Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Peanut chews with no corn syrup
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:51 pm
Has anyone made peanut chews with a sugar substitute & something instead of corn syrup?
I’m looking to keep the calories as low as possible. I usually use monk fruit sweetener instead of sugar in cooking & I like it.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 4:12 pm
Honestly, eat an apple instead. If you need to sub a whole recipe it’s not worth making. Won’t have the same taste or consistency at all

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 4:15 pm
Honey is a healthier, more natural alternative, but still high in calories.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 4:17 pm
I make it with honey all the time. Brown rice syrup is the best substitute if you can find that. I haven't seen it in a long time in the store though.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 4:50 pm
Agave syrup

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:50 pm
1 1/2 cups creamy pb
2/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla
6 cups Rice Krispies

Melt pb and honey on the stove or in the microwave
Stir in salt and vanilla
Add cereal and mix
Pour into pan and smooth out

Melt 2 cups chocolate chips and 1 Tbsp pb to spread on top as frosting

Mmmmmm......

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:08 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
1 1/2 cups creamy pb
2/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla
6 cups Rice Krispies

Melt pb and honey on the stove or in the microwave
Stir in salt and vanilla
Add cereal and mix
Pour into pan and smooth out

Melt 2 cups chocolate chips and 1 Tbsp pb to spread on top as frosting

Mmmmmm......

Do you use a all peanuts peanut butter or skippy style?

professor

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:20 pm
Brown rice syrup is worse than white sugar! Agave is also not the healthiest. Just lick a spoon of skippy pb instead

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:23 pm
I make it with honey all the time.
Just organic peanut butter and raw honey and rice crispies. Tastes very very close to the original version. Consistency is the same.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you use a all peanuts peanut butter or skippy style?

I use organic peanut butter - only peanuts and nothing else. The honey is plenty of sweetness, and the sea salt is plenty of saltiness.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:53 pm
Corn syrup is not as evil as people make it out to be Laugh
Unless you’re allergic. In that case, please substitute it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:09 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I use organic peanut butter - only peanuts and nothing else. The honey is plenty of sweetness, and the sea salt is plenty of saltiness.

Ok thanks.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:14 pm
All the sweeteners mentioned are essentially simple sugar and none of them are more healthy than others. None of them are intended to be used in anything other than small quantities as a treat.

Whatever tastes the best makes the most sense because it's ultimately going to be more satisfying to eat something delicious than something that is cobbled together because of a mistaken belief that it is healthy.

There is nothing wrong with incorporating "junk" food - ie food that contains essentially nothing but empty calories in an otherwise healthy diet but ultimately peanut butter spread on apples with some whole wheat pretzels is actually a healthy snack.

If you like peanut chews, go for it but don't kids yourself that they are somehow healthier when made with alternative sugars than any other type of candy.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:38 am
I was excited when I saw the title of this thread because here in Israel it's much harder to get corn syrup.
Amarante, don't you have ANY recipe that doesn't use corn syrup? Please?

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:53 am
WitchKitty wrote:
I was excited when I saw the title of this thread because here in Israel it's much harder to get corn syrup.
Amarante, don't you have ANY recipe that doesn't use corn syrup? Please?

Corn syrup is used a lot for homemade candies because regular sugar can create a granular texture.

This is probably more than you want to know about corn syrup LOL Smile

Corn syrup is not quite the evil ingredient people think it is. They confuse the corn syrup we use for baking with a very specific commercial variant: high fructose corn syrup, which is found lurking in all kinds of processed foods.

Corn syrup from the baking aisle is an invert sugar, meaning it's liquid at room temperature. It does a couple of specific things in baking. In a cookie recipe, it creates a texture that's both bendy and chewy, as opposed to crisp.

Invert sugars prevent grains of sugar from recrystallizing when the cookie cools, making it less brittle. Keep in mind, though, that if you bake the batch a bit too long, you'll get a cookie that's crisp throughout, despite the invert sugar in the formula.

Corn syrup is often added to fudge recipes to keep them from getting grainy, again by inhibiting the formation of large sugar crystals. That's also the reason it's sometimes added to cookie glazes: smaller crystals mean the frosting is shinier when it dries

Einikel

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:59 am
Amarante wrote:
Corn syrup is used a lot for homemade candies because regular sugar can create a granular texture.

This is probably more than you want to know about corn syrup LOL Smile

Corn syrup is not quite the evil ingredient people think it is. They confuse the corn syrup we use for baking with a very specific commercial variant: high fructose corn syrup, which is found lurking in all kinds of processed foods.

Corn syrup from the baking aisle is an invert sugar, meaning it's liquid at room temperature. It does a couple of specific things in baking. In a cookie recipe, it creates a texture that's both bendy and chewy, as opposed to crisp.

Invert sugars prevent grains of sugar from recrystallizing when the cookie cools, making it less brittle. Keep in mind, though, that if you bake the batch a bit too long, you'll get a cookie that's crisp throughout, despite the invert sugar in the formula.

Corn syrup is often added to fudge recipes to keep them from getting grainy, again by inhibiting the formation of large sugar crystals. That's also the reason it's sometimes added to cookie glazes: smaller crystals mean the frosting is shinier when it dries

Your knowledge on food always inspires me. Did you go to culinary school?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:43 am
Walmart's Rice Crisp cereal has a recipe.
https://i5.walmartimages.com/a......jpeg

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:01 am
Einikel wrote:
Your knowledge on food always inspires me. Did you go to culinary school?

Not a professional in any way shape or manner.

My cooking skills were pretty shoddy until about a decade ago. I knew how to cook something but I lacked technique (like how to dice an onion correctly) or why certain ingredients or techniques produced certain outcomes.

But I discovered Alton Brown by chance and then America's Test Kitchen and some other cooking shows when they were actually about teaching how to cook instead of just being "entertainment" and then I started reading more.

The Alton show that turned me on to the whole "science" of cooking was Three Chips For Sister Sara because there is nothing that is as good as well made chocolate chip cookie. There are three recipes - one for "normal"; one for puffy and one for chewy versions and the recipes differ slightly. Normal cookie is A.P. Flour and butter; puffy is shortening and cake flour and chewy is melted butter and bread flour. Amazing how theoretically the same ingredients produce very different results.

And I still remember some of my completely memorable failures as a child. The first cookies I baked with my cousin when I didn't realize that cookies became harder when they cooled so we baked them until they were black and burned and then had the audacity to attempt to sell them on the sidewalk - and people bought them. LOL

Einikel

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 3:56 pm
Amarante wrote:

My cooking skills were pretty shoddy until about a decade ago. I knew how to cook something but I lacked technique (like how to dice an onion correctly) or why certain ingredients or techniques produced certain outcomes.

But I discovered Alton Brown by chance and then America's Test Kitchen and some other cooking shows when they were actually about teaching how to cook instead of just being "entertainment" and then I started reading more.

The Alton show that turned me on to the whole "science" of cooking was Three Chips For Sister Sara because there is nothing that is as good as well made chocolate chip cookie. There are three recipes - one for "normal"; one for puffy and one for chewy versions and the recipes differ slightly. Normal cookie is A.P. Flour and butter; puffy is shortening and cake flour and chewy is melted butter and bread flour. Amazing how theoretically the same ingredients produce very different results.

And I still remember some of my completely memorable failures as a child. The first cookies I baked with my cousin when I didn't realize that cookies became harder when they cooled so we baked them until they were black and burned and then had the audacity to attempt to sell them on the sidewalk - and people bought them. LOL

My husband is the same way. Before he makes anything he watches tons of youtube videos and his recipes are always amazing. I joke that while I'm the cook he's the chef.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:04 pm
Amarante wrote:

You must have been cute kids!

Alton Brown was my favorite show.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking