Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do your kids kiss your face or your hands?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:16 pm
Or something else?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:17 pm
Face.
The only time they do the hand is after my husband bentches them Friday night.

behappy2

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:18 pm
None. I kiss them. Everywhere!. They don't kiss me.

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:18 pm
They kiss my hands, I kiss their face.
Don’t ask me why. Saw this by my mom and I assume she saw this by hers.

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:19 pm
You might want to move this to the chassidish forum.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you...

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:21 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

Can we leave it here? I’d love to see all answers.

behappy2

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:24 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

Is this a Chassidish thing? Please explain. Also why are kids kissing parents? My 4 year old will hug me and every once in a while to get back at me she gives me a wet kiss Smile in this house the love usually only goes one way. Smile

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:59 pm
What a weird question. I’m satmar and my kids kiss me all over, if they want to. We often do kissing attacks.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:06 pm
They kiss whatever they want. Usually my face because I kiss their face. We don't kiss on the lips though.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:08 pm
I’m litvish and one of my boys specifically kisses my hand after I bench him Friday night because he heard somewhere that you’re supposed to do that (and I don’t object, I think it’s sweet), but otherwise my kids don’t really kiss me much but if/when they do it’s usually on my cheek

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:11 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I’m litvish and one of my boys specifically kisses my hand after I bench him Friday night because he heard somewhere that you’re supposed to do that (and I don’t object, I think it’s sweet), but otherwise my kids don’t really kiss me much but if/when they do it’s usually on my cheek

Oh so perhaps there is a source to kids kissing on the hand?
To the poster above who asked, my kids kiss me after licht benching.

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:11 pm
On the face. The cutest is my 2 year old who spontaneously gives me a kiss on my face and says I love you mommy 💕

Wife1

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:13 pm
Face 🙂

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:16 pm
Chassidish here. Never saw hand kissing as child. Wasn't a lot of kissing after toddlerhood, but whenever there was, it was on the cheek. Dh has hungarian and some sefardi background and he up with a lot of hand kissing as a sign of warm respect. There was lots of regular kissing too.
My father like to poke fun at hungarians hands kissing, so dh thought it would be funny to train the kids to kiss his hand. LOL He did get a kick or of it, and always made sure to kiss them on the cheek after. So my kids do it mostly as a joke. Regular/cheek kissing, both from parents and kids, is encouraged.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:29 pm
My kids kiss my face. My 5 yo daughter has this strange ritual where she insists on kissing one cheek, the other, then my lips every night when I kiss her good night.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:46 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Chassidish here. Never saw hand kissing as child. Wasn't a lot of kissing after toddlerhood, but whenever there was, it was on the cheek. Dh has hungarian and some sefardi background and he up with a lot of hand kissing as a sign of warm respect. There was lots of regular kissing too.
My father like to poke fun at hungarians hands kissing, so dh thought it would be funny to train the kids to kiss his hand. LOL He did get a kick or of it, and always made sure to kiss them on the cheek after. So my kids do it mostly as a joke. Regular/cheek kissing, both from parents and kids, is encouraged.

Not Chasidish, but DH is Hungarian. Or Romanian, depending on where the border was that day. From near Satu Mare. And never heard of hand kissing.

To life

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:47 pm
Yes both.
We are sephardic and it is a minhag brought down that after Kurdish the kids should kiss parents hand and parents should bless them.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:50 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Oh so perhaps there is a source to kids kissing on the hand?
To the poster above who asked, my kids kiss me after licht benching.

There is a source (I remember DS telling me about it when he started), but I believe it’s specifically about the mother’s hand and bentching Friday night... I’ll ask DS next time we speak (he dorms).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:00 am
The only hand kissing around here is when my FIL bentches the kids. He extends a hand, and they kiss it. Smile

Scotty

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:15 am
Historically hands were a kissing point for a lot of things (but don’t quote me I can’t give any sources it’s just this vague recollection) - certainly kissing the ring of royalty (of state) and also of parents or grandparents as a sign of love/respect. Would love to research if this is a custom rooted in Jewish culture or elsewhere and the origins of such a behavior. It seems to be - ans again this is not backed by anything but gut memory - that this was more of a culturally accepted thing was done by many cultures, ie not specifically a Jewish custom.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics