Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Going out to eat with allergic dd

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:40 pm
My daughter is allergic to dairy. She keeps asking me to take her out for breakfast on sundays. I would love to but I’m having a hard time coming up with a place that will have sufficient “fun” non dairy food that would maker her happy... any ideas? She can be at a table where others are eating dairy but she can’t eat any dairy. Eggs etc many time are made in griddles that are smeared with butter .... Looking for a trustworthy place that would be accommodating...
We live in Lakewood
Ty

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:41 pm
I think there’s a vegan place on route 9

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:56 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I think there’s a vegan place on route 9

Ty but she s a little kid and wants fun food like waffles etc

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:19 pm
Higher quality restaurants should be able to tell you what can be made dairy free and clean things properly before making your food to order.

Or is there a fun fleshig place with good options?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:28 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Higher quality restaurants should be able to tell you what can be made dairy free and clean things properly before making your food to order.

Or is there a fun fleshig place with good options?

Thx, we usually do fleishigs and she wants to do breakfast..

Any ideas which places would be accommodating as such? I know the places in town just looking for allergic family members experience as far as who was accommodating to specific dietary needs

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:43 pm
I don’t live in nj but I wanted to send you hugs and a high five for being such an awesome mom! Allergies suck!

As I’m typing this I’m thinking if perhaps you can pack her a super fun picnic and go eat it somewhere just you and her. It’s getting cold so you’ll have to be creative with the location but I’m sure you can come up with something.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:45 pm
The cinnamon buns in that corner place are pareve

Reality

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:45 pm
OP, do you know for a fact that the vegan place doesn't have fun food or you are assuming? Because online there are a lot of fun vegan recipes. I'd assume a vegan restaurant would have some of those dishes too.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:46 pm
Reality wrote:
OP, do you know for a fact that the vegan place doesn't have fun food or you are assuming? Because online there are a lot of fun vegan recipes. I'd assume a vegan restaurant would have some of those dishes too.

They don’t

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 8:03 pm
I don’t eat dairy not allergic but not good with my colitis. I’m an adult so would go to a place like Kava and get a coffee with almond milk and have bagel with tuna.

You would probably should go more for a brunch so can do salads, sushi that type.

Fish and grill is great it’s all parve. You can see their menu online.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 8:05 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I don’t live in nj but I wanted to send you hugs and a high five for being such an awesome mom! Allergies suck!

As I’m typing this I’m thinking if perhaps you can pack her a super fun picnic and go eat it somewhere just you and her. It’s getting cold so you’ll have to be creative with the location but I’m sure you can come up with something.

Ty! I have a few kids in this boat.. but this one specifically really wants to go out for breakfast . I ve done the picnic. Fancy breakfasts at home . Lots of baking etc. but this is something g she just keeps asking for. Prob cuz her friends do. I try really hard for allergies not to get in her way.. so want to make this work.

Cookie corned is a nice idea, but she wants food 😉

bnm

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 8:38 pm
NO WHERE. I am an adult and havn't found a dairy place yet that didn't mess up my allergies in Lakewood. Maybe Cookie Corner. I don't think they have parve waffles but they can make her eggs and avacado toast and she can have a parve croisant or cinnamon bun. 4 Corners has parve doughnuts and danishes, not waffles. There are places in Manhattan that do a fleishig Brunch. Its the only option I have found.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:21 pm
Going out to eat with an allergic kiddo is hard. I don’t usually pity my DS - but when we got out to eat it’s really tricky.
(Not in Lakewood so can’t help with suggestions)

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:47 pm
Ty everyone! She may just have to settle for a fleishig lunch lol. I’m sure it will get harder as she gets older and her friends go out etc...

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:50 pm
There is no such thing as a milk allergy safe dairy restaurant.
As a person with a dairy allergy myself, I have found restaurants extremely unhelpful when I disclose a dairy allergy. They're answer is almost always "go to a meat restaurant" Confused
The less than a handful of times I've trusted restaurants ended badly. Luckily never in the emergency room but full dose of benadryl badly... (examples: fish cooked on a griddle that had butter on it, cream in mashed potatoes when I verified a dozen times that food was dairy free, bagel cut with a knife that had butter or cheese on it)

Le Marais in Manhattan does a pretty awesome "sunday brunch" and they're a meat restaurant.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty everyone! She may just have to settle for a fleishig lunch lol. I’m sure it will get harder as she gets older and her friends go out etc...

Or a sushi lunch! If she doesn’t like fish there are many other options available but the fried salmon ones seem to be good even for people who don’t love fish

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:02 pm
Or a sushi lunch! If she doesn’t like fish there are many other options available but the fried salmon ones seem to be good even for people who don’t love fish

Be VERY careful about sushi in dairy restaurants especially pizza places.
a) some places use the same fryer for cheese stuff and sushi tempura
b) some use cream cheese in an "alaska" roll and that will contaminate the knives etc...

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:04 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Be VERY careful about sushi in dairy restaurants especially pizza places.
a) some places use the same fryer for cheese stuff and sushi tempura
b) some use cream cheese in an "alaska" roll and that will contaminate the knives etc...

Obviously. I meant in a kosher sushi restaurant. They don’t use any dairy products, at least not where I live. Any roll with cream cheese in it uses parve cream cheese.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:07 pm
Obviously. I meant in a kosher sushi restaurant. They don’t use any dairy products, at least not where I live. Any roll with cream cheese in it uses parve cream cheese.

I mean Kosher sushi places of course
Check. Trust me
One of the local KOSHER pizza places uses the same fryer for cheesy things and sushi rolls. And yes, they use real cream cheese
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics