Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Tin foil containers or silicone

Rugelech

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:23 pm
How often do you use tin foil containers in cooking/ baking? If you do use foil containers do you line the container with baking paper or put food straight into container?
I use foil containers a lot because they are easy to use and disposable but I sometimes wonder if it would be healthier to use silicone instead of foil containers.
I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:31 pm
The aluminum has been linked to Alzheimers. I'm sure someone will come and post studies saying otherwise, but since I have other options I'm not taking chances. I no longer use the foil disposables or any cookware with aluminum. (Or deodorant with aluminum for that matter). I switched to silicone. Hopefully no research comes out in 5 or 10 years telling me that's not healthy either.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:46 pm
I cook a lot at the beginning of the week. I use as much non disposable as I can because the food cooks better then I transfer to foil pans for storage and reheating later in the week. I feel like reheating already cooked food for 20 minutes is not going to kill anyone and it saves me a ton of stress if I dont have huge piles of dishes to wash each night.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:49 pm
Almost never. We use Pyrex 98% of the time. Also use my le creuset Dutch ovens.

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:13 pm
I use glass/pyrex/ceramic forms whenever possible, in order to avoid the aluminum from tin foil forms.
Silicone forms, especially cheaper or brightly colored ones, can contain carcinogenic additives. Not all of them but some.
Only very occasionally, when I need to prepare unusual loads of food, like for chagim, I might use tin foil forms to make life easier. But only with non-acidic foods because acid (lemon juice, vinegar etc.) makes the aluminum leach out.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:17 pm
I almost never use disposable unless for some reason I am bringing a dish to someone's house and it's easier to just leave the container - especially if it is going to be heated or cooked there. I would never leave a pan or whatever to be retrieved because that generally never happens.

I don't know what you mean by silicone. There is silicone which is intended to bake in but I find the difficult to use because they aren't as stable as metal or glass cookware.

I generally line my pans when I am roasting with tin foil for easy clean up. I use silicone or parchment for baking cookies because it is generally recommended. If I am making layer cakes I will use the old fashioned method of greasing the paper at the bottom.

No one in my family has suffered from any form of early onset dementia and I think the dangers of aluminum foil have been repudiated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking