Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
S/o shop local - Sheitelmachers

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:45 pm
I had a really frustrating experience last week and the thread about shopping local got me thinking.
I had an appointment with a sheitel macher to have my wig reset. She is supposed to be top so I was really hoping she'd do a great job.
The first thing I noticed when I came in was her attitude. She was really unfriendly, so I decided to be dan l'kaf zchus and thought maybe she had a hard day.
Well, not only was she super snobby, she actually did a horrible job. I wanted to discuss the style with her but instead of her helping me see what looks best, she kept brushing me off saying, "do whatever you want". She then went on to do it in 2 minutes flat giving it no time and attention.
I had another wig which needed a bun to be made and when I explained what kind of bun I wanted she said, "oh, that really would cost more $ so maybe we'll have to reschedule...." Trust me, it was not a complicated request. In the end she took a pony and made a bun like you'd make in your daughters hair in 5 seconds. The net of the wig was showing through in one spot!!
I expressed my disappointment but she said, "I'm not sure what you want".
Well she proceeded to take my $ and I walked out.
I came home crying. I am not wealthy, and I decided to spend more $ to go to her and actually have my wigs look good for once. I was so upset.

The worse thing is that on her Instagram she looks like the most amazing sheitel macher ever. She is busy flaunting about her "wig revamps"... and when I texted her about revamping my wig she said, "I don't know what you mean".

Sorry this was so long, but I just wish sheitel machers would be less snobby and more nice to people, regardless of how expensive my wig is.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:53 pm
Sounds so difficult.
When she asks what do you mean. Say "I'll explain..." Or "I'll explain again"

I saw your Instagram page and thought I'd finally have a nice looking sheitel for once. I'm so unhappy is there anything you can do?

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 2:02 pm
That sounds horrible!!! I actually to a non Jewish person now since I had an issue with a few local. Ppl. (one changed her hours and I was never able to actually pick up my wig, one hated me more for her doing it not her young girl when she literally juts pinned it to the head and nothing more) At least now I don't have any worries before Yom tov, etc.

I would tell her that you are unhappy and see what she would do.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:25 pm
OP, I disagree with the person saying you should tell her you're unhappy. I'd say never go back to her again. In the shop local thread there were people saying how in certain stores sales people size them up and don't want to help them if they're not carrying the right pocketbook or they don't have that well dressed look. I had the same thing at a popular sheitel macher. I saved to buy a really good wig and went to her. She paid no attention to what I asked for and sold me something awful. I went back a couple of times trying to get her to make it right or at least make it wearable. Each time I had an appointment I sat in a waiting area from where I could see her work. I saw her spend ages with an important client literally stopping to readjust single hairs. The customer would point out a hair in a spot and ask her to make it more or less wavy or position it differently and each time she played with it until the customer was happy. The first time I watched that I thought I was in the greatest place. Little did I know that behavior was reserved for certain clients and not others. She had no shame and didn't let me sit in her chair for more than a few minutes because she had people waiting. Never mind I had waited over an hour, once over two hours to see her. There's no reason to let a sheitel macher abuse you like that. There are plenty of decent women in this business, spend your mother there.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:41 pm
That's really frustrating. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. If you live in Lakewood you can pm for the name of a kind and patient and honest macher.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:02 pm
Unfortunately this is very common with sheitalmachers, I realized that after being burnt more than once.
Apparently only after you've proved to them that your constantly ready to buy new expensive sheitels by them and use them often then you will suddenly start receiving that amazing service.

Supermom#1

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:23 pm
that's quite an awful experience.
my take? forget about Instagram. Instead, if you see a wig you like on someone you know, ask them to recommend a friendly, skilled sheitelmacher.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:27 pm
Sorry
Had a bad experience with one recently also.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:49 pm
Ugh that's terrible! Unfortunately this is super common.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:00 pm
Don’t know why sheitel machers get such bad rap. I’ve only had the nicest experiences with the most talented and sweet ladies.

I’m sorry op Sad

silverlining3

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:16 pm
I can totally relate since I had the same.... Also supposedly top sheitel macher who does a phenomenal job.
Well, she makes herself sweet and does a great job only for those who she wants to.

I got married and went back to fix my wedding wig, made it for a Friday night. She washed it, cut/fixed it up, and said I can go home-she didn't blow dry it then. pick it up at night.

It was Thursday night. I trusted her. Comes Friday before the zman, I put on my wig.......I was mortified!!! It was simply cut uneven!!! I didn't go back to her, ever. And didn't recommend her to anyone. After shabs I went to a different one who recut it for $$.

Though I'll say, it was my only bad experience. All I have been using since my wedding were/are really nice and satisfying.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:52 pm
I also had a really bad experience with a local (Lakewood) sheitalmacher who is extremely popular but refused to treat me like her other customers because I bought a wig at a sale.
She sold me a wig that was way too small for my head when I was engaged and I had no idea how it was supposed to fit.
After that experience, I found someone else excellent who not only fixed the issue for a lot less than than I was quoted, but with amazing customer service as well. And now I recommend her to everyone!
Anon because I've told this story to so many people.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 11:54 am
I’ve had that too. It makes me so sad. I think some business owners only treat you nicely if you’re well known and will publicize them on social media, or if you obviously have money.
One sheitel macher took my money and never provided a wig - I’ve been waiting for so long and she always has excuses. Another one simply looked at me and told me she won’t do my wig for a simcha because it’s processed hair Sad I see them both on Instagram and wonder how can it be that people can seem so nice and spiritual and special on social media and then behave like this in real life.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:02 pm
Listen, it's all over like that. There are honest, good people and there are dishonest and nasty people. You just have to try to find the ones that jive with you.
Same story with repairmen, installers and what not!
Many times people prefer to go to the TOP shaitelmachers, even if they know that they'll have to wait forever and deal with not such great customer service, in order to go to the top.
And many people prefer to go with less popular, less ra ra people because they prefer more individual attention.
And many shaitel machers don't give such a great service because they can get away with it.
And many shaitel machers give great service and give you the time of day however, they usually are not the ones that people clamor to go to.
Go figure.

MiriW

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:43 pm
I recently had a terrible experience with a sheitel macher who doesn't even sell top quality wigs. I had an appt, didn't get individualized attention though because her friend was there at the same time and the friend was getting all of the attention. She hardly gave me the time of day, and acting as if she was waiting for me to leave so she could continue hanging out with her friend. She makes her own sheitels, they didn't seem to be top or even mid quality and I ended up going elsewhere. I spent more $ at the second salon, but got great customer service and very individualized attention. Just cause a sheitel macher is selling expensive wigs, doesn't mean she will behave snobby. I'm OOT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics