Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Needlepointing a Tefillin bag for my son's Bar Mitzva

DVOM

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:07 am
Good morning lovely ladies!

I'm considering needlepointing a Tefillin bag for my son's Bar Mitzva.

Any of you guys done this? How big of a job is it? I'm a very beginner needlepointer, and I'm nervous about starting and not finishing.

Anyone know if there is a store/website where I can order the needlepoint and get some directions?

mfb

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:29 am
I haven’t done it but I know my son would not have been happy with it. He wants what all the kids in his class have not something so different. So please before anything make sure it would make your son happy.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:29 am
I don't know about shops, but I just googled 'needlepoint tefillin bags' and came up with a good choice of kits and designs. Most of them have space for names. Even as a beginner you can alter colours to suit yourself, though you might not feel confident playing with different stitches and patterns yet.

As for whether you'll finish in time, be realistic with yourself. Is the Bar Mitzvah next month? Forget about it. A few months ahead sounds realistic. Aim to have it finished at least a month before the Bar Mitzvah (or before the hanachat tefillin). That gives you time to send it away to have it made up into a bag if necessary. You don't want want the added pressure of having to sit down with a slow moving needle and thread when you are under pressure to do a dozen things at once the week before the Bar Mitzvah. Needlepoint is meant to be enjoyable. If you're pressured you'll come to resent it.

Its certainly a doable project, and a tefillin bag is much smaller than a tallis bag! One that you have personally created will be special to him for years.

DVOM

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:38 am
Elfrida wrote:
I don't know about shops, but I just googled 'needlepoint tefillin bags' and came up with a good choice of kits and designs. Most of them have space for names. Even as a beginner you can alter colours to suit yourself, though you might not feel confident playing with different stitches and patterns yet.

As for whether you'll finish in time, be realistic with yourself. Is the Bar Mitzvah next month? Forget about it. A few months ahead sounds realistic. Aim to have it finished at least a month before the Bar Mitzvah (or before the hanachat tefillin). That gives you time to send it away to have it made up into a bag if necessary. You don't want want the added pressure of having to sit down with a slow moving needle and thread when you are under pressure to do a dozen things at once the week before the Bar Mitzvah. Needlepoint is meant to be enjoyable. If you're pressured you'll come to resent it.

Its certainly a doable project, and a tefillin bag is much smaller than a tallis bag! One that you have personally created will be special to him for years.

I think I could realistically finish it. I've got about 8 months to the bar mitzvah. We just ordered his tefillin, which sparked the conversation.

DVOM

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:43 am
mfb wrote:
I haven’t done it but I know my son would not have been happy with it. He wants what all the kids in his class have not something so different. So please before anything make sure it would make your son happy.

I'm a little bit nervous about this. I keep asking my son if he's sure this is what he wants. He's such a sweetie, he keeps on saying 'this is what YOU want mom! I know you want to make it!'. We had a serious conversation about his job here- to figure out for himself what he wants, not to make me happy. I've assured him that I'll be happy if HE's happy with his choice, and that If I really want to needlepoint I could make his Abba or Zaidy a tallit and tefillin bag, or a challah cover, or a hundred other things. It doesn't have to be his tefillin bag. He's thought about it... and said he wants me to do it. Several other kids in his school and in our neighborhood have done it, so he's seen it around. I think I'm doing it!!

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:45 am
It's been years since I've done needlepoint, and never anything so large as a tefillin bag. Ooh, this sounds like fun! Mazal tov, DVOM, and can't wait to hear about your progress!

Elfrida

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:48 am
So start googling! As mfb said, peer pressure can be an issue, so make sure he is on board with this, and I would encourage you to choose the design together, so you know he will be happy with it.

Don't expect to have time for this between Purim and Pesach, so discount that month entirely in your planning. But that's a long way off, and in the meantime long motzei Shabbos evenings are a great time for sitting down with your needlepoint.

When you contact companies, tell them you are a beginner. They will be happy to point you towards the more straightforward kits, and are normally happy to give you advice as necessary.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:49 am
It takes a while! But I personally enjoy it and have made several. Stitches in Brooklyn has a large selection and they can also custom make something if you have a specific scene in mind. They also have tutorials pretty sure. And if you’re local, you can go in at any time (verify, may be different with corona) and they teach you as part of the purchase!

sky

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 8:08 am
There is a store in longbranch
https://www.smstitches.com/
Maybe you and your son can go down together to check it out and speak to owners to get an idea of effort
I agree that my sons wouldn’t be comfortable using it. But if your boys are happy then great.

STovah

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 8:10 am
I’ve done this - the first bag I did was my first project in 10 years. Give yourself a year or so to get your first one done just so that you’re not pressured. You can google to get an idea of different designs but really just get set up with someone in your area who provides the design (after you look through her albums) and instruction.

Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 8:35 am
I did it. I ordered from Pepita Needlepoint online, they customize a name on the pattern you choose. If you’d like to see a photo, you can pm me.

happy12

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 12:08 pm
I ordered it thru Pepita.

shanie5

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 10:00 pm
I made for all 4 of my boys. And am making tallis bags for those who want them (sons and sons in law).
My oldest liked his, but when he got married he switched to a traditional velvet bag to match his tallis bag. My 2nd son wanted a tallis bag from me too. Next 2 boys aren't married yet, but I think they do want me to make them bags too. (I'm behind though, still working on the canvas for ds 2, and have another new sil to do next.)

Depending on how often you can work on it, 8 months is doable.
It's not a cheap project. Canvases are expensive. Threads can be expensive too depending on what kind you use. And having it sewn into a bag aint cheap either.

If you enjoy needlepoint, go for it.

I wouldn't buy a kit. I would buy the canvas and then choose my threads according to the colors the bar mitzvah boy likes. I also "sign" my bags with a hidden message.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days