Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My daughter won't stop talking
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 10:23 pm
mimisinger I didn't tell anyone to shut up.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 11:05 pm
I was pretty sure you hadn't, but I still cringe when I see the words "shut up."

mumoo

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 11:51 pm
encourage her to write. she can write as much as she wants (maybe later work out the main ideas - edit, in a way)

its an outlet, an natural thought organizer and you can help her make the stories into books to read to each other

(btw- I wouldn't correct any grammar/spelling on these efforts)

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 3:55 am
mimisinger, it's an expression, often expressed out of frustration.
Its not an attack on any person, its not name calling, its just a stronger way of saying she won't be quiet.

mumoo that actually sounds like a great idea to try out.
thanks! Smile

Fox

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 12:31 pm
I find it fascinating that posters who typically take a tough stance when issues of chutzpah are raised are remarkably accepting of this situation and, in fact, are willing to admit that their own children have this problem. Frankly, I think the problem is a very, very serious one within our communities and leads to more serious issues later in life. It is most emphatically not cute or acceptable and has far worse long-term consequences than most of the "chutzpah" stories told on this forum.

There is no contradiction between helping a child learn to communicate effectively and showing that child that you value his/her thoughts. Letting a child continue the habit of rambling non-stop is about as good an example of lack of appropriate discipline as I can imagine.

Children must learn that communication involves listening, attending to non-verbal cues, and being considerate of the listener's time. Obviously, this is a learning process that takes time; a 4-year-old will have less control than a 7-year-old, etc. Of course, any learning disabilities or related issues can be a factor, as well.

Unfortunately, our communities are full of people -- far too often women --who have an opinion on everything, don't work to modulate their voices or tone, and simply can't keep their mouths closed. Their skirts and sleeves may be long enough, but they serve as frightening examples of lack of tznius.

To the OP: Try explaining some of the dynamics of communication and help her learn how to control herself. One way is to set limits on your own listening time. It's perfectly appropriate to say, "I really want to hear all about your day. Let's talk for the next fifteen minutes, and then I have some things to do. If you forget to tell me something, we'll talk again in 30 minutes." Obviously, this is a little artificial, but it will force her to organize her thoughts. Hopefully, over time, she'll become more skilled at doing this on her own.

Some other ideas: Require all children to practice divrei Torah for the Shabbos table. No reading or rambling allowed. This sends the message that the communicator bears some responsibility for not wasting the family's time. Insist that children learn to summarize and ask questions that help them do so, such as, "Tell me about the funniest thing that happened in school today."

Bottom line: we wouldn't stand idle if one of our children were a habitual thief. However, "stealing" someone's time because you never learned the "rules of the road" for communication is a more serious aveira and can cause repercussions in your marriage, job, family, and community.

Crayon210

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 1:00 pm
I edited the title; if there are any issues, PM me or e-mail me at crayon2100@yahoo.com

justanothermother

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 1:30 pm
Thank you crayon.

I have a new avatar for you.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics