Home

What are the Mainstream Boys Yeshivas in Flatbush

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


bumpkin2




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:02 pm
My husband is from Flatbush (born-and-bred) and I'm from out of town. While we will most likely end up sending to his alma mater, I'd love to learn what the "options" are. What are the mainstream yeshivas in Flatbush. What are the differences in parent/student body, hashkafa, strengths/weaknesses of the different schools, etc. Are there any nursery/pre-school programs that are top notch vs others?

The only schools that I really know of here are Torah Vodaas, Cheder on Elmwood, Torah Temima, Chaim Berlin, the Mir. And still, I don't much about even these schools. What can you tell me about these schools? Are these the only options? Are there other schools in the yeshivishe/mainstream range?

Any and all information would be so helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:00 pm
Also - Veretzky, Tiferes Yisroel, Toras Emes & Ahavas Torah
Back to top

doctorima




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:13 pm
Between OP and Purple, I think you've got your options covered. If you tell us a little more about what yourself and what you're lookin for, it would be easier to advise you on appropriate options. In general, some are more to the right and some to the left, with multiple options along the spectrum in between.

One key difference will be whether you want DS learning to teitch (translate) into Yiddish or not, which will roughly divide your options in half. Also, where you live can have an impact, as even though they offer busing, long commutes for little ones are not ideal and proximity has a value. Also where your neighbors send will be important, as it's nice for DS to have classmates in the neighborhood that he can easily get together with for playdates.
Back to top

bumpkin2




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:24 pm
doctorima wrote:
Between OP and Purple, I think you've got your options covered. If you tell us a little more about what yourself and what you're lookin for, it would be easier to advise you on appropriate options. In general, some are more to the right and some to the left, with multiple options along the spectrum in between.

One key difference will be whether you want DS learning to teitch (translate) into Yiddish or not, which will roughly divide your options in half. Also, where you live can have an impact, as even though they offer busing, long commutes for little ones are not ideal and proximity has a value. Also where your neighbors send will be important, as it's nice for DS to have classmates in the neighborhood that he can easily get together with for playdates.


Thanks so much! I work in Chinuch and my husband learns and we'd love for our kids to follow his path. BC I'm from out of town and I work in Kiruv I'd say we might be a little bit more open minded than some of the other people in these schools... but generally our hashkafos are in line with what one might considered yeshivish. I hate labels. Generally, we don't want them to be around other kids who have videogames, tvs, smart devices in their home, as we don't. We are a black hat family and we'd like for our kids to be around others like us. I suppose I'd consider us more to the right? My husband is currently learning w a lot of the rebbeim from the Cheder at night seder right now and it seems like that might be a good fit but it's still good to know the options. I know schools have changed a lot since he was at Torah Temima 25 yrs ago. These other schools the other person posted above may be a little too modern for our liking in terms of the parent body? Nothing against that type but we'd prefer a more in-the-box type of environment for our boys.

Does this help?
Back to top

amother




Black
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:09 pm
bumpkin2 wrote:
Generally, we don't want them to be around other kids who have videogames, tvs, smart devices in their home, as we don't.


Mir, Chaim Berlin or the Cheder. You’re describing a very yeshivish crowd. But practically speaking, video games are probably in these schools too. But not to the same extent as in the other listed schools.
Back to top

doctorima




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:14 pm
With that helpful background info, the Cheder is definitely considered the most yeshivish school in Flatbush, and you shouldn't have issues of family with TVs there, but I think you'll definitely have some with videogames like Nintendo Switch, and possibly smart devices as well.

If you want an even more right-wing crowd, you could check out Tiferes Elimelech in Boro Park. The Mir could also be an option, as it has a reputation for being right-wing and less wealthy and materialistic than the Cheder, though I've heard that both of these schools have had to broaden their parent body in order to keep their doors open. Torah Temimah has changed a lot since your husband's time and would not be the place I would recommend for you today.
Back to top

amother




Saddlebrown
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:24 pm
Based on your description I would say the cheder and mir are the best fit for you. Possibly chaim berlin.
Back to top

bumpkin2




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:17 pm
doctorima wrote:
Torah Temimah has changed a lot since your husband's time and would not be the place I would recommend for you today.


Curious as to your research on Torah Temima as it stands today. I've heard that the preschool program is one of the best of all the yeshivas. But I don't know much about the elementary/high schools. Care to elaborate? Thank you again!
Back to top

STovah




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:21 pm
bumpkin2 wrote:
Curious as to your research on Torah Temima as it stands today. I've heard that the preschool program is one of the best of all the yeshivas. But I don't know much about the elementary/high schools. Care to elaborate? Thank you again!


The preschool and school may be well run but the crowd isn’t really yeshivish
Back to top

bumpkin2




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:38 pm
STovah wrote:
The preschool and school may be well run but the crowd isn’t really yeshivish


What is it if it's not Yeshivish? It's certainly not modern?
Back to top

doctorima




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:47 pm
If you're looking to insulate your kids from secular culture and media - TV, movies, video games, etc., I don't think you'll be happy with what they'll be exposed to in Torah Temimah. If you are involved in chinuch/learning/kiruv and the hashkafos and values that go with that, you would be a much smaller minority there than in some of the other options you were given. The opposite of yeshivish here wouldn't be modern, but it would be Flatbushy, which it sounds like is not what you're looking for.
Back to top

bsy




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:41 pm
I've heard good things about the cheder preschool. They have upk, so I'm assuming the curriculum is decent.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Flatbush day camps info pls
by amother
3 Yesterday at 10:45 pm View last post
Boys high schools in rbs
by amother
2 Yesterday at 1:29 pm View last post
Only Boys high schools in Hollywood
by amother
3 Yesterday at 12:20 pm View last post
Looking for a bagel store or dairy restaurant in Flatbush 0 Yesterday at 3:27 am View last post
Bp/ flatbush reliable seforim store for shaimos
by amother
4 Fri, Jan 15 2021, 12:50 am View last post