Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Apple Cinnamon Crumb Cake

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:57 am
This was a really good apple cake and reminded me of the coffee cakes my mother would bring home from the bakery on Avenue J. My favorite was the blueberry crumb version but this apple is delicious. Sour cream in a cake gives is such a wonderful taste and texture.

It came together easily and is a nice type of cake to have around for a nosh - which is why coffee cakes were invented. LOL

Apple Cinnamon Crumb Cake

Ingredients

* Crumb Topping

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
* 1 and 1/4 tsp. tsp. ground cinnamon
* Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 3.5 ounces (7 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted

* Apple Cake

* 5 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup light brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
* 1 tbsp. bourbon
* 8 ounces sour cream
* 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
* 1/2 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
* 1&1/4 tsp. baking powder
* 1/4 tsp. baking soda
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 cup peeled and diced granny smith apple (this is about 1 good size apple)

Instructions

Crumb Topping

1. Mix all dry ingredients together in bowl.

1. Pour in melted butter and mix together with a fork, making sure everyone gets coated. Set aside.

Apple Cake

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8" square pan with non-stick pan spray and line with parchment paper.

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.

1. Mix in eggs, vanilla, and bourbon.

1. Alternate adding dry ingredients and sour cream, starting and ending with dries.

1. Stir in diced apples and pour batter into prepared pan. Even it out with a spatula if needed.

1. Top with crumb topping and bake for 50-55 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

1. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total

thelioness

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:00 am
Amarante, I just want to let you know I love your recipe posts! Thank you for sharing them, you post the best recipes all the time.

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:11 am
thelioness wrote:
Amarante, I just want to let you know I love your recipe posts! Thank you for sharing them, you post the best recipes all the time.

I am glad if you like anything I have posted. If you make this cake, let me know.

My name is Amarante and I have an addiction to p*orn - recipes are my p*orn as I will read through them and imagine eating them. LOL And then I will actually make some of them - it's just as easy to make a new recipe once I have found one and generally I try to avoid recipes that are a real potchke - I prefer stuff that can be prepped ahead of time as I get lazy by late afternoon and I also really like recipes that combine the protein and veg so there are fewer separate pans to tend to.

cbsp

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:18 am
Do you think this could be made pareve without sacrificing too much?

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:30 am
cbsp wrote:
Do you think this could be made pareve without sacrificing too much?

You could probably sub out the butter with a good margarine. You wouldn’t have that incomparable taste of butter cakes but there are other strong flavors going on so it’s not like a delicate butter cookie or cake.

I don’t know about the sour cream since it provides a chemical aspect in terms of interacting with other ingredients for the texture as well as leavening. It also provides a very distinctive taste which would be missed. I don’t know if non dairy sour cream would work. But you can always try. I am sure even a failure would be eaten by less discriminating taste buds - e.g. children in my world LOL LOL

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

tp3

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:37 am
Yum! I wish I had a milchig oven.

cbsp

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 2:32 pm
Amarante wrote:
You could probably sub out the butter with a good margarine. You wouldn’t have that incomparable taste of butter cakes but there are other strong flavors going on so it’s not like a delicate butter cookie or cake.

I don’t know about the sour cream since it provides a chemical aspect in terms of interacting with other ingredients for the texture as well as leavening. It also provides a very distinctive taste which would be missed. I don’t know if non dairy sour cream would work. But you can always try. I am sure even a failure would be eaten by less discriminating taste buds - e.g. children in my world LOL LOL

Thanks.

I'm actually baking milchigs now, so I'm not completely opposed to the idea. It's just that chalav yisroel butter sticks are really really expensive... I also tend to keep my baked goods pareve (unless it's a cheesecake or something that features dairy prominently) just so we have more flexibility...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins