Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
When to start pumping milk

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:02 am
When I was pregnant, someone advised me to pump so I wouldn't be the only one who could feed the baby. Sounded great, and everyone I know has pumps so I bought a breast pump.

Baby recently arrived and milk started coming in a few days ago. I realized I don't think I should pump yet because I want my body to know how much to produce based on how much baby eats. I'm home anyway with the baby right now, and am not going back to work for at least the next four/five months, but I'm probably going to want to occasionally get out and do things eventually without the baby and would like to leave a food supply behind.

I'm not in a rush at the moment, but given those circumstances, when would be ideal to start pumping? Is there a time period after which it's less likely to create milk production or nipple confusion issues?

Also, am I missing something or is there no breastfeeding forum on imamother?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:10 am
Kellymom.com is an amazing resource for nursing moms

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:12 am
I never pump. I give 1 formula bottle a day from day 1 because I want my babies to take bottles. If you don't want to give formula, you can pump once a day when the baby gives you the longest sleep stretch. If you want your baby to be able to take a bottle, it's very important to give 1 bottle a day from the beginning.

newyorkmom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:17 am
I believe it’s good to pump if u are skipping a feeding or if baby didn’t eat well in order to build up your milk supply- especially for the first 6 weeks.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:33 am
If you start pumping now, your body will produce more milk. I don't see why it would be an issue to have excess milk?

With time your body will adjust to produce the right amount of milk for the appropriate time of day.

I have more milk in the morning and evening hours because that's when my toddler nurses most.

Avoid pumping shortly before your baby will nurse, because then you may not have enough milk for her.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:42 am
I took my kids with me to work so never had to really pump. What I did was I pumped after I finished nursing so I had an emergency stash in my freezer that dh can use if I am not home.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 12:27 pm
In the beginning, I pumped after feedings
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics