Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Why am I hesitating?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:20 pm
My in laws tested positive for an extremely high level of antibodies. We consulted with a local healthcare professional who said based on current information it is likely fine to have them over and not wear masks and be normal. Dh wants to have them for Shabbos but for some reason I’m terrified even though the doctor said it’s fine. Anyone experience similar?

tichellady

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:33 pm
Because even if they are immune they may still be able to pass it on to you.

Because maybe you think it is a bad precedent to set right now in your community when people are supposed to be social distancing

Good luck making a decision! It’s a hard time and not easy to navigate these things. No clear cut answers

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:35 pm
youre not wrong or right, either way.

Me personally, I wouldnt but I know my husband would be ok with it and thinks im being pedantic.

but I dont think you can be too careful now..

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:36 pm
Before Pesach last year I was watching a recording of a concert on YouTube. As the concert ended, the camera turned round and panned across the audience. I was startled. So many people?! Them I caught myself, and realized how indoctrinated we had already become with the knowledge that other people weren't safe, and I wondered how long it would take us to truly recover when this was over.

More than six months later, the knowledge that spending time with other people is risky has had more time to become solidly engrained. It is going to take a lot of time and work to overcome it. Logic doesn't have much effect on emotions. The more you give in to your emotions, though, the stronger hold they will get on you.

Struggle your way through and host them for Shabbos. Once you have broken through that barrier of fear, hopefully the pleasure of spending time as a family will carry you through.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:42 pm
You know what your problem is? Your watching to much news!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:55 pm
If you are worried for them - you don’t have to be. No one is going to live forever - parents need to be with their children. Yes, be careful when necessary - but they had Covid - not having them at this point is way overboard. Don’t trust me - ask a doctor.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:58 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
youre not wrong or right, either way.

Me personally, I wouldnt but I know my husband would be ok with it and thinks im being pedantic.

but I dont think you can be too careful now..

Yes - you can be TOO careful. No one lives forever - taking away months and maybe years of grandparents spending time with their grandchildren is not nothing! I’m not saying to be together with them if neither of you had Covid, but if they did - by all means enjoy the time together - that’s important too!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:58 pm
listen to your health care provider!

enjoy!!!

tichellady

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:10 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Before Pesach last year I was watching a recording of a concert on YouTube. As the concert ended, the camera turned round and panned across the audience. I was startled. So many people?! Them I caught myself, and realized how indoctrinated we had already become with the knowledge that other people weren't safe, and I wondered how long it would take us to truly recover when this was over.

More than six months later, the knowledge that spending time with other people is risky has had more time to become solidly engrained. It is going to take a lot of time and work to overcome it. Logic doesn't have much effect on emotions. The more you give in to your emotions, though, the stronger hold they will get on you.

Struggle your way through and host them for Shabbos. Once you have broken through that barrier of fear, hopefully the pleasure of spending time as a family will carry you through.

This may be true for you but definitely not for em. I miss my family and if it was safe to do so would feel perfectly comfortable spending time with them

Simple1

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:12 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
You know what your problem is? Your watching to much news!

Or too many Covid threads on Imamother.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My in laws tested positive for an extremely high level of antibodies. We consulted with a local healthcare professional who said based on current information it is likely fine to have them over and not wear masks and be normal. Dh wants to have them for Shabbos but for some reason I’m terrified even though the doctor said it’s fine. Anyone experience similar?

Not me. I think your level of fear is over the top.
You don't mention that you or anyone in your household is super high risk. If that were the case the paranoia might be warranted but for the average otherwise healthy person to get an okay from the doctor and still be so scared - doesn't sound mentally healthy to me. Stop watching the news and following the statistics. You'll feel much better.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:18 pm
Don’t be frummer than the Pope.
If the doctor says it’s fine, it’s fine.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You're scared for yourself or for them?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:47 pm
Would you feel any different if it were your parents?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:55 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
listen to your health care provider!

enjoy!!!

Yes. Stop living in fear! Really!

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:01 pm
I was in the same situation. My fear was because my mil is elderly and I would feel terrible if anything happened to her. We also consulted with a doctor. It ended up being a beautiful visit.

Simple1

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:56 pm
Everything in life is a risk. If you follow advice from your doctor, then you're doing your hishtadlus.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:21 am
I just came across this quote about eating together, which perfectly sums up what I was trying to say earlier.

Quote:
Where I once saw closeness and warmth, I now see aerosolized particles. It’s not appetizing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics