Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Positive vs gentle vs Attachment focused vs Authoritative

behappy2

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 2:26 pm
Positive parenting
Gentle parenting
Attachment focused parenting (not attached parenting)
Authoritative parenting (not authoritarian)

How are these the same and how are these different?

crust

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 2:27 pm
I am not sure this is the one but I just read an article about it.

https://positivepsychology.com.....ting/

I'll can try to find the other links later.

trixx

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 2:56 pm
Attachment parenting (made up by Dr Sears) is nothing like attachment science (by Mary Ainsworth) which is fascinating and amazing

But to answer your question, they can all be the same. Respectful or gentle isn't permissive.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 3:10 pm
Simply, you can't parent well without attachment. Start from there.

behappy2

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:03 pm
Seems like from what I'm reading online that gentle, positive and authoritative are all the same and they all focus on discipline . Attachment focused has the added play, desire and attachment with less focus on the discipline.

Anyone have a different viewpoint?

trixx

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:17 pm
behappy2 wrote:
Seems like from what I'm reading online that gentle, positive and authoritative are all the same and they all focus on discipline . Attachment focused has the added play, desire and attachment with less focus on the discipline.

Anyone have a different viewpoint?

No. They all share a similar manner of discipline ie teaching (the definition of the word) not punishment. The focus is not on discipline. And all of them encourage a secure attachment.

behappy2

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:06 pm
trixx wrote:
No. They all share a similar manner of discipline ie teaching (the definition of the word) not punishment. The focus is not on discipline. And all of them encourage a secure attachment.

Exactly. They all share a similar manner of discipline. The theory is all based around childrens' misbehavior, not on parenting per se. The attachment piece is in regards to the way they discipline. Am I not right?

As opposed to attachment focused parenting that focuses on the way you greet your child for example.

Today I did crafts with my child. I'm assuming that doesn't get covered in positive or gentle parenting since he wasn't misbehaving. Correct?

trixx

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 8:56 pm
behappy2 wrote:
Exactly. They all share a similar manner of discipline. The theory is all based around childrens' misbehavior, not on parenting per se. The attachment piece is in regards to the way they discipline. Am I not right?

As opposed to attachment focused parenting that focuses on the way you greet your child for example.

Today I did crafts with my child. I'm assuming that doesn't get covered in positive or gentle parenting since he wasn't misbehaving. Correct?

I don't know where you're getting your information from but no. None of it is behavior focused. If you want recommendations of books to read or Instagram accounts to follow for a better understanding, feel free to pm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics