Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O careers that earn 250k+
Previous  1  2  3

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 5:29 am
head of a big criminal organization, coke trades, weapons and so on.... I think that will be my new career...

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 5:30 am
executives in non profit organizations.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 5:33 am
cnc wrote:
It's impossible because no therapist can have a 40 hour week consisting of only private pay clients. They either work in a clinic (at 50-60$ a session) in addition to their private practice, teach in graduate programs or hold salaried positions in organizations or clinics.

Certainly not impossible. I know a few personally who charge 200-250 for 45 min and work full time. And if someone is charging that much they don’t need 40 clients to make 250.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 5:59 am
My therapist charges 250 an hour and sees 4 people a day 5 days a week.

That's approximately 200k for a 20 hour work week.

I agree that most therapists don't have this schedule and money for the first ten or twenty years. If you have a good reputation you can get there.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:55 am
Principal/administrator of an MO day school
Dentist
compliance officer for a financial firm

but generally people who own their own businesses or bring in sales to their companies.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:19 am
Programmer here, I've made around 250K for the past few years, 10 years into my career. They key is to work for the big companies, all of which have large offices outside of silicone valley. Financial institutions like Bloomberg and Morgan Stanley are also in that range I think.
Going to a good school helps to get in to these places, but you can get around it with strong experience, and extensive interview prep.
It's also good to know someone there who can pass on your resume and give you more details about the application process.
Open source contributions are another thing that help give you programmer "cred". That's something you do in your spare time, for free, so not everyone has time for that.
There's no one technology or language that is important, most programmers work with several, and good programmers don't limit themselves to what they know. They're always learning new things and improving their skills.
Programming in these places is almost always a full time job - 9ish hours a day - so you need a supportive spouse, and some supplemental childcare. But most won't have you regularly working 50+ hours a week. You can if you want, and some do (and they're usually very good and are recognized for their efforts), but it's seen as a recipe for burn out and not actively encouraged as a long term strategy.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:24 am
cnc wrote:
It's impossible because no therapist can have a 40 hour week consisting of only private pay clients. They either work in a clinic (at 50-60$ a session) in addition to their private practice, teach in graduate programs or hold salaried positions in organizations or clinics.

My son saw a therapist for years who has a full full schedule and used to charge $95 an hour. I am pretty sure he charges more like $125 an hour now. Works fully for himself. Whenever we had to reschedule he was booked solid and it was a huge pain. Maybe this depends on where you live?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:53 am

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:01 pm
delete
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics