Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do your kids kiss your face or your hands?
Previous  1  2

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:21 am
Wasn't hand kissing done to priests? Pretty sure the pope gets his hand or at least his ring, kissed.

Definitely something popularized in the age of chivalry (for noble ladies).

miami85

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:21 am
I have two kids that give really good kisses on the cheek. My almost-10 year old still loves to give me hugs. I'll take it while I can. Never heard about kissing the hands, but I grew up in a litvishe household

losingweight

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 1:23 am
boys do more hand kissing. Girls face kissing. When I kiss the boys on the cheek, they cringe! Too bad though.

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 1:29 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
You might want to move this to the chassidish forum.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you...

Why? Not only chassidim do this.

I'm not makpid about my kids kissing me on my hand. I grew up in a household where you kissed the cheek, if at all. DH has them kiss our hands after we give them brachot Friday night.

Actually - my kids have recently started giving me brachot.'LOL DS puts a hand on my head and starts declaring compliments and good wishes for my life. hey, you can never have too many brachot!

silverlining3

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 1:35 am
Kisses all the time, all over. They're still young though.
After candle lighting I give them my hand to kiss, somehow I find it fine-royal?! Not sure what, lol but I like it. Sometimes my dtr will cover her face as well and after me giving my hand she gives me hers to kiss... Just love it! Heart

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 2:00 am
Hand-kissing is something tend to I associate with popes, French diplomats, and period films, rather than my Shabbat table.

But it sounds like a nice tradition.

Our kids mostly kiss us on the cheek.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:45 am
Rappel wrote:

Actually - my kids have recently started giving me brachot.'LOL DS puts a hand on my head and starts declaring compliments and good wishes for my life. hey, you can never have too many brachot!

This is the sweetest thing EVER! Heart

Among the Sephardim I know, hand kissing is done with elders, and a couple of very senior rabbis who are well respected in the community. I think it's a very nice tradition.

DVOM

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 5:10 am
I've never heard of hand kissing. So interesting!

My grandfather and father both gave Friday night brachot by putting both hands on our heads. When the bracha was done, they would slide their hands down to both cheeks, make eye contact, smile, often say 'I love you' or something similarly loving, and give a kiss on my forehead. I doubt this is any sort of official minhag, just something they did.

freilich

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:54 am
Rappel wrote:
Why? Not only chassidim do this.

I'm not makpid about my kids kissing me on my hand. I grew up in a household where you kissed the cheek, if at all. DH has them kiss our hands after we give them brachot Friday night.

Hey! That kid sounds adorable. Glad you kept him after all....

For those who don't get it, I don't know how to link old threads. Rappel was pretty much lost about his antics, so that was the selling point.

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:14 am
freilich wrote:
Hey! That kid sounds adorable. Glad you kept him after all....

For those who don't get it, I don't know how to link old threads. Rappel was pretty much lost about his antics, so that was the selling point.

Lol, you remember! He's definitely more mellow now, and too cute to sell.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics