Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is considered an average salary?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 10:18 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Tuition is not a pretax expense. Childcare for children under 5 could be covered (at least partially) through a dependent care FSA but definitely not regular tuition.
OP, the main thing isn't to compare yourself to the average person but see what works for you.

Yes it is a pretax expense for me.

Thanks for the hug btw, whomever that was. 🥰

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 10:20 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Yes it is a pretax expense for me.

Thanks for the hug btw, whomever that was. 🥰

That would only be legal if you were a teacher living in New York, so otherwise maybe you shouldn't write this on a public forum.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 10:54 am
Are you willing to live in a basement, drive an older car, get most of your clothes from nonjewish stores ?

If so, I would say 57k with programs is doable but very very tight. I made 62k with 2 kids in basement and it was hard.

To not be very very tight and live in a basement and drive an older car and shop in non jewish stores... 70k I would say.

To live upstairs in a duplex or townhouse, have two leased cars, buy clothes in Jewish stores.... 150k to have it not be very very hard.

I really feel like people take shopping in Jewish stores as a given and don’t understand how much it affects your budget. If you’re buying 10 outfits for a newborn at $100 each vs $10 each... how does that not matter? If your boys are wearing sweaters for weekday that are $75 vs $10 from gap... it adds up.

I know two families with 5 kids each that live in 2.5 bedroom apartments in older neighborhoods (presidential, regency). Their rent is like $700. They each have one old used car and one spouse often gets rides or takes a taxi in a pinch. Their kids get most of their clothes at serendipity or at stores like children’s place when they have a big sale abs shirts are $3 each. One of them doesn’t even have a cell phone. They never go on vacations , chol hamoed trips are to the park etc. They can make it work on 50k. They’re both very happy families but not everyone can do that.

Chaya123

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:04 am
57k means you're not eligible for programs and most of your monthly income is used for housing, transportation, insurance. By the time you're done, there's barely enough for food. You either need to make much less or much more! It's sad but that's the reality in US.

Genius

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:09 am
57k is the absolute worst income. Nisht tzim arupshlingen nisht oistzeeshpayen.
Not eligible for anything, and there is practically no way to survive on this income.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:21 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
That would only be legal if you were a teacher living in New York, so otherwise maybe you shouldn't write this on a public forum.

Not at all. It is completely legal. I forgot the exact term for it but it’s been discussed here before.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:21 am
Genius wrote:
Not eligible for anything, and there is practically no way to survive on this income.

You’re eligible for a lot in NJ at that. Free healthcare for kids and free daycare

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:35 am
HOW he is:
Rent/mortgage - do you have sec8?
How much are utilities?
Do you have car payments?
Do you have food stamps or wic? How much do you spend on food?
How much is tuition and child care?
How much is your cell phone plan?
How important is it for you to save?
How much is health insurance? Copays?

Honestly I can’t imagine living on 50k.

My mortgage is 24k for 1200 so ft.
My tuition is over 30k. (6 kids)
My health insurance + copays Avgs 12k.
Utilities + cell = 5k.
So before food and clothing I’ve spent over 70 a year.
I’d say you have to net 120 for 3 kids to make it not on programs. And still live frugal.

Chaya123

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:36 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
You’re eligible for a lot in NJ at that. Free healthcare for kids and free daycare

Free healthcare and that's it. Free daycare with CHS depends on amount of kids and what the other spouse is doing. Really not simple.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Tuition is not a pretax expense. Childcare for children under 5 could be covered (at least partially) through a dependent care FSA but definitely not regular tuition.
OP, the main thing isn't to compare yourself to the average person but see what works for you.

Teachers are allowed to have private school tuition paid tax free. Federal law.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:39 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Teachers are allowed to have private school tuition paid tax free. Federal law.

That is not exactly accurate, but OK.

Like I said, only if you are a teacher can you get this tax benefit, so if you are writing this on a public forum you should write this (if this is what you are).

Chaya123

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:40 am
Chaya123 wrote:
Free healthcare and that's it. Free daycare with CHS depends on amount of kids and what the other spouse is doing. Really not simple.

The healthcare isn't completely free either. NJ Family Care starts charging monthly fees once the income is higher and there's co-pay. This is only for the kids. Adults aren't eligible with this income, sometimes even during pregnancy.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:50 am
Chaya123 wrote:

Right she’s not working so they shouldn’t get free daycare. But if both spouses are working or in school they’d make the cutoff.

We pay $25k a year plus about 5k in copays a year. “Just “ free health care would change our lives!

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:51 am
Chaya123 wrote:
The healthcare isn't completely free either. NJ Family Care starts charging monthly fees once the income is higher and there's co-pay. This is only for the kids. Adults aren't eligible with this income, sometimes even during pregnancy.

Their income is 52k or whatever . With three kids they’d be eligible for zero or close to zero premium and copayment.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:54 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
That is not exactly accurate, but OK.

Like I said, only if you are a teacher can you get this tax benefit, so if you are writing this on a public forum you should write this (if this is what you are).

Do you specialize in tax law?

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:59 am
crust wrote:
Ok. I'll bite.

You need 250k to make it with a family if 4+ in the Tristate area.

If you don't need that amount you either don't live in the Trisate area or you don't have/plan to have 4+ kids or your kids are toddlers.

There’s a big difference between Brooklyn and Lakewood costwise.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 11:59 am
Genius wrote:

She said 57k net not gross.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 12:05 pm

OP said it was 57 net not gross. So presumably her gross income is way higher and likely not eligible for programs right?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 12:13 pm
Right she’s not working so they shouldn’t get free daycare. But if both spouses are working or in school they’d make the cutoff.

We pay $25k a year plus about 5k in copays a year. “Just “ free health care would change our lives!

There are programs for free childcare for not working moms. (I don’t know the details but my neighbor has free childcare with transportation and never worked. But they are in a lower income bracket then OP with 6 kids)

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 12:23 pm
I really don’t think anyone can tell you how much you need to be earning. Every family and set of circumstances are different. Think of this:
Some people have parents who help them out with clothing, housing, tuition, small or large gifts or even tuition etc.
some people have children that require extra spending, such as academic help or therapies, or dental work.
Some people think it’s great to shop for clothing and shoes in target or similar places.?Others wouldn’t dream of it. Still others hardly ever buy new clothing at all.
Some people can’t manage without a lot of cleaning help, others have none and manage fine.
Tuition varies greatly, as does camp and day camp.

And a million other variables.
Instead of asking others what they make,
How about you ask yourselves where you can bring in a bit of extra income to put away something? Or what’s the best way to cut some costs so that you can affords a splurge every now and then?
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics