Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Where did you buy your couch/sofa?
1  2  Next

where did you buy your couch?
Jewish furniture store  
 55%  [ 48 ]
Department store  
 9%  [ 8 ]
Non-Jewish furniture store  
 34%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 86

momof2+?

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:12 pm
I imagine the non-jewish stores will be having sales now and would love to take advantage of them. How do I know which couches are going to last and arent cheaply made? I could be wrong, but I think that the jewish stores only carry the well made furniture. (Hence, there are no low prices either...)

gande

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:26 am
I looked around for both (went to about 10 stores) and found local you get better value. for example in non-jewish furniture store you can get a faux leather sofa for $700 which will last about 5 years pealing bit by bit or you can get for $1200-1800 price range a genuine leather sofa that can last and look beautiful for 15 years.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:30 am
I voted "Jewish furniture store." I bought it in Israel at a store run by a kibbutz. They manufacture the furniture too.

Mothers

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:37 am
gande wrote:
I looked around for both (went to about 10 stores) and found local you get better value. for example in non-jewish furniture store you can get a faux leather sofa for $700 which will last about 5 years pealing bit by bit or you can get for $1200-1800 price range a genuine leather sofa that can last and look beautiful for 15 years.

We’re on our second set of leather couches - both brand name and both bought at frum furniture stores - and both peeled badly within 5 years. Neither was cheap. We do not have small children, and we are not hard on our furniture. After these, I’m done with leather!

sweetdimples

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:51 am
I bought mine at Dina's by Living Quarters in Lakewood. worth every penny!

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:53 am
DrMom wrote:
I voted "Jewish furniture store." I bought it in Israel at a store run by a kibbutz. They manufacture the furniture too.

Where? Lavi only makes furniture for batei knesset, no?

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:59 am
Mothers wrote:
We’re on our second set of leather couches - both brand name and both bought at frum furniture stores - and both peeled badly within 5 years. Neither was cheap. We do not have small children, and we are not hard on our furniture. After these, I’m done with leather!

That’s interesting... we have a leather set (couch and love seat) for 10 years. It is just starting to show some wear and tear but it’s really not bad (yet). We have young children. I’m wondering if yours wasn’t really genuine leather even though they told you it was. I think a couch should last more than 5 years.

NotLazySusan

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 1:14 am
Light color leather couch at Raymour and Flanagan Outlet 10 years ago, still looks almost new. And have children at home. Highly recommend!

Mothers

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 1:47 am
lkwdlady wrote:
That’s interesting... we have a leather set (couch and love seat) for 10 years. It is just starting to show some wear and tear but it’s really not bad (yet). We have young children. I’m wondering if yours wasn’t really genuine leather even though they told you it was. I think a couch should last more than 5 years.

One was Lane and one is Lazy Boy. They cost in excess of $2,000 each set. We spent the money, because we were assured they were good quality and would last. I’m done with leather

silverlining3

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 2:02 am
Bobs furniture has a 5 year warrantee, if damages were done by kids.
My sisters little child grabbed a knife and stabbed the couch. It was still in the 4th year, they sent her a replacement.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 2:13 am
Rappel wrote:
Where? Lavi only makes furniture for batei knesset, no?

Yes, I think they specialize in shul furniture.

But there are lots of kibbutzim that manufacture regular household furniture. We bought from here at a showroom in the Mercaz
https://www.3furniture.com/.

There are other kibbutz furniture manufacturers. A lot for childrens' furniture, fewer for sofas.

I know Kibbutz Shomrat has several stores (not sure if they manufacture furniture or just rent space to retail outlets):

https://www.shw.co.il/?gclid=C.....w_wcB

Last edited by DrMom on Sun, Nov 22 2020, 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total

gande

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 2:14 am
Mothers wrote:
One was Lane and one is Lazy Boy. They cost in excess of $2,000 each set. We spent the money, because we were assured they were good quality and would last. I’m done with leather
I saw a lot of Canadian sofas in the Jewish stores I think those are better than American companies. I personally got a Chinese leather one that Jewish company produced themselves the leather is so thick I cant see it ever peeling.

mom2mysouls

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 2:17 am
Craigslist or FB marketplace...
Natuzzi is a good brand.

Real leather should not be washed with soap and water, which strips the natural oils, leading to fading/cracking. Rather use an oil based cleaner like Murphy or a special leather cleaner. Spot treat only

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:34 am
I know this won't be the popular vote but we bought our Ikea Ektorp sofa bed nearly fifteen years ago and it's still going strong. We've since bought a new cover because my kids are not easy on that thing, but the couch itself is as sturdy and comfy as ever.

teachkids

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:54 am
Where’s the option for hand me down?

alef12

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:08 am
Costco

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:12 am
Mothers wrote:

We had the same. Then went with La-Z-Boy a few years ago. The difference is astounding. We searched for the closest La-Z-Boy seller, which happened to be a Jewish store 30 minutes away.

boogiebabe

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:12 am
alef12 wrote:
Costco

How did it last? Was this leather?

climbing613

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:44 am
silverlining3 wrote:
Bobs furniture has a 5 year warrantee, if damages were done by kids.
My sisters little child grabbed a knife and stabbed the couch. It was still in the 4th year, they sent her a replacement.

This happened to us and they refused to honor the warranty that we paid extra for. The leather peeled at approximately 3 years. I couldn't afford a new one at the time, so I had to put a cover on top. The couch is really comfortable, but the leather and the warranty are garbage
We also bought a table and chairs there. A chair broke a year later and they sent a replacement for the broken part rather than replacing the whole thing even though the whole back broke off. It took FOUR months to come.
Needless to say, I DO NOT recommend.

Mermaidinexile

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:51 am
Beam Brooklyn. Love it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars