Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Metformin

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:59 pm
For pple who take metformin for weight loss how long did it take to start losing weight? Where u strict about what you would eat?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:05 pm
I just started taking it for insulin resistance. I lost 5lbs in the first month. I did not change my diet significantly (though I did not have issues with overeating before I started). Also it has made me slightly nauseous which reduced my appetite.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:27 pm
How overweight do you have to be before a doctor will consider it?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:31 pm
I went to an endrocronologist who tested my blood levels. I had gained 30 lbs in one year post-partum. The practitioner told me that It works by reducing insulin in your bloodstream; if excess insulin is the cause of the weight gain, the weight will decrease.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:14 pm
I hope it works my doctor isnt hopeful it will help I have to lose like 50lbs. Ive tried so many diets drink 12 cups water a day exercise the scale wont budge. My blood work is fine....

Last edited by amother on Fri, May 21 2021, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:38 am
Following:

Also curious- did anyone who takes metformin find that you crave sugar/carbs (perhaps because metformin is lowering it?)

If so, any solutions?

Imax5

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Following:

Also curious- did anyone who takes metformin find that you crave sugar/carbs (perhaps because metformin is lowering it?)

If so, any solutions?

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Doesn’t it work by reducing insulin, thereby increasing blood sugar? Or at least allowing for higher blood sugars?

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:00 pm
I take Metformin too. As I understand, it stimulates the liver to convert sugar into fat, thereby easing the need for the pancreas to over-make insulin that isn't working well enough to properly get the sugar out of the blood. Metformin definitely doesn't work to give you higher blood sugar, just the opposite.

And yes, I find that I crave sugar probably because I've cut out most carbs. I think its just something I need to get used to and its definitely a challenge.

Imax5

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:13 pm
Sorry I didn’t mean actually increasing blood sugar. But reducing the overactive insulin reaction that can result in blood sugar going way down very quickly and increasing hunger.

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:36 pm
It did not help me lose weight. I took it for insulin resistance. Cutting carbs helped me lose weight. It did however make me very nauseous and terrible stomachaches. When I cut out the carbs the side effects went away. That’s what mostly kept me from not staying on my diet.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:04 am
Metformin reduces the amount of sugar released by the liver, it also reduces the amount of sugar absorbed in your intestines, and it also reduces insulin resistance (enabling insulin to work better at getting sugar into your cells and reducing the need for insulin).
With all this, if I eat very low carb, there is less sugar in my blood... No?

I try to eat very low carb. It's hard...duh. I wonder if metformin actually makes that harder to do. Sometimes I really crave carbs... Is that made harder by metformin or is that just the reason I need metformin anyway?
Sometimes my willpower is so strong and I'm convinced I'm just not gonna eat carbs.... But then I do.
Ginger, how do you do it?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:57 am
X

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 2:57 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Metformin reduces the amount of sugar released by the liver, it also reduces the amount of sugar absorbed in your intestines, and it also reduces insulin resistance (enabling insulin to work better at getting sugar into your cells and reducing the need for insulin).
With all this, if I eat very low carb, there is less sugar in my blood... No?

I try to eat very low carb. It's hard...duh. I wonder if metformin actually makes that harder to do. Sometimes I really crave carbs... Is that made harder by metformin or is that just the reason I need metformin anyway?
Sometimes my willpower is so strong and I'm convinced I'm just not gonna eat carbs.... But then I do.
Ginger, how do you do it?

Are you eating sweetener? fruit?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:42 am
Look its definitely a struggle for me.

I was always overweight, but during spring/summer I also gained about 15 lbs on top of my already existing weight struggles. So now I have diabetes. If you want to know the truth, thats what helps. I am SCARED SCARED SCARED.

Am I perfect? No. On days that I am tense or upset about things I tend to make choices I regret. But I move on, I try to become more aware, I try to prepare for myself, and overall I have lost 25 lbs. and I will keep going. I have learned what works for me and my body. If I am careful about eating and feeding myself healthy things, then I slowly lose weight. What can I tell you, its a journey and I'd like to live to tell the tale.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 9:56 am
Please be careful with metformin- please research it and ask your dr about the possible side effects. I know someone who took it who has a sensitive stomache who thinks the metformin caused long lasting terrrible stomache issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise