Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Braised Halibut W/Roasted Cherry Tomatoes & Tahini (Chraime)

Amarante

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:49 pm
This was quite good and simple to make as I made the vegetable sauce ahead and then brought it to room temperature when I was ready to bake the fish.

I also made the tahini sauce ahead of time so that everything came together very quickly as I just had to add the sauce to the fish and bake. There are a lot of vegetables in the sauce so no need to make a separate vegetable although a tossed green salad from a bag is always nice and uncomplicated.

Halibut is an easy fish to dry out so it is good to cook it with a sauce so that it remains moist. Cod would make a good substitution if it is easier to source in your market or pricing is better.

Smoked paprika is essential for the recipe and is a great spice to have in your pantry as it enhances the flavor of many things - even a simple roast chicken is better with smoked paprika. Smile

Braised Halibut with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Tahini (Chraime)

Excerpt From: Eden Grinshpan - Eating Out Loud : Bold Middle Eastern Flavors for All Day, Every Day: a Cookbook

Serves 6

This North African dish, known as chraime (pronounced chr-eye-may—really let your back-of-the-throat cchhh rip) is inspired by a simple but rich dish traditionally made by the Sephardic Jews. For this version, we’re making a flavorful base with juicy ripe tomatoes, peppers, and spices for braising flaky halibut, and I fancied it up by adding some dry white wine for brightness. One tip: Be sure your sauce is seasoned properly because that’s what is giving your fish its flavor.

2 bunches cherry tomatoes on the vine, or 2 cups cherry tomatoes
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon harissa, store-bought or homemade (see this page)
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
⅓ cup dry white wine
6 medium tomatoes, chopped
6 halibut fillets (4 to 5 ounces each) or other white, flaky fish such as striped bass, sea bass, or cod, skinned
Garlicky Tahini (this page)
Chopped fresh herbs, such as basil and dill, for garnish

1 Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season well with salt and roast until charred and bursting, about 15 minutes.

2 In a large, deep skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, harissa, sweet paprika, turmeric, and smoked paprika and cook for 1 minute. Add the white wine and use your spoon to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the mixture simmer for 2 more minutes, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add the chopped tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down and start to resemble a sauce, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the lid and cook until slightly reduced, another 10 minutes.

3 Check the sauce for seasoning and increase the heat to a simmer. Let it reduce until it’s thickened slightly, about 5 minutes, which will make it more flavorful and help it cling to the fish. Place the halibut in the pan, making sure to spoon sauce over the fish. Cover and simmer until the fish is no longer translucent in the middle and the flesh is flaky, 6 to 8 minutes.

4 Serve right in the pan with the garlicky tahini drizzled over it and topped with the roasted cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs, and additional olive oil.

Garlicky Tahinni

Makes about 2 cups

Something magical happens when you blend tahini paste with ice water: It transforms into a rich and creamy sauce or dressing (shout-out to Mike Solomonov for this ice water hack; I swear it makes the sauce that much lighter and more velvety in texture). Add a hit of garlic, lemon juice, and salt and you’ll instantly have the Swiss Army knife of condiments in your fridge that you can use to finish just about any dish—fish, meat, grains, roasted veggies, salads, or sandwiches. It’s also perfect for using as the foundation for hummus. Garlicky Tahini also happens to be how I sneak protein into any vegetable meal.

1 cup tahini paste
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
1 garlic clove, grated
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
½ cup ice water, plus more if needed (see Note)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and ice water. It will reach a weird, lumpy consistency, but don’t be afraid. Keep whisking until it smooths out and becomes light in color (if it doesn’t, it needs more ice water, so just add a bit more). Tahini sauce with the perfect consistency will drip through the tines of a fork, but just barely. Taste for seasoning, adding more lemon juice or salt if desired. Store in a jar in the fridge for up to 1 week. If the tahini gets too thick while in the fridge, just loosen it up with a little water before using.

NOTE This is how much I need for the brand of tahini that I use, but it may be different for you. Start with some of the water and add until you’ve gotten a smooth, creamy consistency. If you add too much water, add a little more tahini to thicken the sauce back up again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics