Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Buying books vs. renting from library vs. ebooks
1  2  Next

imanonymous

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:01 pm
I've been going through this issue. Shabbos is basically the only day of the week that I can read, so even though ebooks are cheaper, they don't really help me.

Renting from the library might be easiest, but a) I have my filter blocking the BPL online for various reasons, and b) I don't have the time to keep going to and from the library and keep track of things.

I've resorted to buying books, but some of them are very expensive. Even on Amazon, once you include shipping on secondhand books, it adds up quickly. (I hate dealing with eBay on so many levels.) Additionally, I don't have the space to store the books!

Ideas?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:08 pm
I sometimes buy from Amazon and sometimes get from the public library. Before COVID, DH would sometimes buy random books from a local used bookstore.

The local branch of the public library near me is very small, so I do not browse there unless I am desperate. Instead, I decide ahead of time what I want, log on to my library account online, request a hold on it, and the library delivers it to my local branch. If the book is available, it usually takes 2-3 days for it to be brought to my local branch. If all copies are out, then it could take a lot longer, but this isn't usually an issue with books that were published more than a year or two ago.

Can you buy used books locally? Or maybe trade books with friends?

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:22 pm
Same. So I plan to sell or donate after I finish reading.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:43 pm
Did you look on betterworldbooks.com?

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:49 pm
I vote for the library. It's not so difficult to keep track of the books you borrow. Just borrow one at a time.

imanonymous

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 2:50 pm
DrMom wrote:
I vote for the library. It's not so difficult to keep track of the books you borrow. Just borrow one at a time.

I don't have time or patience to handle it, and I like to take out multiple books at once. I can't keep running back and forth to and from the library.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 3:09 pm
I miss the library so much, I was there every few weeks and took out tons of books. I've been buying books on ebay recently. I have no issues and don't see it as a hassle. I'll look for lots of a specific author or genre. Even if I end up reading only half of the books in the lot it can usually come out pretty cheap.

I've also used paperbackswap.com
That comes out to $2.80 a book. But that I find much more of a hassle.

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 3:25 pm
library usually. but its closed now.

I have lots of second hand thrift shops with good books sections in my city so I usually buy from them. The one near me is open for click and collect now. Then I return them when I am done if I don't want to reread them.

I only buy new books if a. a new book by an author I love is out or b. Someone gives me a book token.

If you have friends near you who are readers you can swap books once done.

Look for little free libraries near you.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 3:32 pm
Abebooks.com has a lot of good used books for $3 each and free shipping

If you have away to pick up from Williamsburg I wouldn’t mind selling you my stash for $2 a book. Let me know and I’ll pm you.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:

If you have away to pick up from Williamsburg I wouldn’t mind selling you my stash for $2 a book. Let me know and I’ll pm you.

Are these jewish books? If OP doesn’t want I’m interested!

Last edited by amother on Sun, Nov 15 2020, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 3:38 pm
chocolatine wrote:
Are these jewish books? If OP doesn’t want I’m interested!

No

ssspectacular

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 3:51 pm
Brooklyn Public Library has some branches open for pick-up service. You put the books on hold online and then they call/ email you when they are ready for pickup. They are not strict about late fees now. It works well for me.

imanonymous

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 4:22 pm

What genre?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 4:37 pm
imanonymous wrote:
What genre?

Novels

Jodi picoult
Nora roberts
Aj Finn
Toni Morrison
ML stedman
Bryn greenwood
Sophie kinsella
Jenny hale

imanonymous

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 4:52 pm
Novels

Jodi picoult
Nora roberts
Aj Finn
Toni Morrison
ML stedman
Bryn greenwood
Sophie kinsella
Jenny hale

Hmm, I read nonfiction nowadays. Thanks for the offer!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 5:20 pm
There are free books in little outdoor bookshelves, where people give books for free. Then you put books you finished there for others to read. Community.

https://littlefreelibrary.org/ourmap/

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 5:39 pm
What’s with all the hugging??

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 5:42 pm
What’s with all the hugging??

As long as there is an abusable hug button, all the posts must be hugged.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:47 pm
I like using the library. I go every 3 or 4 weeks, get 3 or 4 books, and read one per weekend. If you don't have patience to browse, reserving books is a great option. I personally enjoy book browsing, but my local library branch is closed.
It's up to you how you want to pay for books. It's obviously going to be either $, or effort. Personally it's worth it for me to drive to the library every few weeks rather than spending.
During the height of covid when libraries in my area were completely closed I bought books on Thriftbooks.com, recommended by someone here on Ima. It was very affordable, I filtered books by under $5 and took 3 at a time to get free shipping.
I don't have room to store books at all, but I'm a book lover and can't think of selling them. I'd donate them to a community library if there was some oversight/ management. Don't want to donate to BPL because I think they don't need it.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 8:05 pm
Correction, OP: you don't want to be bothered going to the library. Unless you're physically handicapped or in quarantine, chances are you CAN go. I'm not saying I blame you but you do need to understand the difference between being unable and not wanting to.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room