Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Celiac diagnosis-gluten free food/recipe help please NY/NJ
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:13 am
My son was just diagnosed with celiac. I'm looking for help with gluten substitutes for recipes and what flour options you like. We don't have any other allergies or food sensitivities (B'H!) and I would prefer kid friendly recipes with regular oil and white sugar. I'm not looking to become health conscious right now the gluten free is enough of a challenge.
The doctor wants us to hold off on oats for now so no recipes with oats please.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:24 am
As far as baking goes, think Pesach recipes, ground almonds, potato flour - just no matzo meal!

Cheshire cat

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:29 am
You can definitely use oats, as long as its certified gluten free.
My child has celiac, j know this for certain.

I bake delicious oatmeal cookies that the whole family enjoys.

Cheshire cat

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:30 am
Unless your child needs to hold off oats for another reason?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:37 am
Can you please post recipie for the gluten free oatmeal cookies your kids like? Do you also have an oatmeal muffin recipie? I have been looking for a good one. Thanks!

simcha2

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:38 am
I find the king Arthur gluten free flour and the Bob's 1 to 1, both work well in regular baked recipes. Just substitute.

For pasta, the Ronzoni gluten free (yellow box).

What kind of recipes are you looking for?

Cheshire cat

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:40 am
Sure thing.

I have several delicious ones that I make often

Will post in the evening, when I'm home and have recipe handy

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:41 am
For ideas of gluten free food:
Meatballs, chicken, scrambled eggs
Gf lentil noodles or rice noodles - can layer with sauce and cheese
Muddy buddies - recipie on rice Chex box
Gf cholent with rice instead of barley

Hatzlacha!

happy12

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:41 am
Cheshire cat wrote:

Not necessarily. Many doctors want a newly diagnosed patient off oats for the first 6 months.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:46 am
Cheshire cat wrote:

The GI said that since some celiac kids don't do well with oats we should first make sure his numbers go back to normal before then try them. I've spoken to other GI's they all had the same recommendation.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:49 am
simcha2 wrote:
I find the king Arthur gluten free flour and the Bob's 1 to 1, both work well in regular baked recipes. Just substitute.

For pasta, the Ronzoni gluten free (yellow box).

What kind of recipes are you looking for?

Cakes, cookies, muffins and pancakes to start with. Really anything kid friendly. He's a good eater but not super adventurous. I eventually want to try challah but I'm not ready for that yet.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:04 am
your goal is to replace all gluten with nutritious foods such as proteins and veggies.
Try not to replace with empty calories.
Also, if you can move your entire family off gluten would be ideal otherwise you will constantly be busy with jealousy and replacements.

There are loads of gluten free items in the stores these days with half of them being junky empty calories that do not fill you up. And they are expensive! Your child won't even be satiated.

We haven't done gluten in years and we don't buy gluten free alternatives either and I work full times my life is busy so you what I am saying is that it is not as hard as you imagine.

Eggs, avocados and almond butter rice cakes for breakfast.
Lunch can be homemade chummus, salads, tuna salad etc etc
Dinners usually includes brown rice pasta, quinoa, potatoes and sweet potatoes. Chicken, fish or meat. soups soups and soups. baked vegetables and kugels etc.
I stock different types of soups in the freezer they are the most nutritious and filling food when going gluten free.

Good luck and may you all be healthy.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:31 am
Op pls pm me or email me at tzutzie@gmail.com.
I have lots of info.

syrima

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:35 am
Are you near a Trader Joe's? They have lots of GF stuff. Right now they have a yummy GF pumpkin loaf cake in stores. They have GF flour, almond flour, GF cake and pancake mixes, GF pretzels, crackers, and oreo style cookies. All with no oats. We love their GF everything bagels toasted with butter -yum!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:51 am
syrima wrote:
Are you near a Trader Joe's? They have lots of GF stuff. Right now they have a yummy GF pumpkin loaf cake in stores. They have GF flour, almond flour, GF cake and pancake mixes, GF pretzels, crackers, and oreo style cookies. All with no oats. We love their GF everything bagels toasted with butter -yum!

Yes we are thank you for the suggestions. I find it a pain to look through the store and all the new hechsherim so I usually stick to the same few products but I guess it's time to put in the effort!

ontarget

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 12:31 pm
Supreme health sells alot of foods that my son eats.
Katz has a g.f donuts, bread crumbs, rugelach
Kinnikinik makes yum choc chip cookies, and sandwich cookies.
Glutino makes wafers that my other kids who arent gluten free fight over cuz they are so good. Authentic flour mix is a great flour to substitute in pancakes, baking or whatever u usually need flour for
Everything here u can find at supreme.

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 12:34 pm
Dont think pesach! The best GF products are usually kitnios. I never understood the rush to stock up on pesach items when the katzs GF products are much tastier.

aussie2

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 12:50 pm
I agree w/ recommendation for trader's joe. My daughter loves the gf everything bagels..
Never heard of the gf oreo cookies -are those oud?

You wrote you are scared of making challah. What I do to make it easier is buy a gf challah mix- Rorie & orly both make gf challah mixes that you just need to add a few ingredients to mix, let rise & shape.
I find it is super sticky so I use an ice cream scooper & make in muffin tins..

Also, another treat I didn't see mentioned is rice krispie treats (double check brand of Rice Krispies- some actually have wheat..)

-u can buy gf pizza crusts & add sauce & cheese

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 12:55 pm
there is someone in lakewood that bakes delicious gluten free baked goods. chana rochel gluten freedom 17325888638

syrima

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 1:35 pm
The oreos they have are called Joe-Joe's, and are Chof-K Dairy. OP, all the GF things I listed above are either OU or Chof-K. You probably just didn't even notice them before. And I will add to the list, they have GF pizza dough in the cheese refrigerated section. KVH (Dairy) from Boston.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics