Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I got a call from dept of labor
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:56 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
me too?!

Why? My husband was out of work from March 17-July 1. Approximately 14 weeks.
Unemployment for him was around $620/week. That's $8,680.
Then an additional $600 for 12 of those weeks (I think). That's $7200.
My husband was only off for 3 1/2 months of the intense lockdown.
He made almost $16k for those 14/15 weeks.
It's still rough. Because normally, he'd make $20k for those 14/15 weeks.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:07 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Why? My husband was out of work from March 17-July 1. Approximately 14 weeks.
Unemployment for him was around $620/week. That's $8,680.
Then an additional $600 for 12 of those weeks (I think). That's $7200.
My husband was only off for 3 1/2 months of the intense lockdown.
He made almost $16k for those 14/15 weeks.
It's still rough. Because normally, he'd make $20k for those 14/15 weeks.

Very similar situation here although I think he made a bit more (NJ). I was also on unemployment but had worked very part time so with the extra $600 I came out ahead. However as a household we did not come out ahead because my husband would have brought in a lot more.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:05 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Lol I’m still stuck on the fact that people got 10k in between jobs during these 8 months.

I must be doing something wrong!

Making $10k in 8 months is not a lot of money. That’s $15,000 a year. If you want to look at it like that.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:12 am
watergirl wrote:
There is a lot of misunderstanding and confusion about unemployment. I almost wonder if people think it's similar to other government benefits. People have no idea the money comes from their former employer's unemployment insurance package, and employers fight it if they can. Can you blame them?

There is even more confusion, misinformation, and misunderstanding now because the COVID relief made it possible for more people to qualify who would not have prior to the pandemic.

Were does the money come from when self employed?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:15 am
Also my dh mistakenly made a claim, he thought he was eligible but would like to give back the money after realizing he is not. He tried calling unemployment multiple times but cannot get through to anyone who can help.

Anyone have suggestions/ contact info where he can do this?
NY unemployment.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:19 am
Also, your employer might have gotten special money from the government to stay afloat and pay wages. It’s conditional money that he would not be allowed to fire anyone during that time. And so you filing for unemployment would mean that the government will ask for the money back from your employer, and he would counter that he didn’t fire you, you quit.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:52 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:

I don't know. I believe (I could be wrong) that self-employment unemployment benefits is one of the special covid things. I could be wrong.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:53 am
Can I call him and ask him to fire me for then

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Why would he do that...

QueensMama

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You already said you left. You can be charged with fraud if you change your story!

What exactly happened? How were you harassed?

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:55 am

There is no unemployment if you are self employed because how can you fire yourself. Just like there is no unemployment if you are an independent contractor.

The pandemic relief had special provisions that enabled some people to collect benefits if they had a loss of income. I don’t know the specifics but there was a period when eligibility was different snd of course the amount paid was different than how it is normally calculated.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You already told the Department of Labor that you quit and you gave them a reason. Do you also want to be sighted for making false statements to the government officials? You would then be at risk of being caught lying twice to the govt - once for saying you quit because you didn't like the work place, and a second time for lying about being fired. They would site you twice even though its one lie.

I am confused here. So many people told you to seek professional council and halachic advice. Why are you trying to take the easy way out of this mess?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:57 am
Amarante wrote:
There is no unemployment if you are self employed because how can you fire yourself. Just like there is no unemployment if you are an independent contractor.

The pandemic relief had special provisions that enabled some people to collect benefits if they had a loss of income. I don’t know the specifics but there was a period when eligibility was different snd of course the amount paid was different than how it is normally calculated.

I'm talking about during the pandemic.
They let you collect unemployment if you were unable to work due to covid even if you were self employed.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:59 am

There is no unemployment insurance for those self employed without a W2.
Due to covid, the federal government funded $600 a week for all those unemployed- even those self employed.
The reason the extra unemployment covid money was a flat rate for everybody, and not given based on salary lost, like unemployment usually is, is because it was not coming from the standard unemployment fund that employers pay into. It was coming from the federal government as assistance during covid to save the economy, and that money had no connection to the separate unemployment funds.
That means that self employed individuals only received the $600 a week federal funds.. No additional unemployment funds from the state unemployment insurance fund for those self employed and out of work.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:01 am
Amarante wrote:

This shows how there is so much confusion and people getting the wrong info from the wrong sources. How many threads were there here from TEACHERS(!!) saying they were quitting their jobs so they can make more money on unemployment? Someone said it well above. So many people left their jobs thinking they had it great and could get a windfall and now have this issue.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:04 am
watergirl wrote:
This shows how there is so much confusion and people getting the wrong info from the wrong sources. How many threads were there here from TEACHERS(!!) saying they were quitting their jobs so they can make more money on unemployment? Someone said it well above. So many people left their jobs thinking they had it great and could get a windfall and now have this issue.

But those teachers easily could have said that they were going on unemployment because they're kids were home due to covid.

I'm an essential self employed worker. I chose not work from March 16th to June 2nd because of covid. Of course I was eligible for PUA. This is what it was made for...

QueensMama

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:06 am
So after rereading this thread it seems you left the job because conditions weren't optimal. You mistakenly thought it was enough reason to get unemployment. Now you've discovered it wasn't.

You can't change the past. Now you've learned.

I'm sorry, it's difficult to return money that might have already been spent.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:08 am
ra_mom wrote:
There is no unemployment insurance for those self employed without a W2.
Due to covid, the federal government funded $600 a week for all those unemployed- even those self employed.
The reason the extra unemployment covid money was a flat rate for everybody, and not given based on salary lost, like unemployment usually is, is because it was not coming from the standard unemployment fund that employers pay into. It was coming from the federal government as assistance during covid to save the economy, and that money had no connection to the separate unemployment funds.
That means that self employed individuals only received the $600 a week federal funds.. No additional unemployment funds from the state unemployment insurance fund for those self employed and out of work.

But those people did receive PUA PLUS a percentage of their self employed salary.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:08 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
But those teachers easily could have said that they were going on unemployment because they're kids were home due to covid.

I'm an essential self employed worker. I chose not work from March 16th to June 2nd because of covid. Of course I was eligible for PUA. This is what it was made for...

The teachers could have said thats why they left their jobs if it was true. If their claims are looked into like OPs is, they will have to prove the claim.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:10 am
QueensMama wrote:
You already said you left. You can be charged with fraud if you change your story!

What exactly happened? How were you harassed?

Boss screamed and yelled at me
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics