Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
2.5 year old wakes everyone up every morning at 5 am!!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:45 am
Help! My toddler climbs out of his crib into my room every morning at 5 am sometimes earlier. If I close the door to his room he screams. He has too much energy bh. I'm exhausted. We've tried being firm with him. Wwyd??

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:53 am
Stoplight Sleep Enhancing Alarm Clock for Kids, Red and Blue Sports Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002.....psc=1

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:54 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Stoplight Sleep Enhancing Alarm Clock for Kids, Red and Blue Sports Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002.....psc=1

I have that already. He's not the type of kid to follow directions. He doesn't really care..

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:53 am
First of all, if he’s climbing out, it may be safer to have him in a bed. Put a baby gate on his bedroom door so he has to stay inside but doesn’t feel as lonely.

anonymous55

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:11 am
Put him to sleep later?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:16 am
Be consistent. Keep putting him back in bed. It will take a few days, maybe even a few weeks, but he needs to know that you MEAN it, and that no amount of tantrums will make you cave in.

Nobody ever died from having to spend an extra hour playing in their room.

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:22 am
Is there any consequence for this behavior? If he's rewarded with you waking up and beginning your day, the behavior isn't going to stop.

Success10

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:38 am
What is wrong with some of the answers here? It is very typical toddler behavior to wake up disturbingly early. Google it. Some little ones are wired that way. You can not punish them into staying in bed longer!! You just need to put up with it for a bit, and they do get older. You can work out a system with your husband to switch off. Some tots will play nicely in your bed for a bit and let you snooze. It's really not fun, but they are not doing it on purpose. They are up for the day and that's it.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:59 pm
First you need to examine your expectations, many toddlers are super early risers (like mine) and most toddlers won’t sleep as late as older kids and adults. 6 am is a normal wake time for 2/3/4 year olds.

I did a combination or a green light clock and putting my kid back in bed. I slept in their room while “training” them to stay in bed until 6. I adjust the training clock to turn green a few minutes later every couple of days. So the first day it turned green at usual wake up time and I let kid go play. Then it turned green ten minutes later, but when I heard kid waking up I said “the clock is not green, it is still sleepy time, stay in bed”

Takes a few weeks, but is worth it. BH now my youngest won’t get out of bed before 6:15 without my intervention.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:07 pm
Just think in a few years you’ll be complaining my teen doesnt want to get out of bed😂

Stars

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:23 pm
Success10 wrote:
What is wrong with some of the answers here? It is very typical toddler behavior to wake up disturbingly early. Google it. Some little ones are wired that way. You can not punish them into staying in bed longer!! You just need to put up with it for a bit, and they do get older. You can work out a system with your husband to switch off. Some tots will play nicely in your bed for a bit and let you snooze. It's really not fun, but they are not doing it on purpose. They are up for the day and that's it.

I agree. My oldest used to do this and as much as it drove me crazy, when he got up he got up and I got up with him. I was a zombie for a few years but I wouldn’t keep him in bed once he was done sleeping. My second one enjoys laying in bed for an hour or two after he wakes up.
Work with what kind of kid you’ve got!

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:25 pm
What time does he go to sleep at night? Does he nap during the day?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 5:59 pm
My kids did this. I kept some toys in my room and they played on our floor while we 'slept' a bit longer. I also prepared water and a bag of crackers /cereal so they weren't hungry. It's actually pretty normal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics