Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Best careers for frum women
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 10:44 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Law gets a bad rep because people tend to think of biglaw as the only career path where you work a million hours and make a lot of money. But if you go in with the intention of finding a more "lifestyle" career it can be a good one. For example the NJ Attorney General's Office has a starting salary of almost $90k plus you get all the benefits of government work-good hours, great benefits, 6 weeks off.

I specifically only wanted a career where I had the option to do it remotely. I didn't want to have to deal with scheduling around my kids school plays etc. I don't work for the AG, but seriously considered it. I ended up with a firm job that's super flexible. I work a decent amount of hours but my firm doesn't care when I do it as long as it gets done. I can come and go as I please so if my kid has an appt or needs to be picked up I can just do it without anyone breathing down my neck. Obviously it's not comparable to a teacher's hours but its more flexible.

That being said, I think a PA is the ideal career for a frum woman if her interests align.

Came here to post about law. If you have a college degree, law school is 3 years. I don't think you need to have a particular undergraduate major.

If you work for yourself as a solo, you have maximum flexibility. True, you won't make the same money if you're not working full time hours, but the hourly pay isn't bad.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 8:28 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I wasn’t talking about teaching.

I'm currently in academia and I agree with this. Academic jobs that aren't teaching are a safe choice - administrative support and the like (Assistant to the Vice Dean for Off Campus Parking!). In general, you won't get rich off the pay, but the benefits and time off are very good, and many jobs don't require more than a BA.

Many people went back to school during the last US recession in 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:42 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Yes.... However, you must enjoy the work and have the skills for it. I see way too many young women try this field because the schooling is short (think 9 month part time bootcamp) and it seems like a perfect opportunity for a frum woman with the decent pay and the flexible hours.
A few downsides:
The first job can be very difficult to get, yet after you have experience it's usually easier to get hired.
Most non frum companies require full time employment and the frum ones that allow part time don't pay nearly as well.
It is relatively easy if you enjoy it, but it's torture if you don't! Especially since you need to keep learning in this field so as not to get outdated, it's gotta be interesting for you to make it worthwhile.

This is all based on my limited experience experience , feel free to argue with me if you believe it's different

Agree with all this. My future SIL is a software developer and seems to enjoy it. She got her bachelor's through Touro, then got an internship while in her senior year, then got hired by the company where she did her internship. Coming out of a bootcamp is much harder; DH is struggling to find a job.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:57 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
If you work for yourself as a solo, you have maximum flexibility. True, you won't make the same money if you're not working full time hours, but the hourly pay isn't bad.

This really depends on your practice area and also on whether you need a reliable income on which you can depend to pay your bills. Practicing solo doesn't guarantee that you will be able to control your workflow or fit it into certain hours that you prefer. Also, people don't usually start out practicing solo straight from law school.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 12:33 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I wasn’t talking about teaching.

In that case, maybe. Administration can be very interesting work. Though I think a lot of universities are tightening their belts now, so you're not necessarily looking at great job security.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 12:44 pm
eli321 wrote:
Coding is a very good job, u get paid well and flexible hours

It's also a field where you can't stop working to spend a few years at home with your kids. The field is always changing and evolving, and you need to keep your skill set sharp. If you drop out for 2-3 years, it's hard to come back.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:06 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
This really depends on your practice area and also on whether you need a reliable income on which you can depend to pay your bills. Practicing solo doesn't guarantee that you will be able to control your workflow or fit it into certain hours that you prefer. Also, people don't usually start out practicing solo straight from law school.

OP was asking about possibilities, nothing has guarantees. Many people don't even consider law as an option because they assume the hours and work life balance are bad. I wanted to put out there that that's not always true.

I agree with your last point, it's probably a good idea to start out working for another solo or small firm for a year and/or have a good mentor.

Tzips5

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 1:27 pm
I love dentistry. I know it's not for everyone and the schooling is long (but not nearly as bad as med school) but once you get out schedule is very flexible and no take -home work (if you're an associate). Hygiene is also a great field, with shorter schooling and very respectable pay.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 3:05 pm
1)

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 3:07 pm
I vote PA, NP or law.

However like with any job - give it time and you’ll be making similar to the aforementioned ones. The difference is that those 3 start out at higher pay,

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 3:12 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
It’s so depressing. You don’t have to love your job, but you have to have SOME sort of fulfillment. A tiny bit of joy. I’m too scared to go back to school because I’m scared of burnout again. So now I sit home and clean my house on days when I’m not depressed.
Today I have a very exciting activity. I get to get dressed and put on a sheitel, go to the ups store, and drop off a Zara return. This is my life now. A 4.0 student who lets her brain rot.

Amen sister.

1) Do what you enjoy, not necessarily love. If not enjoy, at least tolerate.
2) don’t assume schooling equals more pay.

Trust me on these points. I am a stay at parent with an MD/MBA, that chose not to continue after graduation.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 12:48 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Amen sister.

1) Do what you enjoy, not necessarily love. If not enjoy, at least tolerate.
2) don’t assume schooling equals more pay.

Trust me on these points. I am a stay at parent with an MD/MBA, that chose not to continue after graduation.
What made you stop after medical school graduation? You didn't like it?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 7:40 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
What made you stop after medical school graduation? You didn't like it?

Hated medicine.

Should’ve done something else right away, but then baby came and thought to wait 1 yr before changing careers. Of course, then ...... well you know the rest.

And now it’s 15 yrs and 4 kids later and am at home raising them. And miserable for wasting my talents.

My DH is makes a decent income (not for frum families) and is happy what we have and what I’ve done. Let me say that he’s always was supportive of me during med school years. Feels that whatever is meant to be will be.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 8:19 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Agree with all this. My future SIL is a software developer and seems to enjoy it. She got her bachelor's through Touro, then got an internship while in her senior year, then got hired by the company where she did her internship. Coming out of a bootcamp is much harder; DH is struggling to find a job.

Do you mind sharing which company? My dd is looking for an internship now, she is a Senior in Touro majoring in computers.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 9:16 am
Some fields let you go back after kids. I am an attorney. I took off quite a few years when kids were young, returned to work in a different industry by choice, with the backing of my law degree. I considered multiple offers to return to work in law, but decided against it. As my kids grew, I found a match between my degree and what I enjoyed. Over the past 10 years, I have created a niche in law that would let me open my own consulting firm when my kids are all grown and I have more focus to spare. My story is not unique to law: today an accounting degree can do the same.

If you keep up with your license, you can get a job when you don't have such tiny kids. It could be a 5-10 year period of piece work, or part time and then you can go back/ open a practice or business.

For women considering a career today, please consider the impact of COVID plus the automation and computerization of many fields of work. The working world has changed and will continue to do so even when business is "up and running" again. Not every job that is work from home will be located where it is now. Low to mid level programming, radiology (reading x rays), law, accounting, etc. are being "moved" to lower cost regions of the US, and overseas. At best, their are being consolidated and much of the job is being farmed out to lower skilled workers, supervised by a higher skilled person. This is going on right now even in fields like architecture, OT and nursing.

Consider the upcoming economic stagnation. It is an opportunity for growth and making good money, but only if you think past the current job market. NYC is in decline (most of our friends who work in the corporate world now work at home and their companies have dropped their leases), how many public sector services funded by the city's coffers will be cut? How many firms will be consolidating, automating and moving off-site and off-shore. You can be in your home office in Idaho. There are imas on line whose job it is to calculate these decisions for companies and that's what they are doing right now.

amother
White

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 10:01 am
I trained as a programmer and today I work for a frum company and I am the one stop shop for anything software, data and coding related. I earn about 80k a year. My hours are flexible but long. When my kids grow up I will be able to take a less flexible job and earn more if I decide its something I want to do.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 8:51 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Some fields let you go back after kids. I am an attorney. I took off quite a few years when kids were young, returned to work in a different industry by choice, with the backing of my law degree. I considered multiple offers to return to work in law, but decided against it. As my kids grew, I found a match between my degree and what I enjoyed. Over the past 10 years, I have created a niche in law that would let me open my own consulting firm when my kids are all grown and I have more focus to spare. My story is not unique to law: today an accounting degree can do the same.

If you keep up with your license, you can get a job when you don't have such tiny kids. It could be a 5-10 year period of piece work, or part time and then you can go back/ open a practice or business.

For women considering a career today, please consider the impact of COVID plus the automation and computerization of many fields of work. The working world has changed and will continue to do so even when business is "up and running" again. Not every job that is work from home will be located where it is now. Low to mid level programming, radiology (reading x rays), law, accounting, etc. are being "moved" to lower cost regions of the US, and overseas. At best, their are being consolidated and much of the job is being farmed out to lower skilled workers, supervised by a higher skilled person. This is going on right now even in fields like architecture, OT and nursing.

Consider the upcoming economic stagnation. It is an opportunity for growth and making good money, but only if you think past the current job market. NYC is in decline (most of our friends who work in the corporate world now work at home and their companies have dropped their leases), how many public sector services funded by the city's coffers will be cut? How many firms will be consolidating, automating and moving off-site and off-shore. You can be in your home office in Idaho. There are imas on line whose job it is to calculate these decisions for companies and that's what they are doing right now.
which area in law do you work in now?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics