Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
ISO Fun, easy way for kids to decorate cookies

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:13 am
I'd like to bake Chanukah shaped sugar cookies for Chanukah and have my children decorate them. What's an easy and fun way for them to decorate? We tried with edible marker but it didn't work well last year. I am looking for something that's not labor intensive or time consuming- just easy easy easy and colorful and fun! Thanks!
Also- I'm embarrassed to be asking this under my screen name because it seems like such a basic question- but at what point in the process would they put sprinkles on the cookies? Before baking? After?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:17 am
allthingsblue wrote:
I'd like to bake Chanukah shaped sugar cookies for Chanukah and have my children decorate them. What's an easy and fun way for them to decorate? We tried with edible marker but it didn't work well last year. I am looking for something that's not labor intensive or time consuming- just easy easy easy and colorful and fun! Thanks!
Also- I'm embarrassed to be asking this under my screen name because it seems like such a basic question- but at what point in the process would they put sprinkles on the cookies? Before baking? After?

Bake the cookies first. Then decorate.
If you want super easy, buy a couple of colors of pre-made stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1
Sprinkles go on to the wet icing, after it's been spread over the baked cookie.

sky

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:17 am
Eggs yolks with food coloring and clean paintbrushes. Paint before baking.
I learned this from one of my kids morahs

Sprinkles depends. If icing after baking. If not icing. We’ll decorate with sprinkles and chic chips before baking.

Siriusly?

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:37 am
Fondant is very easy - buy a few ready-coloured packs, let them roll and cut like play-doh. You can use the same cookie cutter as for the cookies to get a piece that covers the cookie, then add further decorations on top.

mommyla

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:51 am
I decorate with sprinkles and colored sugar before baking. Always works out great!

baby12x

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:55 am
sky wrote:
Eggs yolks with food coloring and clean paintbrushes. Paint before baking.
I learned this from one of my kids morahs

Sprinkles depends. If icing after baking. If not icing. We’ll decorate with sprinkles and chic chips before baking.

I was going to write this!
Its the easiest way

https://www.thepioneerwoman.co.....yond/

Use the glaze from this recipe

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 10:03 am
Colored frosting with sprinkles - applied after cookies are cool.

If you want to go very fancy, you can mail order sanding sugar or metallic type of cookie decoration.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 10:34 am
My kids decorate it with colored sprinkles, chocolate chips, colored chocolate chips..... before baking. Keeps them busy for a while.

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:27 am
If you want to go fancy there's stained glass with baked hard candy.

Or hideout like Linzer tarts. You do a big dreidel cookie then cut out a small dreidel shape in center. You lay it over a full dreidel cookie & stuff center with whatever you want.
Marshmallows, sprinkles, non pareils, choco chips, candy chips, chocolate cream etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins