Home

Seminary discussion for 2021/2022
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Linen
 

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:41 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
.

I'm not saying they aren't a wonderful place. I'm sure they are and I have heard lots of wonderful things.

All I'm saying if your child is struggling or she is OTD or semi religious but not engaging in sx and drinking and cursing and dressing in tank tops and shorts than this is not the proper school.

That's all I'm saying. There's a large spectrum of where people are holding and a crowd like this may drag a girl down. Someone who is simply struggling or is OTD but not engaging in these behaviors this isn't the right seminary.



Listen, Jewessence is an AMAZING program. But their girls are on the floor of the bars at night. Drugs are rappant even if they have a zero tolerance policy. They do fabulous things and Hashem should give them as much strength and financial stability as they need to keep their program running. BUT if your daughter is already on the way back may I suggest Neve Yerushalayim assuming she is not 18 but a little older. Just so you know who this information is coming from I am invovled in a nontraditional (aka not a BY or MO seminary) and I am an LCSW.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I don't think the girls in bnos sara are listening to english music, my dd went 2 yrs ago and she and all of her friends did not.


My sister went to Bnos Sarah (but more than 5 years ago). She and her friends who went are what I would describe as more open-minded, but yeshivish-BY type. Very tznius and frum. Not as insular and RW as, for example, Chemdas. It's possible that some of them would selectively listen to certain secular music.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:51 pm
Can anyone tell me more about amudim?
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 10:39 pm
And can someone please tell me about Meohr and Bnos chava?
Back to top

Purple2




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:03 am
As someone who works with kids, I completely agree with Linens take.
Back to top

amother




Burlywood
 

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can anyone tell me more about amudim?

I know it is very small and off the beaten path. It is supposed to be very warm. My DDs classmate who went is incredibly serious about yiddishkeit and very studious but beats to her own drum. I don't know much else.
Back to top

cat81




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:13 am
So my DD was suggested the following seminars below. However, I am worried that they are too yeshivish for her as she listens to non Jewish music, watches the occasional movie and wants to go to college (not Kollel life). She thinks otherwise as she doesn’t even wear pencil skirts for tznius Smile

A little more background: out of tower that went to a M.O. elementary school and b”y HS (in name only). Many of her classmates are going to michlala, while the more frum Girls will go to Machon Raya. But 100% is college bound.

Bnos Sarah
Bnos Avigayil - we heard it’s not the typical type of schooling
Machon Raya - very similar to current HS and my DD wants a change

Thoughts/comments?


Last edited by cat81 on Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Wheat
 

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:21 am
Not sure why her seminary advisor is suggesting chemdas or bnos sara if she listens to non Jewish music and watches movies. Totally not the type
Back to top

cat81




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:25 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Not sure why her seminary advisor is suggesting chemdas or bnos sara if she listens to non Jewish music and watches movies. Totally not the type


That’s what I told my DD. But it seems as if the principal/advisor thinks otherwise.

Based on the school itself, everyone listens to non Jewish music and watches movies. The only question is how much.

Using that scale, the tznius of her clothing (and where she wants to be) is why they made the suggestion.
Back to top

amother




Tangerine
 

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 1:34 pm
cat81 wrote:
That’s what I told my DD. But it seems as if the principal/advisor thinks otherwise.

Based on the school itself, everyone listens to non Jewish music and watches movies. The only question is how much.

Using that scale, the tznius of her clothing (and where she wants to be) is why they made the suggestion.

Which school told you that? Your dd's school or the seminary itself?
That's exactly what I'm trying to find out!!!
My Dd is very yeshivish and doesn't want to go if girls watch movies and listen to non Jewish music! We were told bnos sara is a very good choice but I'm trying to clarify this particular nekuda!
Thanks!
(Or did they mean it happens in ALL seminaries??? Sad )
Back to top

cat81




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 2:07 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Which school told you that? Your dd's school or the seminary itself?
That's exactly what I'm trying to find out!!!
My Dd is very yeshivish and doesn't want to go if girls watch movies and listen to non Jewish music! We were told bnos sara is a very good choice but I'm trying to clarify this particular nekuda!
Thanks!
(Or did they mean it happens in ALL seminaries??? Sad )


Referring to her current school. We are not yeshivish even by out of towner standards.
Back to top

amother




Orchid
 

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 12:25 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Listen, Jewessence is an AMAZING program. But their girls are on the floor of the bars at night. Drugs are rappant even if they have a zero tolerance policy. They do fabulous things and Hashem should give them as much strength and financial stability as they need to keep their program running. BUT if your daughter is already on the way back may I suggest Neve Yerushalayim assuming she is not 18 but a little older. Just so you know who this information is coming from I am invovled in a nontraditional (aka not a BY or MO seminary) and I am an LCSW.


I really think you are doing a disservice to the community and spreading a lot of Loshon Hara. As a therapist in Jerusalem who works a lot with seminary girls I can tell you that in every seminary listed here there are girls drinking, doing drugs and sleeping around. From the most yeshivish BY to the most non traditional ones and yes including Jewessence. It's not everyone in every program. There are girls in BY sems that are doing ask these behaviors and girls in Jewessence who are not. By painting a picture that is not accurate it may chas vishalom result in someone who could really benefit from Jewessence not being able to go and therefore go to a sem which is not right for her and will not give her what Jewessence could.

My advice to mothers is to speak to girls who have been in each sem. I would even venture to say speak to the girls who get kicked out of the sem to see what's really go on there.

As an aside Neve does not take young women who grew up frum. That's actually why Jewessence started.
Back to top

cat81




 
 
 
 

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:08 pm
Can anyone share with me the contact info for a Bnos Avigayil student, either someone whose there right now or went last year? Trying to find someone for DD to call and ask questions, and no one went there from her school.
Back to top

amother




Turquoise
 

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 12:32 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I really think you are doing a disservice to the community and spreading a lot of Loshon Hara. As a therapist in Jerusalem who works a lot with seminary girls I can tell you that in every seminary listed here there are girls drinking, doing drugs and sleeping around. From the most yeshivish BY to the most non traditional ones and yes including Jewessence. It's not everyone in every program. There are girls in BY sems that are doing ask these behaviors and girls in Jewessence who are not. By painting a picture that is not accurate it may chas vishalom result in someone who could really benefit from Jewessence not being able to go and therefore go to a sem which is not right for her and will not give her what Jewessence could.

My advice to mothers is to speak to girls who have been in each sem. I would even venture to say speak to the girls who get kicked out of the sem to see what's really go on there.

As an aside Neve does not take young women who grew up frum. That's actually why Jewessence started.


Girls in BY seminaries don't go a f#uck 3 guys in one night and tell the whole dorm about the amazing sx they had, in detail.

I can't speak about other years but they all shared the same guys to have sx with last year.

Again I personally. Know someone who was there last year. The madrichot have mandatory weekly meetings with a counselor/therapist to talk about the girls. I don't know any other seminary that does this and also needs entire. Staff. Meeting twice a week.
Back to top

amother




Gold
 

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:43 am
For those looking for something a little lighter but still with Excellent learning and a great mix of girls. Dd went two darchei Bina. She was so happy. Top teachers. A good choice of classes. Location was good as she didn't want to be central but close enuf to the hub . She really grew in her academics (she's quite smart and was stimulated plenty) as well as hashkafa. Kolel life wasn't pushed but marrying a guy who sets aside time to learn, be it each day or twice a week to was encouraged
Back to top

amother




Lemon
 

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:04 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
For those looking for something a little lighter but still with Excellent learning and a great mix of girls. Dd went two darchei Bina. She was so happy. Top teachers. A good choice of classes. Location was good as she didn't want to be central but close enuf to the hub . She really grew in her academics (she's quite smart and was stimulated plenty) as well as hashkafa. Kolel life wasn't pushed but marrying a guy who sets aside time to learn, be it each day or twice a week to was encouraged


We just applied here and to Tomer Devorah..any idea when the letters go out?
Back to top

susanstohelit




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:13 am
I just want to second the recommendation that, if your daughter is interested in MO seminaries (from Michlalah/DB on left), you check out the YU Israel Program website as a resource. The seminary pages are INCREDIBLY detailed and helpful. (There is a similar page for MO boys' Israel yeshivos.)
Back to top

cat81




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:22 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
We just applied here and to Tomer Devorah..any idea when the letters go out?

I think around march 1
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Recent Topics

Page 4 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Pesach menu 2021/5781 (is that the right Hebrew year?) 15 Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:14 pm View last post
Discussion on the Daf - Pesachim
by Aylat
81 Thu, Mar 04 2021, 6:49 pm View last post
BYA Seminary - what do you know about it firsthand?
by jvine
8 Wed, Mar 03 2021, 11:23 pm View last post
No seminary next year?
by amother
8 Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:11 pm View last post
Seminary BYA - please tell me about it
by amother
3 Wed, Mar 03 2021, 10:01 pm View last post