Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Best Gossipy soap-opera style serial that's now a novel
1  2  Next

shaindeldevora

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 5:13 pm
Any recommendations? I love all of Riva Pomerantz's books. I have read a lot of Sara Wiederblank but she reminds me of one of my chinuch teachers, preachy and holier than thou (!).
I'm looking for the type of book that has you reading "just one more chapter" cuz the cliffhangers in the previous chapters were just too juicy..

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 7:58 pm
Would love to know also!

gingy

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 8:27 pm
anything by Ariella Schiller!!

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 8:34 pm
gingy wrote:
anything by Ariella Schiller!!

I LOVE her first 2 books, Price Tags was eh and Bricks and Stones was but better but meant for teens.
Really enjoyed the new book Pride and Preference by Barbara Bensoussan

blueberry6

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 8:55 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
Any recommendations? I love all of Riva Pomerantz's books. I have read a lot of Sara Wiederblank but she reminds me of one of my chinuch teachers, preachy and holier than thou (!).
I'm looking for the type of book that has you reading "just one more chapter" cuz the cliffhangers in the previous chapters were just too juicy..

Lol do you really think so? I always found her slightly satirical. The "preachy" part always seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek to me - whether or not that's what she intended, I always find it humorous
But I second the vote for Pride and Preference. I think it's an absolutely hysterical parody LOL
I had to keep reading to find out, how is she gonna work this bit out? And that part? Etc
But you won't appreciate it unless you've read Pride and Prejudice and like it at least a little bit

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 8:58 pm
Honest question: how can a Jewish book be ‘soap opera style’?

blueberry6

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:03 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Honest question: how can a Jewish book be ‘soap opera style’?

What's the problem? It's basically just a long (schlepped out) dramatic story, at least that's what I'm assuming the OP means

shaindeldevora

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:20 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I LOVE her first 2 books, Price Tags was eh and Bricks and Stones was but better but meant for teens.
Really enjoyed the new book Pride and Preference by Barbara Bensoussan

I liked Price Tags when it ran in Hamodia. I will check out her other book.
And yes Pride and Preference was fantastic, even though I never read the original..

shaindeldevora

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:24 pm
blueberry6 wrote:
Lol do you really think so? I always found her slightly satirical. The "preachy" part always seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek to me - whether or not that's what she intended, I always find it humorous
But I second the vote for Pride and Preference. I think it's an absolutely hysterical parody LOL
I had to keep reading to find out, how is she gonna work this bit out? And that part? Etc
But you won't appreciate it unless you've read Pride and Prejudice and like it at least a little bit

Rebbetzen Z was exactly as cynical as Sara Wis in her books but I find there to be an undercurrent. I also find it hard to like any of the characters in her books and series. Idealistic young single teacher is determined to make it in a "tough" teaching environment. Preachy dialogs ensure.

Idealistic secretary worships the Principal of the high school. Preachy moralizing ocurrs.

Idealistic Rabbi launches a new chinuch initiative (notice any recurring themes?!) Backfires because not preachy enough.

shaindeldevora

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:26 pm
blueberry6 wrote:
What's the problem? It's basically just a long (schlepped out) dramatic story, at least that's what I'm assuming the OP means

Absolutely second this. A soap opera, from my understanding, is an ongoing saga with all sorts of emotional twists and turns, each episode ending with some dramatic unanswered question that makes the reader want to tune in the next time.
If you have read, literally ANY frum weekly publication over the last 20 years you would know exactly what I mean.

shaindeldevora

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:27 pm
blueberry6 wrote:

I'm terrible with names but I really loved the serial about the wedding hall manager and read the book of it when it came out..

blueberry6

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:28 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
Rebbetzen Z was exactly as cynical as Sara Wis in her books but I find there to be an undercurrent. I also find it hard to like any of the characters in her books and series. Idealistic young single teacher is determined to make it in a "tough" teaching environment. Preachy dialogs ensure.

Idealistic secretary worships the Principal of the high school. Preachy moralizing ocurrs.

Idealistic Rabbi launches a new chinuch initiative (notice any recurring themes?!) Backfires because not preachy enough.

Okay, I hear you. But I guess I just look at it differently. Preachy, yes, but to me it always seemed like she was trying to make fun of, well, preachy people. About how extreme they can be. Lots of things in her stories always seemed ever-so-slightly too exaggerated to be serious, and to me it seemed like she was doing it intentionally, maybe to prove a point.
Just the way I viewed it

blueberry6

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:32 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
I'm terrible with names but I really loved the serial about the wedding hall manager and read the book of it when it came out..

A Veiled Truth, by Etka Gitel Schwartz.
LOVE her books. Still waiting for the Grey Lines to come out in a book (Civil War story) - I have it sort-of verified that it IS happening, one of these years!

shaindeldevora

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:32 pm
blueberry6 wrote:
Okay, I hear you. But I guess I just look at it differently. Preachy, yes, but to me it always seemed like she was trying to make fun of, well, preachy people. About how extreme they can be. Lots of things in her stories always seemed ever-so-slightly too exaggerated to be serious, and to me it seemed like she was doing it intentionally, maybe to prove a point.
Just the way I viewed it

I definitely hear you!

shaindeldevora

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:34 pm
blueberry6 wrote:
A Veiled Truth, by Etka Gitel Schwartz.
LOVE her books. Still waiting for the Grey Lines to come out in a book (Civil War story) - I have it sort-of verified that it IS happening, one of these years!

I generally don't like historical fiction but if it's the same author I will definitely get it when it comes out. I happen to be loving the historical story Rocking Horse in Mishpacha. Very very well done and the twists are fantastic!

booboo24

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:06 pm
New money by shani pruzansky....
Enough... the new riva pomerantz
All fall down by Rachel berger
False fronts by batya ruddel
Role call by Tzippy kestenbaum

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:09 pm
blueberry6 wrote:

That’s not what I think of when I think soap opera but that Explanation makes sense

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:13 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
Absolutely second this. A soap opera, from my understanding, is an ongoing saga with all sorts of emotional twists and turns, each episode ending with some dramatic unanswered question that makes the reader want to tune in the next time.
If you have read, literally ANY frum weekly publication over the last 20 years you would know exactly what I mean.

I do get the MAGAZINES but honestly o don’t read the serials. By soap opera I think General Hospital and Days of our Lives, lots of sx, scheming, backstabbing, crazy plot lines, and more sx. I know understand what YOU mean though

blueberry6

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:26 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I do get the MAGAZINES but honestly o don’t read the serials. By soap opera I think General Hospital and Days of our Lives, lots of sx, scheming, backstabbing, crazy plot lines, and more sx. I know understand what YOU mean though

I think a soap opera is generally defined as a long, drawn-out, rambling tv (or radio) show, often with no clear plotline. Oh, and dramatic. That's a must Very Happy
The examples you quoted definitely fall into that category, but I think that the specifics of just what constitutes "drama" and "long-winding" are left up to the producers. So there's probably a range.
(As an aside, the term comes from the days when these dramas, played on the radio, were sponsored by soap manufacturers.)

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:19 am
Rhona Lewis's Stand Tall. Apparently it was in The Jewish Press. I think it'll fit the bill.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room