Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Do you work from home? I want to hear about your job!
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 4:51 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I'm a software engineer, my salary is over 100k and I work from home full time (40hrs officially but it's flexible). I have no college degree, I just have a knack for coding and problem solving. I did take a 9 month bootcamp though. I think it's a great opportunity for a frum woman but you do need to enjoy the work to get ahead in the field.

Which Boot camp did you take?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 9:11 am
I sell items on online platforms. Poshmark, Ebay, Etsy, and Mercari. No training needed. You just need to be good at sourcing products.
I also sell on Amazon but that does require much more intense knowledge.
You also need to be OK with the fact that it's not a set income. One month you can do quite well with nothing coming in the next month.

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 11:48 am
I run a mini marketing agency. I’ve worked at an in person marketing agency in the past, and I think that’s really important to gain the skills needed for the job. I offer some services and I use freelancers to fill in the other services (Ie web development, copywriting)

Pay depends on how much work you take on and how savvy/confident you are as a business owner. You can make 60k doing what I do, and you can make 360k. It varies tremendously, but there is the possibility to make a great parnassah BH if your husband is learning and in the more flexible position.

I didn’t go to school for what I do but I did spend many years building up the varied skill set.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 5:03 pm
I'm a software engineer with a similar job and happy to share bootcamp recommendations.
I took a frum course (Lakewoodprogramming.com) but there are other highly professional courses such as fullstack academy, flatiron school or hackreactor which are also great options.

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 5:25 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
So I dont work for vipkid. There are many companies.
Yes, now with covid and so many unemployed, they have loads of teachers and not such a demand from the students.
Yes, pay is around 20 an hour. The compsay I work for, the more hours you work, the more bonuses.
And, it's really funny bec the kids dont really know english and so you have to teach them stuff with toys and hand gestures and it's also interesting to get a real glimpse into such a diff culture.

Do you not need to know how to speak their language a bit?

play doe

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 5:49 pm
If you're in the tri-state area: some agencies now allow care managers to work remotely.
A bachelor's degree in anything is usually required, and many agencies will pay more if you have a masters degree.
It's a combination of computer work and phone work. Something like a glorified secretary, but the work is cut out for you, you're not any particular person's secretary. You are servicing a particular population, in the case of the agencies listed below, the special needs population serviced by the opwdd.
You would also need to visit the members you service sometimes, though that requirement might be suspended still.
The pay is usually 50-65k annually for a 35-40 hour work week, depending on level of education and experience and whether you speak another language, and you might have 8 weeks vacation.
Contact CCOs such as Tricounty and Advance Care Alliance, or you can try agencies that provide Medicaid waiver services, such as Hand in Hand, Human Care, Hamaspik.

MsShona

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 10:12 am
I'm an operations manager for a Jewish nonprofit. I make $85K. My long term goal is to snag a COO position because those pay around $150K+.

As far as my background, it's a bit all over the place in regards to my experience. I got my start 20 years ago working for a frum real estate development company. I had no college degree and no experience. In time I transitioned around to doing real estate closings and then commerical real estate brokerage support. The common thread through all these jobs was being an office administrator. I would get familiar with everything from contracts, accounting, IT and training.

I did get my MBA (eventually -- when I was 33). However I actually worked in a government role (for the local planning commission). That was during COVID and my kids were toddlers. The situation with childcare just went topsy turvy and I put more focus on finding a remote role instead of cushy benefits (to be fair, I still miss not having to pay anything for health care coverage and the pension at the planning commission!). I transitioned to a hybrid role at an intermediate unit (it is like a school district here in Pennsylvania) as a fiscal analyst and I worked directly under the Operations Manager there. He pretty much had me doing his job, so when my current role came along, I knew I could do it!

I do feel incredibly blessed to not only be working at home but to have a decent income while doing so (it could be better -- I am a single mother). All of my kids are now in school though -- so it does make the childcare situation easier. But it is very nice to not have to take off if one of them is sick or needs to go to the doctor or something!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers