Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Give lawyer authorization to endorse check on our behalf?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:52 pm
If you barely know a lawyer, and she requests authorization to endorse check that is made out to both lawyers name and your name, would you? in lieu of meeting in person because of covid? Or do you have to be careful about this?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:15 pm
anyone know?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you barely know a lawyer, and she requests authorization to endorse check that is made out to both lawyers name and your name, would you? in lieu of meeting in person because of covid? Or do you have to be careful about this?

Do you have to sign a power of attorney for this? Don't do it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:33 pm
I really don’t know but it sounds a little risky. I hope you can get advice!

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:57 pm
How did you find this attorney? Are the licensed and do they have an actual practice you can verify?

In general it is safe for attorneys to handle money on behalf of their clients because they owe a fiduciary duty and attorneys are legally required to have a separate bank account for funds payable to clients.

It is standard practice for settlements to be paid to the attorney and for the attorney to then pay the client what is owed after deducting amounts owed to the attorney.

You should of course have some kind of paper trail including a document signed by the attorney stating that X amount is to be paid to you no later than a certain date.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:11 pm
If it wasn’t covid and you were going into their office to endorse the check, where would it be deposited?

If it would be deposited into the lawyers escrow anyway, the only thing different here is you not signing the physical check.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:27 pm
So the check is made to both our names, then she deposits it in her escrow account and then she makes a separate check to us. So I guess only difference is us not signing check physically. She would sign for us. Instead of having to come in to the office, she said we can give her authorization to endorse check on our behalf, and notarize it. Does it sound legit?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So the check is made to both our names, then she deposits it in her escrow account and then she makes a separate check to us. So I guess only difference is us not signing check physically. She would sign for us. Instead of having to come in to the office, she said we can give her authorization to endorse check on our behalf, and notarize it. Does it sound legit?

Sounds legit to me. The check is going to the same place regardless of who signs it. And this procedure is an industry standard.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:33 pm
Amarante wrote:
How did you find this attorney? Are the licensed and do they have an actual practice you can verify?

In general it is safe for attorneys to handle money on behalf of their clients because they owe a fiduciary duty and attorneys are legally required to have a separate bank account for funds payable to clients.

It is standard practice for settlements to be paid to the attorney and for the attorney to then pay the client what is owed after deducting amounts owed to the attorney.

You should of course have some kind of paper trail including a document signed by the attorney stating that X amount is to be paid to you no later than a certain date.
someone recommended them, but I dont know either well. How can I tell if she is licensed?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics