Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Am I overreacting? Choc milk n cookies for breakfast?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 12:07 pm
I'm bh lucky that my son's school gives breakfast for free only now because of covid.

But, now that I hear my son tells me he has chocolate milk and cookies everyday for breakfast,

I'm concerned. I have diabetes in my family, and before this, my son did not start the day with so much sugar.

But, maybe it's the norm to eat this for breakfast as I know a lot of ppl eat muffins (full of suagr) for breakfast.

Everyone who has diabetes in their may know that our bodies react very differently to high suagr/carbs foods, so I'm trying to make a deal with my son about not eating all that sugar for breakfast. Am I overreacting?

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 12:09 pm
I admittedly lean towards organic/ clean eating but that sounds nuts to me. Aren't the teachers angry about it? Those kids must be buzzing!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 12:13 pm
It sounds to me like someone being lazy. As in not putting in the effort or money for nutritious food. There are many better options. I’d complain.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 12:16 pm
That is HORRIBLE! I would be so mad! No wonder schools are having trouble with ADD and behavior issues. Banging head Banging head Banging head

Please pack your child a healthy breakfast, or get him up 15 minutes earlier so he can have some protein at home before he goes to school. Eggs, sausage, toast, things like that. He can have a little chocolate "parve milk" if he has a meat breakfast.

At the very least, fill him up with hummus and some fresh veggie strips, or an egg sandwich in a pita.

With any luck, he'll be too full to want the sugary breakfast at school, and even if he eats it, he'll have enough protein in him to help balance it out and keep his blood sugar levels stable. Tell him he can keep the cookies in his backpack, and eat them later in the day or after school.

happy chick

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 12:23 pm
You, as a mom, can choose to give your child cookies and milk for breakfast. But a school, especially one that is getting govt funding for proper nutritious breakfast def should not be. This is not ok.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 12:29 pm
My kids school has given plain cereal and milk for years. Yes it requires bowls and spoons and pouring ... But its better than cookies and chocolate milk.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 12:33 pm
Are you sure that they arent offering anything else and your son isnt eating it? It sounds off and I would be surprised if this is all they offer.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:01 pm
Yes. That is indeed worrisome.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:05 pm
My kids school provides sugar for the cereal. As if cereal is not bad enough.

mandr

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:07 pm
Why are you all complaining? Give your kids breakfast at home! Or send it along to eat on the bus/at school.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:10 pm
Would you feel better if it was just cereal and milk? Cuz I don't see much difference.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:13 pm
mandr wrote:
Why are you all complaining? Give your kids breakfast at home! Or send it along to eat on the bus/at school.

I do. Not complaining. My kid needs to leave at 8:00. Thankfully this one can stomach a full breakfast at 7:40 but a lot of kids can’t. Sending along isn’t always an option, especially with picky eaters plus dairy and nut free schools.

moonstone

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:16 pm
Chocolate milk and cookies for breakfast?? OMG. That's even worse than the evil chocolate spread sandwiches kids eat in israel.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 3:35 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
My kids school provides sugar for the cereal. As if cereal is not bad enough.

Oh man.

Our schools gives rice krispies or corn flakes, and skim milk.

Nutritionally I feel like it's bread and water lol. But my son eats a good lunch so BH.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 4:00 pm
My kids school has also started with rugelach and muffins with the free breakfast. I make them eat before school.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 4:03 pm
mandr wrote:

Because sometimes schools use sugar to a dangerous level.

Candy and soda prizes. Rosh chodesh and shabbos treats.

Never mind the fact that the school is supposed be a partner with parents in the child's mental, spiritual and physical health.

I think it's reasonable to expect that whatever the school offers does little harm ...

Elfrida

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 4:22 pm
Twenty five years ago, when I was at school, they provided breakfast for anyone who went to minyan (optional). Chocolate cake. I don't remember what there was to drink, but it wasn't chocolate milk. Not healthy, but we all survived.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:58 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Because sometimes schools use sugar to a dangerous level.

Candy and soda prizes. Rosh chodesh and shabbos treats.

Never mind the fact that the school is supposed be a partner with parents in the child's mental, spiritual and physical health.

I think it's reasonable to expect that whatever the school offers does little harm ...
totally agree with this. my kids daily intake of added sugars exceeds the fdas guidelines. Just from what they’re getting in school.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:02 pm
Principals and teachers are always carrying on about how we’re partners and they send home tons of homework so we parents can do our part in making sure kids get an education. Well guess what if we need to partner with them they need to partner with us in trying to raise healthy kids. I already gave up trying to get them to provide adequate time and facilities so kids can get a half decent amount of exercise. I’m furious about the cans of soda and candy prizes. Kids should not be getting chocolate milk and cookies at school but there’s probably nothing op or any of us can do about it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:28 pm
thanks for all the replies....

and to the person who says why complain?
well, my son wont refuse choc milk and cookies no matter what I give him...

also, I agree that cereal and milk is also not as healthy but cereal and milk is not as much sugar as choc milk and cookies....although yes, cereal has a lot of carbs which can turn to sugar...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics