Home

Do you work from home? I want to hear about your job!
Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Pewter

Post  Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:22 pm

DallasIma

Post  Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oooooh I actually REALLY WISH I could do something like that!! I did do a training course in proofreading and editing a while ago but nothing ever came of it...

It was really Hashgacha Pratit that I ended up in that field. I love that kind of work. Oh, and I do transcribing at home as well. There's one company I've been doing transcriptions for, for the last 40 years or so. I've done transcribing for other people/companies but mostly for that company. For a while I tried working for an outfit that farmed out legal transcriptions, but I didn't like that work (it was too exacting) and I found the pay scale to be lower than was worth it. I've never become a certified transcriptionist although I know that there is a certification process for that. So it's basically just freelance work for the same client who has used me for all these years, mostly to transcribe meetings. They had their last meeting on Zoom, and I got a kick out of seeing the faces that went with the voices. Some of them, I had pictured very differently.

amother

Smokey

Post  Sun, Nov 29 2020, 6:25 pm
I work in the writing industry, doing a mix of writing, ghostwriting, editing, coaching, and guiding new authors through the publication process. The majority of my parnassah comes from the secular market, but I also work in the Jewish (frum) market because that’s my passion.

amother

Seashell

Post  Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:12 pm
DallasIma wrote:
I work as a proofreader/copy editor for the local Jewish newspaper. Never had any special training in that (my college degree is in an unrelated field and I never used it because I took the mommy track right after I got that degree) but I have a natural talent for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. It was Hashgacha Pratit how I got that job; I had been working for another Jewish company and then they had a reduction in force and my job was eliminated. So I contacted the newspaper to ask if they knew of any open positions, and they said THEY had an open position. At that time I became an assistant editor, but then I scaled back several years later (in fact I retired and then un-retired) and became just a proofreader and copy editor, which is a much less demanding job. Usually I work a few hours one or two days each week. Since March I've been working from home.

ETA: My kids are long grown and out of the house, and we have an empty nest.

Was actually just saying how I would love to be a proofreader. I have an eye for catching grammar mistakes and typos. Typos and mistakes are one of my biggest pet peeves while reading novels.

amother

Cyan

Post  Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:20 pm
I’m a graphic designer. I have a few companies that I work for making website banners, and promotional emails. I charge $45 per hour.
I didn’t take any course, I’m self taught

amother

Lemon

Post  Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:53 pm
I'm a software engineer, my salary is over 100k and I work from home full time (40hrs officially but it's flexible). I have no college degree, I just have a knack for coding and problem solving. I did take a 9 month bootcamp though. I think it's a great opportunity for a frum woman but you do need to enjoy the work to get ahead in the field.
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers