Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you have in your account now
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

How much is in your checking, savings/retirement account
less than 10k  
 39%  [ 107 ]
between 10k and 30k  
 13%  [ 36 ]
between 30k and 60k  
 16%  [ 45 ]
betwen 60k and 100k  
 10%  [ 29 ]
between 100k and 150k  
 8%  [ 24 ]
between 150k and 200k  
 10%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 270

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:14 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I keep about 10k cash in the house as emergency money in a fireproof safe. Maybe she has a fireproof safe as well...

My old neighbor had $20k in a fire proof safe and the safe was stolen while she and her DH were at work one day. The thieves smashed and opened the safe and made off with the money.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:16 pm
Low 30's
-130 in bank no savings, no retirement live hand to mouth week to week, husband works like a horse, I literally don't sleep from all the stress.... Crying

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:23 pm
In checking, 12k. Savings, 125k. Investments 175k. Own a house, fully renovated, with 300k equity and a small mortgage. Own a vacation house, worth 200k, no mortgage. No debt. Anticipated income of 75k in January as partial bonus comp and we save, on average, 5k-7k per month. We live comfortably. Can't say I think much about what I spend but I'm not very materialistic overall so... I'm 36.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:30 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Yup, agree. My question was kind of rhetorical, just wanted to point out that money is not everything...

You know there's a happy medium.
I'm not half an involved mom as my mother was (although I'm still very involved) because I want to give my kids more financial security than I had growing up.
Yeah, the grass is always greener Wink Wink

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:45 pm
We are in my 40s. We both work.

We max out on dhs 401k and our Roth Ira plans every year. We also have separate money in stocks.

We purchased a starter home in our low 20s. We outgrew it years ago. We only did 2 renovation projects, both were mostly covered by insurance.

Our kitchen and bathrooms are falling apart. We dont invite anyone over anymore.

Its really awful. Dh picked up one of our kids and some of his friends from a trip. Instead of dropping the kids off at my house and parents picking them up, dh volunteered to drive an extra hour dropping them off at their homes. He didn't want the friends to see our house.

Yes, we have over $400 k in savings, probably closer to 700k. I don't pay attention or keep track. We have about 10k in cash in our account on a given day.

The money means nothing to me. If I cant afford to redo my kitchen then im broke.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:48 pm
7k in the bank but about 100k in debt. Early thirties

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:50 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
$35 in one account and $-130 in the other. No savings, we do not own a home. 2 children. DH is the most hardworking person I know. We have a lot of medical expenses. DHs computer (a specific expensive piece that he uses for work) just broke. He broke down crying today, no idea how he will buy a new one as he would need about $4000 for it. (Has to be a specific type to handle the work that he does.) we know HaShem helps and takes care but sometimes it seems as if He forgot about us.

is his computer a mac? my dh said he has a mac and he pays a fee for "support" because he needs his computer for work and it costs over 2000 dollars. hopefully your husband will figure some way to get a new computer. he might want to look in to getting something like that to prevent these type of things from happening in the future... I'm so sorry Sad

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:53 pm
My Mac laptop is $3K, I also need it for work.

You should know that the Apple store has a flat fee option for repairs - I think it's like $550 now, and they will fix EVERYTHING wrong with your computer - screen, keyboard, motherboard, EVERYTHING and replace whatever doesn't work. It does take a week or two, but I did it and got back a fully functional computer.

AppleCare will do this for free, but it is only the first 3 years if you bought the extra protection. My last laptop lasted me about 8 years.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:54 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:

We max out on dhs 401k and our Roth Ira plans every year. We also have separate money in stocks.

We purchased a starter home in our low 20s. We outgrew it years ago. We only did 2 renovation projects, both were mostly covered by insurance.

Our kitchen and bathrooms are falling apart. We dont invite anyone over anymore.

Its really awful. Dh picked up one of our kids and some of his friends from a trip. Instead of dropping the kids off at my house and parents picking them up, dh volunteered to drive an extra hour dropping them off at their homes. He didn't want the friends to see our house.

Yes, we have over $400 k in savings, probably closer to 700k. I don't pay attention or keep track. We have about 10k in cash in our account on a given day.

The money means nothing to me. If I cant afford to redo my kitchen then im broke.

is there a reason why you can't use some of that money for renovations?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 11:06 pm

How much would it cost to make your kitchen and bathrooms presentable? IYH your kids will start dating soon, no? IMO maybe just take out money from savings and fix it up to make you satisfied and not embarrassed. A kitchen and bathrooms can be done decently I would guess at 65K all 3 together.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 11:13 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
What do you both do that you have only been working for a year and have such a nice amount in savings/investments?

I'm a lawyer and my husband is a rebbe but has multiple side business. Our savings come from investing our wedding money a few years ago right after we got married and my husbands side things as well as me working while in school. We each make about 100k but expect that to grow.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 11:17 pm
If there’s anything I’ve learned it’s that you can plan and plan, but God runs the world. We are in our high 30s/low 40s. BH we always have enough to cover our expenses, but we’ve definitely struggled. Currently we have about 15k in savings. I owe a lot in student loans but haven’t had to make payments during the pandemic. I am in a field with a lot of potential - I make a lot per hour but work very few hours. I’d rather be focused on being a mother right now. We own a house as well. At some point in the past couple years I realized that I can only do my hishtadlus and ultimately it’s all in Hashem’s hands. I completely gave it up to Him. And BH we saw a lot of yeshuos since then. I don’t lie awake worrying about our future. Hashem will give us what we’re meant to have, so my anxiety would be pointless. Whenever my husband gets anxious about money, I always remind him that Hashem has always sent us what we need. My husband works very hard and I truly believe that Hashem will send what we need through that (or through something else). Do your hishtadlus, but don’t forget that there’s nothing as powerful as emuna.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 11:19 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
is there a reason why you can't use some of that money for renovations?

Dh was raised like this. They thought they were poor. My inlaws actualy have money and help our their kids alot. Dh believes that this is the right way to live.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 11:26 pm
My DH and I both came into the marriage with about 15k each from working. And we got about 10k from wedding money.
We currently have 30K in savings and about 5k in checking. We're in our mid 20s.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
How much would it cost to make your kitchen and bathrooms presentable? IYH your kids will start dating soon, no? IMO maybe just take out money from savings and fix it up to make you satisfied and not embarrassed. A kitchen and bathrooms can be done decently I would guess at 65K all 3 together.

For the last 10 years dh tried to convince me that one day the housing market will crash and we will move. We will be the only ones that can afford to buy a house since we will have lots of cash. Dh will only consider a newer house that is in move in condition. He still believes it will happen one day.

My kitchen and bathrooms are small. We got an estimate for a really cheap kitchen. Dh said it was to much. I gave up.

It took me a full year to convince dh to replace the broken dryer. It was destroying clothing occasionally. I only used it for underwear and towels.

I have a dd that can technically start dating tom.

The only reason why I stated anything originally is that people need to see the full picture. Someone may have spend 25k to have a healthy baby. Another person may have invested their money into building a beautiful house. Someone else may have made the decision to invest in her family and be a sahm (there can be major financial disadvantage, long term). Having $0 or 1M in savings (dhs goal) isn't a full financial picture.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 11:48 pm
Amother Burlywood, you may want to consider putting some of your own income into a separate savings account for your own discretionary spending. Things like a dryer shouldn't become a Shalom Bayis issue.

(I lived without a working dryer for many months, but it was because we couldn't afford a new one - by a neis a dryer went on sale for under $400 and it is a pleasure!)

You may also be able to save up for small improvements to your bathrooms and kitchen, perhaps not enough to make it gorgeous, but enough to make it presentable.

Another angle you might want to take is that perhaps DH wants to fix up your current house for future resale...

(There are some amazing DIY kitchens for under $20K or even $10K. Ikea cabinetry is good quality and very affordable, and if you shop sales for flooring you can do some pretty incredible things even on a tight budget.)

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:21 am
For the last 10 years dh tried to convince me that one day the housing market will crash and we will move. We will be the only ones that can afford to buy a house since we will have lots of cash. Dh will only consider a newer house that is in move in condition. He still believes it will happen one day.

My kitchen and bathrooms are small. We got an estimate for a really cheap kitchen. Dh said it was to much. I gave up.

It took me a full year to convince dh to replace the broken dryer. It was destroying clothing occasionally. I only used it for underwear and towels.

I have a dd that can technically start dating tom.

The only reason why I stated anything originally is that people need to see the full picture. Someone may have spend 25k to have a healthy baby. Another person may have invested their money into building a beautiful house. Someone else may have made the decision to invest in her family and be a sahm (there can be major financial disadvantage, long term). Having $0 or 1M in savings (dhs goal) isn't a full financial picture.

This is getting off-topic, but, honestly Burlywood I think it might help if you created a spinoff and worked through this issue. I used to be super frugal and save/save/save, also still believe the housing market will crash, etc. We own a 2 family and could really afford to take it over as a 1 but hold onto the extra income, oh yes, and my kitchen and bathroom also could use a re-doing (I joke with my DH that I am going to lock the 100 yr old "horrible" bathroom on the first floor IYH by my dd's Lechaim so guests are forced to go to recently redone basement bathroom Smile). DH and I are both frugal so I guess that "worked" for us, we were always on the same page about saving and not spending much. I literally had to work on myself to spend more on things when I really wanted and I got "better" at spending. I guess the first step would be acknowledging that you have an "issue" and then seeing how you can work on it especially in the areas that are important for quality of life (like the dryer story) and even the kitchen/bathroom.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:28 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
What happens if there is a fire in your house and you are not home? Is it rlly risk to lose 20k in cash?
It's kept in a (supposedly) fireproof safe. I hope to never find out if it lives up to its claim...

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:35 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
please reach out and see if someone can help you, even just to longterm loan you the money! I'm sure there are plenty of people who specifically want to help people who are trying and just had financial curveballs thrown their way. Maybe there is a local rabbi that you can reach out to? My heart breaks for you. may you see yeshuos quickly!

Amen! Thank you for your kind words. We’re trying to work through it. DH is hesitant to borrow what he can not pay back right now and our credit is shot so we can’t finance. Hashem will help us at the right time. We’re doing our hishtadlus but it’s obviously not the right thing for us now if He doesn’t want it to happen.... iyh one day.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 3:02 am
I just inherited approximately $500K from a close relative so my savings account is robust, but I would gladly give every penny back to have this relative back with us again.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics