Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What food do your kids eat after school
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:43 pm
I have ages 2 mths- 18 yrs
Coming home (different times)
They eat like two options of these:
Yogurt (with chocolate chips)
Cookies
Pretzels
Ices
Fruit
Rice cakes etc...
Sometimes a nosh or ice cream

After supper, (which I serve later) they still want fruits or crackers.
I bake a lot..
One day oatmeal cookies,
Brownie
Rugalech
Choco chip cookies
Peanut chews...

Additionally I make salads,
Ices
Smoothies
Pudding
Every day another treat

Is it too much? Does everyone give so much food?
My kids are not happy with chicken, soup and potatoes only. They eat supper, but dont stuff on it.
And they dont want to eat food (dinner) right away when coming home..
(Btw in case you're thinking, they are all average in size for their age)

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:50 pm
Way too many treats for my taste. I only offer fruits or veggie or fruit pouch before dinner

SuperWify

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:55 pm
Growing up we had dinner right away. Then right before bed my mom cut up a vegetable platter we all ate from.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Way too many treats for my taste. I only offer fruits or veggie or fruit pouch before dinner

What if they're still hungry?
I feel like if I eat things in between, I can't deprive them. Do you only eat fruit or veggies in between?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:58 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Growing up we had dinner right away. Then right before bed my mom cut up a vegetable platter we all ate from.

That sounds like the right thing on the books, but my kids are not happy with just that.

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:02 pm
My kids have supper as soon as they come off the bus which is around 445. Then at like 7 they’ll have cereal milk or crackers.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:02 pm
They're not happy with just dinner because you're offering too much junk. Of course they don't want real food. In the winter I have soup every day and the kids usually eat soup when they get home. If they don't want soup they have a fruit, applesauce, or plain snack or cookies. If they're hungry after dinner before bed, they'll have a fruit or small snack.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

trixx

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:04 pm
Yeah that's all junk food to me. I serve a fruit or vegetables with dip right away (3:30) and supper at 5. I'd even give supper earlier but it's not ready by then.

Zehava

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:06 pm
Cookie/cake with milk. Then as part of dinner they get another cookie/cake. After dinner it’s fruits only. Or more dinner. Usually they’re fine by then and busy with other things.

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:07 pm
I serve supper as soon as they come home.

I like the fact that it's somewhat staggered so I have time to feed the younger ones, and to better listen to each child at the end of a long day at school.

Their appetites are good then, before messing with snacks,

My energy levels are still ok, and only wanes from that point on, so it's best to get it done...

Before bedtime, I serve a snack.

I've tried different setups, but this worked out the best. Been doing this for years now.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What if they're still hungry?
I feel like if I eat things in between, I can't deprive them. Do you only eat fruit or veggies in between?

In between what? Dinner and bedtime? If they’re legitimately hungry (not bored) they need a bigger dinner. What does dinner look like? I’m a big advocate of Starting dinner with a healthy soup, something full of fiber like a veggie soup or lentil soup. I’d sooner make different soup every day than different baked good.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That sounds like the right thing on the books, but my kids are not happy with just that.

If my mother were offering me home baked ruggelach daily id prefer that too.

Sue me but it’s not my Role to make my kids ‘happy’ But it is to keep them healthy and teach them to make good choices.

I also have a strong take it or leave it policy. Meaning If they reject the fruit being offered they’re not really hungry at all

silverlining3

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:35 pm
They probably don't eat on dinner cuz they eat too much before, and therefore hungry quick again.

My kids are young so I can only talk for that age.
I encourage fruits when coming home, doesn't always happen. Usually ends up being cookie/cake and milk or a snack. I try too stick to eating, max, an hour before supper time. Most of the time they don't need anything after supper.

Older kids is a whole different schedule to begin with

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:39 pm
At most I give them a fruit when they come home. We don't have dessert of snacks during the week at home. They eat supper and that's it. They had enough snacks in school. On the weekends they have a snack in the afternoon and sometimes dessert after a meal. If they are hungry after eating supper they sometimes snack on rice cakes or melon. But I have kids under 10 maybe teens need a lot more food.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:42 pm
Dinner as soon as they get home around 4:45

Then they can have whatever is available, but since I don’t bake it’s packaged stuff, cereal and milk, oatmeal, cookies, etc.
Or leftovers, which usually ends up being lunch for someone.
There’s always apples, bananas, applesauce, baby carrots, cucumbers, pickles

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:47 pm
Mine are still very little. They also have their main meal at lunch time.

When we come home (4:30-5) is some combination of oatmeal, yogurt and cheese, followed by some fruit. This essentially ends up being dinner. I've stopped caring- I figure that's healthy enough.

After baths, when everyone's in PJs, and my husband comes home (around 6:30) we sit down to a formal dinner of chicken and veggies (or something similar) and the kids each taste 3-4 bites (again, I don't care because they that filling and healthy "snack"). They're not huge meat/chicken eaters, so this is all I'll get from them at home, and it's more about them trying new foods (apparently at daycare they eat chicken because everyone else is).

If they complain they're hungry at bedtime, they're invited back to the table where DH is still finishing up dinner.

keym

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 5:50 pm
How old?
I serve supper between 5-6 when they get off the bus.
The younger ones get a fruit, applesauce, or compote before bed at 7:30.
But my teens need a full fledged snack at 9:30 before showers. Some cookies, cake, or pretzels, fruit, yogurts if they're milchig, cereal, crackers, nuts, even sandwiches. Not all of that each night, but a real snack. It's 4 hours since supper and they're hungry.

DREAMING

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 6:13 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
They're not happy with just dinner because you're offering too much junk. Of course they don't want real food. In the winter I have soup every day and the kids usually eat soup when they get home. If they don't want soup they have a fruit, applesauce, or plain snack or cookies. If they're hungry after dinner before bed, they'll have a fruit or small snack.

What’s a plain snack

flmommy

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 6:22 pm
I can’t believe you bake everyday. That’s impressive! But ya I agree kind of junky. Stick the the smoothies and salads like you posted and maybe add in some nuts or popcorn.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 6:30 pm
I serve supper when my oldest gets home at about 5:30. Before that they get usually crackers or a (mini) cliff bar depending if theybare really hungry or not. Acter supper they have a fruit and before bed if hungry, crackers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics