think the entire premise is so warped and disturbing. And it topped all the bestseller charts, and had, like 100,000 reviews on Amazon... so it must be something with me.

I don't have time to formulate my thoughts now, to post a coherent review. But if you are a sensitive reader, and of a more conservative mindset, you may not enjoy it.

I would have liked better closer at the end. I felt they just stated things without making them make sense.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 11:17 am
Typically I read holocaust HF, but they are definitely scary.

Adrianna Trigiani has great books. I recall them to be fairly clean and not terribly scary (thought some mention church or x-mas) she also have dozens be doezwns so that can keep you busy for a while.

I really like Ronald Balsam but those might be too scary for you.

Other great books I recently read

The Kitchen House

The Dressmaker of Khair Khana
Book by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon (might be too scary for you-does take place during the regime of the Shah)

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 12:49 pm
monseymom25 wrote:
Not a classic but
The Two Family House by Linda Cohen Loigman

And her second book the wartime sisters was also really good.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 1:03 pm
Anything by Jane Austen
A Tale of Two Cities
The Count of Month Cristo

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 1:04 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:

I thought it didn't really live up to the hype. It kept my attention. But didn't blow me away. Supposedly, the setting is extremely exaggerated and unrealistic, based on things I've read from people who come from that area.

OP, if you like clean historical fiction...try some of Rhys Bowen's newer standalone books, such as In Fareleigh Field. That was a good, enjoyable read. Or her Molly Murphy series. Also, I second the books by Lynda Cohen Loigman.

For fantasy, try Diana Wynne Jones or Susan Cooper. Or The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. All oldies but goodies and all reprinted recently. These are all award winning authors.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 1:05 pm
Also

The Remains of the Day

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 6:25 pm
What is a food memoir? Sounds interesting...

Thanks for all off the suggestions!

Any good biography recommendations?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is a food memoir? Sounds interesting...

Thanks for all off the suggestions!

Any good biography recommendations?

Memoirs based on food, by food writers. Like Ruth Reichl's books (her novel Delicious was on the cleanish side, IIRC), The Book of Eating by Adam Platt, Always Home by Fanny Singer (Alice Waters' daughter), Fannie's Last Supper (about a staged Victorian dinner by an America's Test Kitchen macher). Among other books.

ETA: I know I'll remember more. Like Stirred, about a woman who finds cooking a vehicle to her recovery from an aneurysm. Barbara Benoussan wrote a nice book about her adopted culinary heritage.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 8:50 pm
The woman who smashed codes
Wee Free men series

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 8:59 pm
James Herriot (all)
Erma Bombeck

Kumphort

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:08 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Dancing on broken glass
Before we were yours
The help
A man called ove
Truly madly guilty
Books by Nelson demille
Books by Henry denker
Books by jeffry archer

Loved the personality development of the Henry denker books. Still have good memories of Horowitz and Mrs Washington. But haven’t seen them in years.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:11 pm
Kumphort wrote:
Loved the personality development of the Henry denker books. Still have good memories of Horowitz and Mrs Washington. But haven’t seen them in years.

Yeah, they are definitely out of print. But probably not too expensive to buy second hand.
If OP wants to get books through the library and not have to spend money, some of the suggestions on this thread probably won't work.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room