Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Masbia- why donate if most of their customers are not Jews?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 1:52 pm
People who aren't Jewish have their own soup kitchens. They can go to any because they don't need it to be kosher. I'm not saying you shouldn't help someone who is starving but in this case non kosher eating people have their own soup kitchens. A kosher keeping Jew can only eat at kosher establishments. A lot of times you pass by and don't see even one Jewish person being helped. Then they make ads asking for support. Why support mainly non Jewish eating? I'd rather support Jewish eating and food that is going to Jews. I understand that since they are government supported they can't turn anyone away. Wouldn't it be better to only rely on sponsors and Jewish people giving tzedaka and limit it to serving Jews?

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 1:53 pm
That is your choice!
Avraham Avinu fed all that came to him, it didn't matter where they came from!
If you want you can donate to Tomchei Shabbos.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 1:55 pm
You're assuming they're not Jews because they don't appear, physically, to be frum Jews?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 1:56 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
You're assuming they're not Jews because they don't appear, physically, to be frum Jews?

They're Mexicans, Spanish, African Americans and some Chinese & Arabs. Definitely not Jewish. It's always full of non jews.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 1:59 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
That is your choice!
Avraham Avinu fed all that came to him, it didn't matter where they came from!
If you want you can donate to Tomchei Shabbos.
But the point is they have their own soup kitchens that don't need a hecsher. kosher food is much more expensive.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 2:00 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
They're Mexicans, Spanish, African Americans and some Chinese & Arabs. Definitely not Jewish. It's always full of non jews.
this

southernbubby

My friend used to teach in an inner city public school where none of the students were Jews but these poor inner city kids had no socks, gloves, hats, coats, etc and the Jews had pity and donated.
While I agree that tzedukah should go to Jewish causes, if a Jew needs the meals at Masbia, or would need warm socks for winter, at least these causes exist, even if they usually help others.

seeker

They help many, many, many Jewish people in many ways.
The fact that they help others at the same time makes a huge kiddush Hashem.
They have my wholehearted support, but if you have concerns you are welcome to take your donations elsewhere, there is unfortunately no end to the needs.

amother
Slategray

If they're govt funded why do they need to fundraise at all?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 2:01 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
If they're govt funded why do they need to fundraise at all?
that's a good question.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 2:01 pm
seeker wrote:
They help many, many, many Jewish people in many ways.
The fact that they help others at the same time makes a huge kiddush Hashem.
They have my wholehearted support, but if you have concerns you are welcome to take your donations elsewhere, there is unfortunately no end to the needs.
This! And when you are funded in part by the government, you have no choice about it.
Also, the kosher food is probably fresher and better, so I kinda don't blame them!

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

First, Masbia is tax funded so they cant discriminate against people. Second, many Jews do benefit from Masbia even if they dont look orthodox. Third, the Boro Park location does cater primarily to Orthodox Jews and even has community Shabbos and Yom Tov meals. And finally, they have many agreements with Yeshivas, Kollels, Jewish organizations, etc where they allow parents or clients of these groups to come in privately and take what they need. Like Sister to Sister has an agreement with them that their clients can come at a set time every week and take what they need, etc. So the lines that you see outside is very different than what is actually going on behind the scenes. And as far as I know, Masbia is the only Kosher soup kitchen/Pantry in NY so it is imperative that they continue to operate. Every donation helps.
Signed, a Masbia volunteer.

ETA: they still have to pay rent for all their locations and employees salaries so yes, they need more money than they get from the govt so every donation counts.

keym

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 2:04 pm
I donate when I can because if chv I or someone I love should ever need a kosher soup kitchen, I'll be glad it exists.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 2:41 pm
I don't know much about these things but I think they receive some support from the government but not full funding. Kind of like schools, they benefit from government funds but it's not everything.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:01 pm
If it really bothers you, than open up a private funded kosher soup kitchen.

Good luck, I’ve heard it a big undertaking and not easy to do.

banana123

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:10 pm
It would be a huge chillul Hashem to discriminate, even if they were privately funded.

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:11 pm
Because I have compassion on all of Gd’s human beings. Not just the ones that look like me .

According to Mr. Rappaport the government funding covers around ten percent of their budget.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:13 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
First, Masbia is tax funded so they cant discriminate against people. Second, many Jews do benefit from Masbia even if they dont look orthodox. Third, the Boro Park location does cater primarily to Orthodox Jews and even has community Shabbos and Yom Tov meals. And finally, they have many agreements with Yeshivas, Kollels, Jewish organizations, etc where they allow parents or clients of these groups to come in privately and take what they need. Like Sister to Sister has an agreement with them that their clients can come at a set time every week and take what they need, etc. So the lines that you see outside is very different than what is actually going on behind the scenes. And as far as I know, Masbia is the only Kosher soup kitchen/Pantry in NY so it is imperative that they continue to operate. Every donation helps.
Signed, a Masbia volunteer.

ETA: they still have to pay rent for all their locations and employees salaries so yes, they need more money than they get from the govt so every donation counts.

Hey fellow volunteer, I have lead shabbos meals there in the past ( before corona) it was something else!

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:16 pm
Your donations will go to kosher food for Jews......
They have separate appointments scheduled for different needs...
That’s all I can say .....

icebreaker

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:27 pm
I, for one, think it's absolutely beautiful. Plus, perhaps for many people, especially the elderly or disabled, Masbia is the closest soup kitchen to where they live.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics