Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Eczema
1  2  Next

Cheshire cat

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:30 pm
This morning, dd8 told me that her stomach area has been itchy for the past few days. She raised her shirt , and I saw three scaly red rashes, that I'm pretty sure is eczema.

I've never dealt with this before. Do I get an otc cream? Which one? Is a dr appt called for?

Please advise!

Thanks

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:35 pm
My daughter has it on her legs. I asked at a checkup and the doctor said to put hydrocortisone on it. As far as whether you need to see your doctor, I guess it depends how much it bothers her? You can always call and ask if she should be seen.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:35 pm
Can it be food allergies?

Cheshire cat

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:37 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Can it be food allergies?

I doubt it. This came out of the blue.

She has never had any issues before- not food nor skin related.

Cheshire cat

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
My daughter has it on her legs. I asked at a checkup and the doctor said to put hydrocortisone on it. As far as whether you need to see your doctor, I guess it depends how much it bothers her? You can always call and ask if she should be seen.

And did the hydrocortisone help?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:38 pm
Ringworm?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:39 pm
Ask your doctor about Eucrisa. It’s better than hydrocortisone.

Rabbit613

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:40 pm
My son had eczma as a baby. The creams helped, however as soon as he stopped taking them the eczma came back. Someone suggested treatment using Bach Flowers. It actually really worked and it's completely natural.

Cheshire cat

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:41 pm
I just called the dr, and he is waiting for me to email a pic in the evening.

But I'm interested in hearing your experiences. This is new to me

Rabbit613

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:59 pm
I don't know much about it. I like natural alternatives. The flower remedy was in the form of a liquid. My son was only a few months old so I drank it and it passed over too him through nursing. After a short time he was completely clear.

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 2:01 pm
I’ve had so many kids with eczema, for us what worked best, even better than cortisone creams was being religious with aquaphore.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 2:51 pm
Have you changed detergent, soaps etc recently? Sometimes a child can be sensitive to washing powder or the soap used in the bath. I only use non bio with my kid's sensitive skin.
I would also try not to jump to steroids (hydrocortisone) if it's not necessary. Moisturize frequently makes a big difference.

Rabbit613, what is this bach flowers? My dd struggles so much with it and I would love to know more about alternatives to the steroids.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 3:20 pm
Eczema doesn't just appear, localized at 8 years old.

Why are you assuming its eczema?

Cheshire cat

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 3:25 pm
While I haven't had personal experience with eczema, a neighbor at a previous address dealt with it, and the rash looks just the same.

But like wrote, I am assuming it's eczema. I will know definitively only once the dr sees the pics I send tonight.

But yeah, it's eczema 🙃

blessedflower

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Eczema doesn't just appear, localized at 8 years old.

Why are you assuming its eczema?
I got eczema from one day to the next when I was 15yo. A few spots on my stomach and arm. I did treat ut with cream the de prescribed. It went away as suddenly as it came. I think it was caused by stress. I got it again since than a few times. But very rarely

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 4:02 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
And did the hydrocortisone help?

Yes, but it does flare up if we don't keep putting it on.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 4:15 pm
Based on your description I would assume either psoriasis or impetigo. Eczema usually starts earlier and in specific spots ie under knee, face etc

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 4:28 pm
Some things which helped my family:

Easier to prevent than treat. (I didn't say this much at all to my child, not create a reverse placebo effect, but a dermatologist said that it's "the itch that rashes" to try to avoid it spreading, again easier to prevent).

In winter dryness, moisturize frequently in eczema prone areas, especially post bathing. Our favorite cream is Cerave.

In summer humidity, try to facilitate dryness, ie cotton clothing.

I'm not so familiar with why the following is supposed to be helpful, but switching to 100% cotton linens, I think it might have something to do with its breathability & not trapping dust & other allergens which can exacerbate eczema. As well as dye/fragrance free detergents.

Some advise removing dairy from diet. (Other holistic things can likely help as a gentle gradual course of action, since the suggestions that have helped us are treating the symptoms.

For placebo effect, can get excited about small improvements, kids can grow out of it G-d willing. My eczema affected child bH has seen it get milder & milder with each passing year where it's thank G-d extremely mild.

Refuah sheleima to all touched by eczema

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 7:51 pm
Please be extremely cautious when using cortisone. In many cases, it seems to cause more harm than good.
Ime, it should be used only as an absolute last resort- and only to prevent infection.
Refuah shleima!

Cheshire cat

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 8:05 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Please be extremely cautious when using cortisone. In many cases, it seems to cause more harm than good.
Ime, it should be used only as an absolute last resort- and only to prevent infection.
Refuah shleima!

Yes, I've heard of this.

Thank you
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics